“Choose your side!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Spent a very nice evening at Roots. When we called to make a reservation we were told 6:30 or 8:00. When we took a chance and arrived at 7:00 we were seated without a problem. I thought that was a bit odd.
Ambiance and service both excellent. Prices compare to best steakhouses but portions do not. Steak, scallops, and prime rib were all outstanding. My issue is with the sides -we tried the green beans, mashed potatoes, and fries. All a la carte, but disappointing in quality, quantity, and taste. This would be the only area that disappointed. I hope they improve these side dishes to then offer a completely outstanding dining experience.

1  Thank Nanaebal

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We dined here tonight for a special Anniversary but will most definitely return because this was honestly an outstanding dinner. I started with the lump crab cocktail and my husband had a mushroom soup special. Both were delicious! I had the petite filet, prepared exactly as I asked- as soft as butter to cut and was a top notch cut of beef, side of Bearnaise Sauce. My husband had the Chilean Sea Bass Special along with 2 sides- creamed spinach and whipped potatos; perfectly seasoned- hit just the right note. I can't say enough about the level of service- we felt pampered ! Other Reviewers mention the expense; but we found the prices to be fair for the quality of food served at Roots. We were delighted when our waiter brought a special dessert to celebrate our anniversary! Highest Recommendation for Roots.

1  Thank lesliesusan
Reviewed 2 August 2014

As avid steakhouse followers we tried Roots...First, the decor and service is wonderful..However that does not fill one's belly.....We had fair appetizers..The heirloom tomatoes with onion and gorgonzola was awful,they were hard and dry,,The tomatoes they claim are from Canada,,who ever heard of Canadian tomatoes?? especially when we have summer Jersey tomatoes...they agreed and took them off the tab...Both steaks were perfectly cooked,,however we both had to chew and chew and chew as the meat was very tough,,,,,$$$$ and disappointed,,we will never return..

1  Thank ItalianGuy11
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I had our standing "date night" dinner at Roots in Morristown last Friday night. It was a great meal from start to finish. We began with martinis, which were large enough to do the right amount of damage, and had a just-right gin-to-vermouth ratio. We moved on to the special oysters on the halfshell (kumamotos), which were fresh, icy-cold, sweet and yet briney at the same time. For salads, we had the Caesar (him), and the wedge with blue cheese (me). No new ground here, but both were well-made and enjoyable And last but not least, the entrees. Hubbie had the swordfish steak, which had a tomato-herb sauce and was fresh and piping hot; and I had a small filet mignon, which was perfectly prepared, with that devilishly good salty-peppery crust. It was absolutely a carnivore's delight. Service was attentive (though they do push the cocktails, I must say), without feeling that we were being hurried through our meal. My only complaints about the restaurant are that it's pricey (yikes, is it ever), and that at peak times (and remember, we were there on a Friday night at prime dining time), the noise level in the place can be utterly punishing, depending on where you're seated. But even so, the food was still some of the best we've eaten in New Jersey lately, and we won't hesitate to come back for "another round."

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I've been to most of the high end chain steak houses and this was by far the worst. The atmosphere is good although it was packed with plenty of 30-65 year old Morristown resident's who think they are rich and important but were too ugly to make it on to the The Real Housewives of New Jersey. The Kobe sliders, which I requested medium rare, were burn to a crisp and presented as three charred hockey pucks with catsup and spicy mustard. Oddly, the mustard was the best part of the appetizer. The side dishes were equally disappointing with the exception of the sweet potato fries which were solid. The much anticipating mac n' cheese was so mediocre that a table of five didn't polish off the small plate we ordered for all of us to share. We all thought the meats were ok...as they should be, but with the rest of the meal being so weak and uninspiring, how could anyone return for the outrageous prices. On the upside, the wine list is solid and the location is convenient. I hate spending lots of money on a crappy meal and I will be reminded again when I have to pay my credit card bill for this garbage. With so many options in Morristown, it is a wonder how this place stays open. Will not return.

1  Thank Nicawag