“Charming”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 4 January 2012

My stay at The Madison Hotel was wonderful! It was close to the hospital where my husband was having major surgery. The staff were so kind and understanding, and even switched me to a ground floor to make my "back and forth" a little easier. The hotel is charming, and my room was immaculate. When my husband is all healed up, I'm bringing him to The Madison to show him what he missed. Deborah P., Cranford, NJ

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. The team and I hope for a speedy recovery for your husband and a healthy and happy new year for you and all your loved ones. Please email me or call me and let me know how he is doing. Thank you again and make sure you stay with us when your husband is well enough to travel.

862-345-5500
smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com

Reviewed 3 January 2012

What a wonderful hotel! I grew up ten miles away and never set foot in the place, but I'm glad I have. You're welcomed into the hotel with a grand entrance, then greeted by very friendly and helpful hotel staff who are interested in making your stay as comfortable as possible. Great pillows and an amazingly comfortable bed that was hard to get out of each morning. The climate in the room is wonderful, AND, you can get FRESH air because the windows actually open. For the amenities, there's no frig in your room but who cares when the daily turn down service brings buckets of ice to your door, delivered with a big smile. On the first level there is a great pool and jacuzzi, an exercise room, and walking trails nearby. When you're hungry, each morning enjoy the complimentary breakfast that has a great variety of food to help you start your day right (since breakfast IS the most important meal of the day). As for dinner, Madison and Morristown have great places to eat, all within a few miles drive, but for something more local, you don't even have to put on your coat to have dinner because there are two restaurants on site. If you are headed to Manhattan, keep your car parked in the hotel parking lot and walk over to the Convent Station stop that goes right into the City. Seriously, what more do need??

Would I stay here again - YES, absolutely with no question!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad we exceeded your expectations and I was thrilled to hear your thoughts on the staff; "very friendly and helpful". We strive to be a "home away from home" for all our guests and based on your wonderful feedback we achieved our goal. Thanks again and please stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Great place to stay in N. NJ. Nice room (we had a Jr. Suite), spacious, quiet, great breakfast, teriffic staff, fine amenities (pool, etc). Free parking on premises. A 5 minute walk to train station to NY City (1 hour away), and adjoins Rod's, a teriffic restaurant with great prime steaks/chops in fine dining plus a pub for more casual fare.
Big bonuses are that it is close to Morristown Memorial Hospital and the easy in/out to the Big Apple. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Upgrade (nominally) to a Jr. Suite.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2011

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and for taking the time to comment about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed the nice, quiet spacious room, great complimentary cold breakfast buffet, terrific staff, free parking, proximity to train station, the steak in Rod's (the Delmonico cooked medium rare is my favorite with onion straws on the side) and for highly recommending us. We appreciate your business and hope you stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Read many of the reviews of this hotel and decided to give it a try. Not sure exactly how old this place is but by the musty smell that permeates every area outside of the lobby it has been around a while. While some might find it old world charming this hotel is just old. From 70's wood furnishings to he monsterous old style tv's everything in this hotel is stuck in another decade. When was the last time you saw a timed heat lamp in the bathroom outside of a Holiday Inn in the seventies? It appears the rest of the furnishings in the bathroom also made their way from the Holiday Inn. Hotel did not seem very occupied but some how I was lucky enough to earn a room overlooking the loading dock! I would have been more disappointed but frankly the musty odor of a thousand carpet shampoos was more concerning. We ate in the Red Dog Cafe which was full of locals. I have to say the prime rib was excellent. My wife's pot pie was disappointing and looked as if it was frozen and not fresh. Amazingly enough most offputting were the french fries. Cold and with a strange texture they reminded me of the bad burger king fries from years ago. Our server was adequate but like most of the staff we encountered around the hotel he was indifferent and did not smile at all. Not many pleasantries exchanged with the staff we encountered. The positives seem to be that both restaurants were very popular with the local crowd. They need to be because unless you know the area and plan on driving there is nothing for miles around to walk too. If you are looking for old world charm this hotel might qualify but there wasn't much charm. If you have allergy's this is definitely not the place. Until they bring the guest room and bathrooms in to a more recent decade there are simply better values in this area.

Room Tip: Stay away from fourth floor facing parking lot.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to hear our fine hotel did not live up to your expectations, we do our best to please everyone but sometimes it just does'nt work out the way we would like. We feel our hard work, clean, safe and beautiful classic boutique hotel with excellent service, complimentary wi-fi, complimentary cold buffet breakfast, complimentary local transportation, proximity to train service to Morristown, Madison or NYC as well as our award winning restaurants are pleasing to a large portion of our guests since the majority (over 81% since April 2010) ranked us very good or excellent on Trip Advisor which helped us earn a score of 84%, a rating of 4.5 stars (one of only two full service hotels within a 20 mile radius have earned that rating) and the #1 ranked hotel in Morristown (a position we have held for over a year). I wish things worked out better for you here but hope you are satisfied at the next hotel you stay at when visiting the area.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

What a really good old fashioned hotel. Not a hotel for those that like funky, groovy and modern. This hotel has old world charm, rooms are wood panels, plush drapes and floral carpets. The lobby has a fireplace where you would expect pipe smokers in lounge suits. A popular wedding venue, this hotel is great for photo shoots. Charming is the theme here

Strictly a non-smoking hotel.

Excellent restaurants for steak!

The staff are amazing and so helpful with directions to popular sites and places to eat and go. Christine at the front desk was the best, so hospitable. She made our 3 week stay feel like we were at home!

Room Tip: Try and not get a room near the pool/gym. Kids/people slam the door until 10 pm
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2011

I truly appreciate you taking the time to comment about your stay on Trip Advisor. It means a lot to the team and I that you found the hotel really good and charming and that you found the staff very friendly (I showed Christine your comment and she says thank you) and they made you feel at home. After all, you spent 3 weeks with us and had a lot of time to form opinions about our hotel and I am glad all of those where positive. Please feel free to stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

Was looking for a hotel near Morristown for a one night stay, found this place online and wanted to book a large room/suite that had a hot tub. Their website was a little confusing to me, I was not sure if there were other rooms with hot tubs, or if the only one that had a hot tub was the one called "Presidential Suite." So I called them and was told that the Presidential Suite, which they also refer to as their Honeymoon Suite, was the only one with a hot tub and that it was booked for the night I wanted. I told the woman on the phone that it looked like it was available on their website and she told me that I could book it online if I wanted it. She explained that they save the Presidential Suite for weddings but, if no wedding is booked, they make it available online. So, if you call them and are told it is unavailable, check the website.

Pros: nice big room, kitchenette area with desk and two chairs, huge four poster bed. Huge fancy walk in shower with multiple wall jets.

Not pros: only one bathrobe in the closet--?? Not sure why only one bathrobe for the honeymoon suite, I guess someone doesn't get to wear one...
Turned on the hot tub jets and Wow! Thought I was inside a Boeing engine! After I recovered from laughing hysterically at how loud the jets were, I was able to reach the button to turn them off. So, it was basically a large bathtub. Someone needs to check that out, it is definitely not normal for them to be that loud. The one advantage of the loud hot tub jets was that they drowned out the sounds of all the people getting off the elevators that are on the other side of the same wall. Not sure why the "Honeymoon Suite" is right next to the elevator bank, it is certainly not the most private location in the hotel! And the walls are very thin! We could almost make out conversations on the other side of the wall.

Unfortunately did not get a chance to check out the antiques in the rest of the facility, apparently the restuarant has some very special old pieces in it. The lobby of the hotel is pretty stunning, though, with one of the only five remaining Louis Comfort Tiffany carved mahogany mantelpieces as the centerpiece.

Overall, a very nice hotel, I would stay here again, but I'll probably skip the hot tub suite next time!

1  Thank gardenstate029

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on TripAdvisor. Thank you for saying that we have a very nice hotel and letting us know about the hot tub and missing robe. I am glad you would stay with us again and hope you will return whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 15 December 2011

This is a first class hotel with alot of character an a great value. The staff is very attentive. The food and bar are at Rod's is excellent. We have stayed there many times and would not think of staying anyplace else in the area,

1  Thank luckyshamrock34

Thank you for staying with us and no where else whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC. We appreciate your loyalty and I was happy to hear you found the staff attentive and food and bar excellent. Thank you again for your business and for posting your comments about your stay on Trip Advisor.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!