“I wish there were more hotels like the Madison!”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I have stayed at the Madison Hotel 4 times for my college reunions and college events. This hotel is a real gem! The lobby is so beautiful, luxurious and beautifully decorated with wood paneling and a sunken conversation area, plus it has tons of additional conversations areas for people to gather. When my college girlfriends and I get together in the lobby in between the college events, we have always found a spot to claim as our own. It feels like someone's comfortable living room.
The rooms are very large and have wonderful furniture and the beds are very comfortable. In general, the place is spotless.
They have a very nice restaurant called Rod's Steak House which has a great atmosphere. It's been there since way before the new hotel was built next to it and annexed it. It's full of old-world atmosphere and lots of good food.
The prices are at the Madison are so reasonable that it might scare some off, thinking it's too good to be true, but try it because this place is the real deal! The reality matches the photos!

Room Tip: All rooms are more or less equal
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
smcarthur, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Thank you for your kind words, we truly appreciate your business and loyalty to our hotel and restaurant. Thank you for taking the time to visit Trip Advisor to comment on your experience. Please visit us again whenever you visit Northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 14 June 2011

The Madison still shows its grand past. The lobby is nicely appointed. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean, but not up to date. Complimentary continental breakfast was very good, but there were only small tables to seat. Abundant parking space.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
smcarthur, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2011

Thank you for visiting Trip Advisor and posting a comment. I am glad you found the complimentary breakfast good, your rooms clean and spacious and the lobby nicely appointed.
Please visit us again anytime you travel to northern New Jersey or NYC.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We stayed for two nights at the Madison for a wedding of dear friends' son. The glass enclosed solarium was the site of the wedding, and it provided a lovely setting for the ceremony. Afterwards, the guests enjoyed a superb appetizer time in a library room. The food here and at the reception in the adjoining room were excellent. The room was more than adequate. The lobby provided a choice breakfast in the a.m., and addtional snacks in the afternoon. We loved the surrounding area with all the historical sites and darling NJ towns.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
smcarthur, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

A wedding in our Conservatory truly is a special experience and I am glad you had the opportunity to be part of one. It is a beautiful setting for any event. Thank you for visiting Trip Advisor and commenting on our hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you visit us again whenever you visit Northern New Jersey or New York City.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I would recommend not staying here unless you like the smell of boiled fish and vanilla or you have anosmia. The strange stench is all pervading and commented on by all of our team, plus one or two overheard conversations as well! The hotel is very chintzy and threadbare, but was very busy, so it must be pleasing some guests.
I also got locked out of my room - as the card reader failed 'Oh they are always doing that..' the night-porter helpfully added - one and a half hours later I was back in my room after a morning run - still waiting for any apology from the management!!
Lots of noise on the railway side - be sure to check where your room is.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Big_Shug

First I would like to apologize for the failure of the lock on your room, as I am sure you know sometimes technology gets in the way of progress and does not always work like it should. And although we would like to think hotel room locks never break, they do and have in every hotel around the world, unfortunately for safety reasons they are electronic and unlike your household locks cannot be fixed quickly. That being said, the delay which quite often is less then it really is was due to the fact that the engineer at great personal risk to himself decided to find a large ladder and climb two stories up, disengage the window, climb through it and open the door from the inside out. I know it seems crazy but he felt you had been waiting too long already and his training and commitment to do whatever it takes took over and he solved the problem the best way he knew how. I am sorry and disappointed that no one apologized to you, I assumed that the Manager on Duty at the time as well as the Front Desk Clerk would have. I will correct that, I also took the liberty of crediting your account for your entire stay. You should not and will not have to pay for our problem. Although all hotels do their best to be everything to everyone obviously the character and timelessness of our property did not appeal to you, but it does appeal to many others. Many of those guests have posted comments on Trip Advisor and as you said in your comments the Madison Hotel is in fact "busy" and we are "pleasing some guests". If you would like to discuss this with me personally, please do not hesistate to call and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

After traveling from Canada to PA, next day to Morristown to meet my son who was house hunting, I was surprised and pleased to be able to check in early (11AM), with a coffee pot at the ready! On short notice my son was able to use an open-out sofa in the room for no extra charge. He was also able to use the computer in the lobby during the night to research listings, after the battery died on his own. What could have been a very stressful, short visit, was made pleasant by the elegant surroundings, gracious service, comfortable bed, wonderful breakfast. Would love to return for a more relaxing visit.
St. Catharines, ON

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind words, I am glad you found the hotel elegant with gracious service, comfortable beds (we get that all the time) and a wonderful breakfast. I was thrilled to hear we we able to reduce your stress and that you would love to return for a relaxing visit. We have some excellent Getaway Packages that would be perfect for that. Thank you staying with us and please do not hesitate to visit us again.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

we went to the Madison for a wedding. lovely hotel and very cost effective. free internet free car parking. Just an hours train ride from new york city it could be the cheaper option. a very comfortable hotel nice rooms and a buffet breakfast thrown in. would return

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
smcarthur, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to visit Trip Advisor to post a comment about our hotel. I am very happy to hear you would return and wanted to let you know that we do provide complimentary shuttle transportation anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel. I am also glad you found the hotel "great", "lovely" and "very comfortable" with nice rooms. Please feel free anytime you visit northern New Jersey or New York City (it is a very easy commute with the midtown direct train station directly behind our hotel and is most definitely a much cheaper option then NYC hotel with the quiet of the country, free breakfast, free wifi, nightly turndown, etc. It is a much better value for your money) to stay wth us. Thank you again for staying with us and letting readers of Trip Advisor hear about your experiences.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights on business and must say I was impressed with this spacious hotel located on the outskirts of Morristown and right next to Madison [aka Sopranons country!]

Hotel was spacious and reasonably priced compared to what you would pay in New York and only 1 hour from Manhattan easily accessed via car or train. Rooms as you would expect very clean and well maintained although a bit old fashioned but this might just be the style. Not much to do within walking distance but only a mile or so from Madison Town.

Overall a good hotel with many amenities ie golf,shopping New York nearby.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

I thought you might find it interesting that our hotel was actually seen on an episode of The Sopranos. Our restaurant Rod's Steak & Seafood Grill was the setting for a scene featuring Tony Soprano himself. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and for taking the time to visit Trip Advisor and comment on your experiences at the Madison Hotel. We really appreciate your business and hope you visit us again. We do provide local transportation complimentary within 5 miles and are located directly in front of the train station that houses the midtown direct train into NYC. With prices so high in NYC, our hotel located only 1 hour away by train is a terrific value and includes complimentary continental breakfast, free wifi, nightly turndown service, etc. Thank you again for staying with us and please return anytime your visit northern New Jersey or NYC.

862-345-5500

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!