“A bit dated, but wonderful respite from the road”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We loved the idea of staying away from the chain hotels, and the Madison fit the bill. The hotel is a bit dated, and they do a LOT of special events in the beautiful Atrium, but the restaurant is great and you will never know that there is a wedding in the next room! We have stayed here twice. On our first stay we ate in the restaurant, and the next time we ate at the bar and watched the game. Both times the food and service were very good. The first room we checked in to was lovely. On our second stay, the room was fine, but the TV kept kicking off, annoying for a fan whose team was playing! Maintenance came promptly and fixed the problem. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Thank you for staying with us on two separate occasions and for trying our two fine restaurants. We truly do appreciate your business and hope you stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed here during Hurricane Irene and the staff was great. They went out of their way to accommodate guests and they were VERY well prepared. Flashlights were in every room along with emergency instructions.

We ate at Rod's, the restaurant attached to the hotel, which is arguably the best steak house in NJ and better than most in NYC. The meal was exceptional.

My only complaint would be that the rooms seemed outdated. They are far from modern, but at least spacious.

The restaurant and service skewed our opinion favorably. Otherwise, some people may be annoyed with the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for acknowledging how prepared we were during Hurricane Irene, I am glad to know that in spite of the dangerous weather we were able to keep you safe and secure. It was great to hear how much you enjoyed our award winning steak and seafood restaurant Rod's and I hope you visit us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

I do not know what this facility was like before, but clearly a terrific renovation was done here. The room was tastefully decorated with period wallpaper and beautifully coordinated drapery. All standard amenities that are expected at a 4star hotel were present; flat screen TV, complimentary internet, toiletries, THREE WAY BULBS in the lamps (that's unheard of), bath mat AND tub mat (big help in avoiding slipping and falling risks), daily USA Today, Keurig coffeemaker, etc. The staff was unusually attentive and accommodating to every need; they even offered assistance when circumstances hinted that there might be a need. I slept through the complimentary continental breakfast but I'm confident it was adequate. The heating/AC unit was alittle dated so perfect temperature control was evasive but that seemed to be llimited by the age and stucture of the building. Overall, bravo! I would like to see some name chain hotels follow this example.

Room Tip: Noise was not an issue for me . Some travellers may prefer room with a better view. I overlooked the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind words about all that our hotel has to offer, I am thrilled we were able to exceed your expectations. I also appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your business and please stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We have stayed at the Madison hotel several times and are former residents of the area. It is a 'period piece' like no other, well known for weddings in the glass atrium. It is an older hotel with atmosphere and has it's own train station for direct connection to NYC.

Wedding weekends can be a little noisy, so inquire at the desk to be away from wedding parties if that is important.

After several stays, a generous suite upgrade overlooking the front entrance was a special treat.

If you're just passing through, it is worth walking through the lobby, touring the ground floor and stopping into Rod's Restaurant which we give 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you're staying for several days, it is worth requesting a refrigerator in the room.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for being a loyal guest of the Madison Hotel and Rod's Steak and Seafood Grille we trully appreciate your continued business and hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel during a trip in NYC. We slept there in order to enter in NYC soon the next morning. It is a great hotel and very well located near NYC. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and super clean. The is a pool and a hot tub, and also a free breakfast. We paid 64$ for this hotel…the best deal I made in my life!!
I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you staying with us and posting your comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate you saying that the Madison Hotel is a "great hotel" with spacious comfortable rooms that are super clean and for highly recommending us. Please stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

I stay at the Madison at least monthly, and it is a terrific hotel and very well-located. The rooms are spacious, and the continental breakfast is excellent. The staff is helpful, and the rooms are very clean. The new casual restaurant on site is a great choice for lunch or dinner and much more reasonably priced than Rod's. I highly recommend this property to those traveling in this area. Much nicer than most chains.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with an easy chair.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Thank you for your business and loyalty to the Madison Hotel, please stop by and introduce yourself the next time you stay with us. I also appreciate you highly recommending our hotel and saying that the Madison Hotel is "much nicer than most chains". I was happy to hear you call the hotel "terrific" and "an excellent property" with spacious clean rooms, a helpful staff and an excellent complimentary deluxe cold breakfast buffet. In response to your room tip, the rooms with the easy chairs are king rooms. I know our guests will appreciate your help. Thanks again and hopefully we will meet soon.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

I worked with Cynthia Wittig at the Madison to plan a 3 day offsite for my company this past March. I couldn't have been more pleased with the level of service that she provided. She went above and beyond to think of details that hadn't even occurred to me. The execution of her vision/plan was perfect. She and catering manager Tommy are stars! It also needs to be said that they have an on-site pastry chef like no other. Over the 3 days, our corporate leadership team enjoyed the most wonderful food, and especially desserts! The whole hotel is like a throwback in terms of concierge-level service from top to bottom. In my mind, they match the finest hotels in much larger metropolitan areas. Thank you, Cynthia!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for thinking of and staying with us for your corporate meeting event. We truly appreciate the business. I am so proud of our corporate sales and banquet team and I was thrilled to hear that Cynthia made such a strong impression on you as well as Tom. The team at the Madison Hotel can handle all sorts of events both social and corporate with uncompromising levels of "throwback" service ("execution of her vision/plan was perfect"), attention to detail ("went above and beyond to think of details that hadn't even occured to you")and excellent food and beverage (on-site pastry chef and butcher for the freshest pastries and best cuts of fresh beef) in a upscale, luxury boutique setting. I am glad your event was a success and you found our property equal to some of "the finest hotels in larger metropolitan areas". Please consider the Madison Hotel in the future and recommend us and our restaurants Rod's Steak & Seafood Grille and GK's Red Dog Tavern to your friends and co-workers.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!