The Madison Hotel
US$343
Westin.com
Hyatt Regency Morristown(Morristown)(Great Value!)
US$205
Hotels.com
HYATT house Morristown(Morristown)(Great Value!)
US$152
Hyatt.com
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn(Morristown)(Great Value!)
US$186
Red Carpet Inn(Whippany)
US$79
US$265
Hilton.com
All reviewscontinental breakfastconvent stationred dog tavernold worldhard boiled eggsrod's steak housedrew universitynew yorkbagelsturn down servicefresh fruitbeautiful hotelindoor poololder hotelnj transitwonderful stayinto nyc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The Madison would appear to be a very nice hotel, until you actually stay in a room. It can be summed up like this: Nice Lobby, Dingy Rooms. The location is convenient if you plan on taking NJT, as Convent Station sits immediately behind the hotel. We were not aware of that when we checked in. Other than the super expensive on site restaurant, there is nothing within about 2 miles of the hotel. We asked the front desk and rather than referring us to the train station, which would have cost $2.50, they referred us to a shady cab service, which cost $20 for literally a 5 minute ride...ridiculous.

I was here for 5 nights and the maid service was good. Other than that, the room sucked. According to the "history of the hotel", which will be left on your bed, they have completely renovated the rooms. This is absolutely false. The "history" of the hotel is as follows: Built in 1981 and pretty much looks the same as when it first opened, except for the pitiful shower and mold in the tub. Nasty vanity...overall a terrible bathroom. There was a hole in the plaster immediately above the bed...at first we thought it was a bug, but it just turned out to be a hole...awesome! The only good thing I can say is that room does contain a Keurig coffee maker and iHome alarm, which is nice. Maybe that's what they meant by "completely renovated".

Long story short, stay somewhere else.
Can't wait to see the form letter response by the General Manager (I believe his name is Scott), where he will beg you to "give us another chance." No thanks, Scott.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Sorry to see that you were disappointed with your stay, I would have loved to have met you and spoken with you face to face to discuss your concerns while you were here but you can always call or email me if you like. Thank you for pointing out how great our lobby is and how good our housekeeping staff is. They take a tremendous amount of pride in keeping our hotel spotlessly clean and our guests notice it as evidenced by the excellent feedback we receive on both Trip Advisor and our internal comment card program. I also appreciate you mentioning the convenience of the train station and the first two of many wonderful upgrades we are planning in the near future (our Keurig coffee makers and IHome alarms). In the next month or so we are replacing every light in the sleeping area of every guestroom. Again, I am truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay but I take a tremendous amount of pride in knowing that you are one of only a very few people to feel that way. In fact in all the time the hotel has been listed on Trip Advisor only 10.9% of guests that posted comments have ranked us poor or terrible while 76.6% have ranked us very good or excellent. Those numbers are even better when looked at over the last 21 months with only 7.5% ranking us poor or terrible and 81.3% ranking us very good or excellent. No other hotel is Morristown is even close to those numbers in spite of the age of our building. Thank you for staying with us and give me a call if you truly would like to hear from me.

862-345-5500
smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stay at this hotel a few times each year because the superb personal service, distinctive antiques in the lobby, proximity to trains to NYC, and great restaurants. Although the hotel hosts lots of wedding and party guests, it is never noisy. You can literally walk accross the parking lot to Convent station for trains to NYC. They added a new, relatively low priced restaurant called the Red Dog Tavern that makes the Madison even better!

• Stayed: January 2012
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Thank you for your loyalty to the Madison Hotel ("stay a few times each year"), restaurants ("great") and staff "superb personal service". The team and I truly appreciate your business and hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC. Next time you visit I hope I get a chance to thank you personally.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Great choice in the area of ​​New Jersey just under an hour from New York by train, station at five minutes walking, good breakfast, friendly service, good location, very good price, the restaurant serves a good variety of food at good prices, the rooms are excellent, clean and comfortable, overall great place to stay

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank afclara

Thank you for staying with us and posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. Your comments that the hotel is an "excellent choice" and an "overall great place to stay" made me smile. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

My stay at The Madison Hotel was wonderful! It was close to the hospital where my husband was having major surgery. The staff were so kind and understanding, and even switched me to a ground floor to make my "back and forth" a little easier. The hotel is charming, and my room was immaculate. When my husband is all healed up, I'm bringing him to The Madison to show him what he missed. Deborah P., Cranford, NJ

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. The team and I hope for a speedy recovery for your husband and a healthy and happy new year for you and all your loved ones. Please email me or call me and let me know how he is doing. Thank you again and make sure you stay with us when your husband is well enough to travel.

862-345-5500
smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com

Reviewed 3 January 2012

What a wonderful hotel! I grew up ten miles away and never set foot in the place, but I'm glad I have. You're welcomed into the hotel with a grand entrance, then greeted by very friendly and helpful hotel staff who are interested in making your stay as comfortable as possible. Great pillows and an amazingly comfortable bed that was hard to get out of each morning. The climate in the room is wonderful, AND, you can get FRESH air because the windows actually open. For the amenities, there's no frig in your room but who cares when the daily turn down service brings buckets of ice to your door, delivered with a big smile. On the first level there is a great pool and jacuzzi, an exercise room, and walking trails nearby. When you're hungry, each morning enjoy the complimentary breakfast that has a great variety of food to help you start your day right (since breakfast IS the most important meal of the day). As for dinner, Madison and Morristown have great places to eat, all within a few miles drive, but for something more local, you don't even have to put on your coat to have dinner because there are two restaurants on site. If you are headed to Manhattan, keep your car parked in the hotel parking lot and walk over to the Convent Station stop that goes right into the City. Seriously, what more do need??

Would I stay here again - YES, absolutely with no question!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad we exceeded your expectations and I was thrilled to hear your thoughts on the staff; "very friendly and helpful". We strive to be a "home away from home" for all our guests and based on your wonderful feedback we achieved our goal. Thanks again and please stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.