“Loved the food, but the service caught us by suprise”

Millie's Old World Meatballs and Pizza
Ranked #10 of 155 Restaurants in Morristown
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Evoking memories of bountiful “Sunday Suppers” where families gathered around the table to share recipes passed down from generation to generation, Millie’s Old World Meatballs & Pizza is bringing that same convivial feeling of a close knit Italian family to everyone. Millie’s is a restaurant rooted in one family’s commitment to preserving the “Old World” in terms of recipes and traditions but steps into the “New World” with modern ambiance and décor.Named after their grandmother Millie, the restaurant is the brainchild of two brothers seeking to share their passion for Italian food and celebration of the Italian culture of their heritage. “We were fortunate to grow up in a family that respects Italian traditions and by opening Millie’s, we want to share our love of culinary classics like meatballs and pizza” note the Brothers.The team behind Millie’s is passionate about pizza, both the coal-fired and the Neapolitan styles. Thanks to “dueling ovens”, pies from both varieties are offered. Inspired by childhood visits to Totonno’s, the legendary Coney Island pizzeria, the coal oven burns over 1,000 degrees and can produce pies in five minutes. The signature Millie’s pie combines sautéed tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and a sprinkling of parmesan. The Neapolitan wood oven, hand built by Italy’s celebrated Ferrara family, and imported from Naples, cooks pizzas, such as the Margherita, in just 90 seconds thanks to the intense 800 degree heat.Fried meatballs were a holiday tradition with family members waiting all day for the beef balls to come out of the frying pan. Fortunately, customers at Millie’s can order from the Fried Meatball station and Cheese bar at any time. Drawing upon Grandma Millie’s recipe, guests can choose to have their meatballs on platters, heroes (with fresh Italian Bread) or even in takeaway “Bag of Balls.” No matter the method, one constant is the side of marinara sauce for dipping. Just as baked meatballs are considered unacceptable at Millie’s, so is the mixing of balls and sauce. Each order of meatballs will be accompanied by a bowl of ricotta and marinara sauce for dipping.While the food is firmly rooted in the traditional, the décor will be modern. One wall of the 4200 square foot space will be exposed brick while mosaics of grey and black tiles decorate the surrounding surface. Red accents and dim lighting contribute to the sleek, lounge like ambiance. Guests can grab a booth while they sip a beverage of their choice (the restaurant will be BYOB). In warm weather, outdoor seating will be on offer.Neapolitan Wood Fired Oven PizzaMillie’s Old World features a Stefano Ferrara oven which was built by hand in Italy and shipped by sea. The oven is made from volcanic stones from Mount Vesuvius. This 100% wood fired oven allows us to cook pizza in 90 seconds due to its constant 900 degree temperature. Our pizza is made with only soft grain Caputo flour “00”, water, all natural fresh yeast, sea salt, the finest tomatoes, and our home made fresh mozzarella prepared each morning. Our flour is imported from Italy and is world renowned for being able to produce an extremely light elastic chewy crust. Unlike flours used in most “American pizza,” our flour is free of malts and preservatives. The wheat grains go through 21 milling processes to give it a unique silky smooth texture. Our tomatoes are much less acidic and have a fresher taste then paste “tomato sauce.” In order to ensure Millie’s masters the art of this specialty type of pizza, our family and head chef has been trained and certified by one of the most respected Pizzaiolo’s in the world.Coal Fired PizzaMillie’s Old World Coal Fired Mosaic Oven gives the pizza a unique smoky flavor and a crisp crust that is just not possible with gas, convention, or a wood oven. As a family, knowing the coal fired oven is a unique art, we wanted to ensure that future generations will be able to experience this distinct pizza we enjoyed growing up in Brooklyn and Staten Island. This oven requires an exceptional amount of commitment and skill. A coal fire is much more challenging to start and is more difficult to manage than a wood fire or gas burner. Coal has roughly twice the heat/energy potential of wood so accessing and managing its potential energy when and where you need it can be challenging. Unlike a wood fire, a coalfire will not let you stir its fire or move it around without consequence. Balancing the open flame of a coal fire with the intensity of the coal bed becomes the daily challenge. As a family we have specialized for years on producing some of the best gourmet pies we believe are the best in the world.
Vienna, Virginia
“Loved the food, but the service caught us by suprise”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We found this place on yelp, and felt it was worth checking out. The ambiance was really nice, and the smell of fresh pizza was just amazing. I highly recommend the meatballs with vodka sauce as a meal because it was so filling and yummy. My dinner guest received the wrong pizza because of miscommunication, and the server gave her an EXTREMELY hard time. We didn't appreciate being blamed for the mistake, and it should of just been settled. The issue was resolved and the manager was great. I have to say the food was good, but the customer service was not what I had expected. Our bill got comped, so they did as much as they can do.

I just believe you never argue with the customer because word of mouth is a dangerous thing. Much like writing a review like this. I can honestly say I would given a higher review if they didn't fight us they way did.

The neighborhood was really nice, and the restaurant had a very nice family theme to it. i also saw a lot of younger people there which was nice.

• Visited August 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Very Good Fresh Made Italian Pizzas and Meatballs”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were pleasantly surprized when we visited for lunch. The atmosphere is modern and clean. The staff were very helpful and honest. Our server actually noted that the portions are very large including the salads. We had the meatballs with mozzarella. Both are made in house along with the sauces. The meatballs actually tasted like meat, not breading. The cheese was creamy and fresh. The house salad was large with nice dressing. Looking forward to the next visit to try the pizzas. Remember BYOB.

1 Thank Johnanddon1
Bedminster, New Jersey
“Good pizza, but not going back.”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I ordered a coal-fired pizza here, and it was fantastic. Only minor complaint about it was that the pizza actually could have been hotter. The reasons I probably won't come back, however, are the following:

1. The SERVICE was sub-par. When we first walked in, the hostess was on the phone. Why is the hostess on the phone accepting take-out orders? Who manages this place? We had to wait several minutes for someone else to meander outside to seat us and the other folks waiting for a table;

2. LACK OF CLEANLINESS. I watched the guy who sliced my pizza touch my pizza all over with his bare hands as he was cutting it. As soon as he finished cutting it, he wiped the counter with his bare hand! Sorry - that type of thing doesn't work for me!

3. Staff was LAZY / SLOPPY. On my way out, I almost tripped on a big bus bin that was left on the floor right in the middle of the walk way! Who does that!? We also had to ask for everything, including a fork and knife, as well as water for the table.

4. PRICE. My complaint is not that the prices are too expensive (but they are on the higher side), it is that the prices are illogical and inconsistent across the menu. If you want a wood-fired pizza, it only comes in one size - a "personal" size that is cut up into only 4 slices (according to what our waitress said). The average price is about $18 for one. On the other hand, you can get a large coal-fired pizza with toppings for only about $24. To me, that just doesn't make sense, and goes to show that whoever is running this place does not really know what he or she is doing. They're lucky that their food is good, however, that is literally the only thing they have going for them. Oh, and the decor was nice. Big deal.

Watertown, Connecticut
“Good food”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We went to Millie's about 6 pm on Sat night . The food was very good -we had pizza and salad.

The crust was thinner than I would have liked but there was no choice on the wood-fired pizzas.
Coal fired pizzas sounded kind of strange so we did not try them.
The chef salad was good with cheese etc. and could have been a whole meal. The prices were
a little high but I am not from around this area. My biggest complaint was that it was so noisy.
that it ws hard to talk to my companion Other than that the atmosphere was nice and I would go back.

1 Thank sybil g
Morris County, NJ
“Over-rated”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I along with 6 close friends gathered for dinner at Millie's based on favorable recommendations we had received. The restaurant's specialties are meatballs and pizza as can be gleaned from it's name. It's a BYO place and we showed up with 3 bottle of red wine. Our group ordered one of each of the three salads they offered. The best was the Arcadia salad which of candied walnuts, gorganzola cheese, apple-wood smoked bacon over a bed of mixed greens with an apricot vinaigrette dressing. It was quite good and large enough to share among 3 of us. A great start. From there, we ordered the house specialty, a "pot of 12 balls in marinara sauce" ($53!) This dish consists of 12, 1/4 pound meatballs served in a steel pot with marinara sauce. The hook is that you get to take the pot home and, when you return with it, you can order the meatballs at a discount. To me, aside from the size, the meatballs were nothing special. They lacked taste and the sauce didn't taste much different that what you would find in a jar at the supermarket. Adequate, but nothing special. The 3rd act of our dinner consisted of 3 pizzas. The restaurant prepares there pizzas in two different ways - either in a coal fired over (900 degrees) or in a wood fired oven (600 degrees, I think) The coal fired pies are thicker with a crispier crust. The wood fired are of a softer consistency. I order the house Signature coal-fired pie ($22) made with peeled tomatoes, garlic, mozzarella cheese, a hint of basil and dusted with pecorino romano cheese. I found the pie to be OK. The crust was very tasty but frankly I have had better tasting pizza pies at other restaurants. (My all-time favorite is the Reservoir Tavern in Boonton NJ)

In summary, the restaurant is certainly adequate but there are many other choices in the area. The service was quite good, but the acoustics made the experience a bit noisy. The parking on the street can be a challenge, but, as I learned during our visit, there is parking available behind the restaurant which is accessed by driving around the block.