“You can book the Honeymoon Suite online”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Was looking for a hotel near Morristown for a one night stay, found this place online and wanted to book a large room/suite that had a hot tub. Their website was a little confusing to me, I was not sure if there were other rooms with hot tubs, or if the only one that had a hot tub was the one called "Presidential Suite." So I called them and was told that the Presidential Suite, which they also refer to as their Honeymoon Suite, was the only one with a hot tub and that it was booked for the night I wanted. I told the woman on the phone that it looked like it was available on their website and she told me that I could book it online if I wanted it. She explained that they save the Presidential Suite for weddings but, if no wedding is booked, they make it available online. So, if you call them and are told it is unavailable, check the website.

Pros: nice big room, kitchenette area with desk and two chairs, huge four poster bed. Huge fancy walk in shower with multiple wall jets.

Not pros: only one bathrobe in the closet--?? Not sure why only one bathrobe for the honeymoon suite, I guess someone doesn't get to wear one...
Turned on the hot tub jets and Wow! Thought I was inside a Boeing engine! After I recovered from laughing hysterically at how loud the jets were, I was able to reach the button to turn them off. So, it was basically a large bathtub. Someone needs to check that out, it is definitely not normal for them to be that loud. The one advantage of the loud hot tub jets was that they drowned out the sounds of all the people getting off the elevators that are on the other side of the same wall. Not sure why the "Honeymoon Suite" is right next to the elevator bank, it is certainly not the most private location in the hotel! And the walls are very thin! We could almost make out conversations on the other side of the wall.

Unfortunately did not get a chance to check out the antiques in the rest of the facility, apparently the restuarant has some very special old pieces in it. The lobby of the hotel is pretty stunning, though, with one of the only five remaining Louis Comfort Tiffany carved mahogany mantelpieces as the centerpiece.

Overall, a very nice hotel, I would stay here again, but I'll probably skip the hot tub suite next time!

1  Thank gardenstate029
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on TripAdvisor. Thank you for saying that we have a very nice hotel and letting us know about the hot tub and missing robe. I am glad you would stay with us again and hope you will return whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

There are newer reviews for The Madison Hotel

Reviewed 15 December 2011

This is a first class hotel with alot of character an a great value. The staff is very attentive. The food and bar are at Rod's is excellent. We have stayed there many times and would not think of staying anyplace else in the area,

1  Thank luckyshamrock34

Thank you for staying with us and no where else whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC. We appreciate your loyalty and I was happy to hear you found the staff attentive and food and bar excellent. Thank you again for your business and for posting your comments about your stay on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

We hosted our wedding cocktail and reception at the Madison hotel. It was a great hit. The venue is beautiful, I absolutely love their conservatory room and their ballroom. Tim Mchale and Charles helped us and accommodated all of our needs. It is not just any old chain hotel. This hotel has a lot of character, class, history, and is unique. I can't wait for our pictures to arrive, I am sure the background setting of this hotel will enhance our pictures. The guest rooms are wonderful as well. Not a single guest complained and all of them complimented me on the choice of our venue. I hope that their service and venue remain wonderful forever.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lovetotell

Congratulations on your wedding and thank you for allowing the Madison Hotel to be a part of your very special day. I am so happy that you found the venue beautiful (you made a great choice!) including the Conservatory, ballroom and guest rooms and that all your needs were met. Thank you again and please feel free to return whenever you are in northern NJ or NYC, we would be happy to serve you again.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

We are from the area, but wanted an easy night away. Our usual favorite place, the Short Hills Hilton, was booked, so we tried the Madison Hotel. What a wonderful unexpected experience! This hotel is so beautiful, from another time (but with modern amenities) and the staff was truly exceptional. We had a few problems - very spoiled ones- WiFi and Movies on Demand for example weren't working in our room, but the staff was immediately attentive and solved the problem!

Rod's Steakhouse was top-notch (coming from two former Manhattanites!) Very old-school in the care and attention by the bartender and wait staff, meaning-you felt the individual care, passion and training to make your experience a great one. Plus, the food was amazing. Their lobby has a gorgeous fireplace, numerous lounge areas and complimentary breakfast. It was great! I would like to end, that the rate for what you get is unbelievable. It seemed too good to be true but met expectations and then some! (and I swear I am not affiliated in any way with the Madison Hotel. )

Room Tip: Make sure (although staff was aware enough to ask us) to tell check-in staff if you are part of a we...
1  Thank Colleen S

Thank you for staying with us and for commenting about your stay on Trip Advisor, I was thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you found the food amazing and most importantly that you found the staff truly exceptional. We appreciate your comments and hope that you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my recent stay at the beautiful and elegant Madison Hotel. My wife and I originally are from the tri-state area. The Madison Hotel and adjacent Rod's Restaurant were among our favorite weekend respite destinations during our early married years living and working in New York. We particularly loved to visit during the Christmas season. Prior to my stay last week, however, I had not been back to the Madison since prior to my move to Florida 21 years ago.

To my great delight, I found the hotel and its amenities as elegant and beautiful as my wife and I remembered them to be. In addition, the service provided by staff was still extremely personal, friendly, and professional. The complimentary continental breakfast included a wonderful selection of fruits, cereals, yogurts, and freshly baked pastries and croissants served in a beautifully appointed and furnished lobby area. I would recommend the Madison to anyone who wants the atmosphere of a small elegant country inn/boutique hotel with the fine service and amenities of a larger hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank James A

Thank you for staying with us and commenting about your stay on Trip Advisor. It is a nice testament to our management team and ownership that after 21 years you still found our hotel just as beautiful and elegant as it was last time your were here. More importantly I am glad to hear that you found the staff extremely personal, friendly and professional and that you would recommend our hotel. Please stay with us anytime you visit NYC or northern NJ and please do not wait 21 more years to return.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

I was totally impressed with the caliber of this hotel for the price we paid. The lobby area is very warm and welcoming. The availability of coffee/tea was certainly a plus. The included continental breakfast was also more than expected. Didn't have a chance to eat at Rod's but hoping to get up that way again in the Spring.

Room Tip: If you would like to get in some walking there is a paved trail beyond the railroad station.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2011

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your comments about The Madison Hotel on Trip Advisor. The team and I are happy that you were totally impressed, found the lobby warm and welcoming, the cold breakfast buffet better then expected and enjoyed the coffee/tea/hot chocolate that is available all day every day. We look forward to your return and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ because as you said we are truly a "great value".

Reviewed 16 November 2011

Have stayed in past years on business. Last five years have stayed for R&R. Have always been treated as a frequent guest by all the staff. Parking is easy. Train to New York City feet from the hotel parking lot (along city block). Room Service quick and always been hot. What I like best is is a family own hotel an not just another chain hotel. The room has always been very clean and have always paid a fair price. The bellhops can not do enough for the guest an always have time for just one more question.

Room Tip: Never had a bad room
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank PHL27L
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2011

Thank you for your comments, your loyalty to The Madison Hotel and for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor. The team and I hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!