“A good place to stay: recommended”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I stayed for one night, the night that my high school reunion was held at the hotel. My room was well decorated, and very clean although the peripheral area of rug near the wall had some dust that could be easily removed with a vacuum attachment. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The closet space was part of a large attractive wood unit that opened up to a flat screen TV, a set of drawers (all very clean inside), and on both ends a tiny bit of closet space, one side of which was used for an ironing board and iron; the closet space was fine for the one night, but if two people were to stay overnight for several days it would be insufficient. That being said, I was happy with the room, which was above average in quality. The hotel is very attractive, with a nicely decorated lobby area, and the food served at the reunion buffet was very good. The continental breakfast was generous and had more than enough food. I was surprised there wasn't a safe in the room. There are safes at the hotel desk which are limited in size; I was able to store my Nook and my wallet in there but if I had desired to store a laptop it wouldn't have fit in the largest size safe box, which I was shown.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for visiting Trip Advisor to comment about your stay. Your comments about the property, "very clean room, "bed and pillows very comfortable", "very attractive hotel", and "generous breakfast buffet" are much appreciated but the fact you recommended us to others is the highest compliment we can ask for. Thank you for doing that and please stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

There are newer reviews for The Madison Hotel

Reviewed 9 November 2011

Very cute hotel, especially the lobby which was a comfortable place to read and just relax. Everything is spotless and clean! Our room was very comfortable and quiet, especially at night when the hotel events ended which is often a loud and annoying time at other hotels. I realized I had forgotten some toiletries and within 5 minutes of requesting them, they were brought to my room! We ordered Rod's (steakhouse attached to hotel) room service for dinner. The food arrived hot and was absolutely delicious! Also in a great location! Plenty of shopping, eating and things to do nearby! I went to a wedding here several years ago and I remember the party room being beautiful and decorated tastefully, and having a wonderful time! Both of my experiences at the Madison were excellent and I can't wait to return for another stay!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments, the team and I truly appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay on Trip Advisor as well as your business. I am glad you found everything "spotless and clean" and the food "hot and absolutely delicious". We look forward to having you return as our guest whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We loved the idea of staying away from the chain hotels, and the Madison fit the bill. The hotel is a bit dated, and they do a LOT of special events in the beautiful Atrium, but the restaurant is great and you will never know that there is a wedding in the next room! We have stayed here twice. On our first stay we ate in the restaurant, and the next time we ate at the bar and watched the game. Both times the food and service were very good. The first room we checked in to was lovely. On our second stay, the room was fine, but the TV kept kicking off, annoying for a fan whose team was playing! Maintenance came promptly and fixed the problem. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Thank you for staying with us on two separate occasions and for trying our two fine restaurants. We truly do appreciate your business and hope you stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed here during Hurricane Irene and the staff was great. They went out of their way to accommodate guests and they were VERY well prepared. Flashlights were in every room along with emergency instructions.

We ate at Rod's, the restaurant attached to the hotel, which is arguably the best steak house in NJ and better than most in NYC. The meal was exceptional.

My only complaint would be that the rooms seemed outdated. They are far from modern, but at least spacious.

The restaurant and service skewed our opinion favorably. Otherwise, some people may be annoyed with the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for acknowledging how prepared we were during Hurricane Irene, I am glad to know that in spite of the dangerous weather we were able to keep you safe and secure. It was great to hear how much you enjoyed our award winning steak and seafood restaurant Rod's and I hope you visit us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 27 October 2011

I do not know what this facility was like before, but clearly a terrific renovation was done here. The room was tastefully decorated with period wallpaper and beautifully coordinated drapery. All standard amenities that are expected at a 4star hotel were present; flat screen TV, complimentary internet, toiletries, THREE WAY BULBS in the lamps (that's unheard of), bath mat AND tub mat (big help in avoiding slipping and falling risks), daily USA Today, Keurig coffeemaker, etc. The staff was unusually attentive and accommodating to every need; they even offered assistance when circumstances hinted that there might be a need. I slept through the complimentary continental breakfast but I'm confident it was adequate. The heating/AC unit was alittle dated so perfect temperature control was evasive but that seemed to be llimited by the age and stucture of the building. Overall, bravo! I would like to see some name chain hotels follow this example.

Room Tip: Noise was not an issue for me . Some travellers may prefer room with a better view. I overlooked the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind words about all that our hotel has to offer, I am thrilled we were able to exceed your expectations. I also appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your business and please stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We have stayed at the Madison hotel several times and are former residents of the area. It is a 'period piece' like no other, well known for weddings in the glass atrium. It is an older hotel with atmosphere and has it's own train station for direct connection to NYC.

Wedding weekends can be a little noisy, so inquire at the desk to be away from wedding parties if that is important.

After several stays, a generous suite upgrade overlooking the front entrance was a special treat.

If you're just passing through, it is worth walking through the lobby, touring the ground floor and stopping into Rod's Restaurant which we give 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you're staying for several days, it is worth requesting a refrigerator in the room.
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for being a loyal guest of the Madison Hotel and Rod's Steak and Seafood Grille we trully appreciate your continued business and hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel during a trip in NYC. We slept there in order to enter in NYC soon the next morning. It is a great hotel and very well located near NYC. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and super clean. The is a pool and a hot tub, and also a free breakfast. We paid 64$ for this hotel…the best deal I made in my life!!
I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you staying with us and posting your comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate you saying that the Madison Hotel is a "great hotel" with spacious comfortable rooms that are super clean and for highly recommending us. Please stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!