“Great food and now (?) great music” 4 of 5 bubbles

David Todd's City Tavern
Price range: US$14 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, French, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Elm Street
Description: Upscale casual dining with two different feels. The main dining room - more quiet, more refined. The lounge - Upbeat vibe, where the action is. Whatever your mood, we have what your looking for.
Florham Park, New Jersey
“Great food and now (?) great music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I've reviewed David Todd's before and was very turned off by the music (too loud and awful). I've read other reviews that complained about the music too. But my family remembered the good food and wanted to give it another shot. We went on a Saturday night and I must say we were very pleased. Perhaps the owner got the message, because the music was so low I couldn't even tell you what was playing. The new summer menu is pretty inventive. The oysters were very fresh and tasty. The entrees were great, especially the Churrasco Steak and Cobia. The service was top notch. It's somewhat pricey, but I'd rather have an expensive good meal than a cheaper so-so experience. Next time we'll return with higher expectations.

• Visited June 2014

Florham Park, New Jersey
“Liked It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I were looking for a different place to eat. We took a ride into Morristown over this past weekend and David Todd's caught our eye. Its a pleasant looking exterior with sidewalk dining. Inside, the restaurant is separated into 2 distinct areas, a more formal dining room and a less formal lounge area. We opted for the lounge because we just wanted a quick bite to eat and a drink. The lounge had a large bar and tables scattered around, the decor was like 1800's with real gas laterns for lighting etc. We had a couple of appetizers and dessert. Service was excellent, the wait staff were very friendly and we enjoyed ourselves there. Would definitely go back

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Joe L
Eatontown, New Jersey
“Below average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Had dinner here tonight and started with two appetizers, the fried calamari and beet salad. The calamari was good but lost any crispness due to being soaked in sauce. The beets were soft and tasted clearly like packaged beets, not fresh. My wife had halibut which had an extremely salty coating and was grossly overlooked and dried out. I had the seared tuna which was a nicely seared piece of tuna served standing in a hot broth. This dish seemed contradictory as the idea of searing tuna is to eat it rare, but the tuna continued to cook in the broth and therefore lost the searing. My daughter had the scallops which had an odd side dish and were average at best. I give this restaurant two stars only because our server was good and I liked the idea of wine flights. The selection of wine was odd and lacked upscale wines. We would not return.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Arthur A
Houston
“Menu never changes, nice surroundings but very average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

Been going here since moving to Morristown in 09-2012. Initially was impressed, however, on each subsequent visit the menu is the same and the food quality has dropped. Even the specials are pretty much the same just tweaked by season.

I was amazed to hear the chef is one of the 'Best Chefs of America'? On the last two visits my entree was poor and the server without asking removed it from the check commenting that it is a common occurrence with those items. If David Prusin is in the kitchen, he is not deserving of this accolade due to inadequate quality control, and lack of inspiration from the never changing menu.

The servers are always excellent although per some other reviews the food and drink service is slow so they have to work hard to keep the table happy but in our experience they normally deliver.

I said my last visit was the last unless the menu is updated as the average food is not worth the trip for the $$$s. Morristown needs places like this so I really do hope the chef has an epiphany and delivers food worthy of an award. For now, sadly, it is not.

• Visited December 2013
Morristown, NJ
“A Nice Addition to Morristown's Dining Scene”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stopped here with a friend after a long days worth of driving this past weekend. We shared 4 appetizers and some wine. Very pleased with the choices and the quality of the food. Will definitely revisit.

• Visited March 2014