“Good enough”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed overnight for a wedding. And the room we got was very close to the pool which was a good thing for us since we wanted to do some exercise before attending the wedding. The room had all the things we needed in a standard room. Everything was functioning well...the TV, the shower, the drain in the shower and sink, the lights and so forth. The only setback of the room is that you can easily here the sound of the train coming from the station nearby.
The food was a lot (in the wedding). The staff was also friendly enough during our stay. We had a complimentary breakfast also which had quite a bit of a selection I think. Not bad at all.

Room Tip: If you want less noise, I guess get a room on the upper levels.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank graceandmercy
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Thank you for staying with us, I hope you enjoyed the wedding. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Have stayed at The Madison several times while visiting FDU. Staff is extremely friendly, rooms are clean, and the complimentary morning breakfast is incredible.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank steven W

Thank you for posting comments about your experience at the Madison Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear you stay with us whenever you visit FDU and hope that you will continue. I was thrilled to read your comments about the hotel; extremely friendly staff, clean rooms and incredible complimentary breakfast. Thank you again for your business and please come back again.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Recently stayed at the Madison while visiting a family member at Fairleigh Dickenson University. The hotel is very close to the college and is extremely convienient to the train station. We took the train into NYC - having a station right next to the hotel was great, especially when we returned from a long day of walking around the city.
Had a problem upon check-in. Another family member, who was not with us on the trip, made the reservation in advance and indicated that she wanted to pay for the hotel room in full using her credit card (the trip was a gift); she did not want her family to have to worry about paying for the hotel stay. The in-house reservation agent assured her that this would not be a problem and that everything would be taken care of - all we would need to do, as her hosted party, would be present a credit card for incidentals.
When we got to check-in we were asked how we would like to pay for our room. When I stated that the room should have been paid for, or at least the credit card that was used to reserve the room should be the one used to pay for the room charges, I was told that they could not use this credit card because it was not mine and I did not have authority to use it. This made for a very awkward situation as I needed to contact my family member to tell them that the room could not be paid for with her credit card, after she was told this would be no problem. The front desk clerk then informed me that even verbal consent over the telephone would not allow them to charge her credit card. My family member was upset, as she had made these arrangements in advance with the goal of us not having to pay for anything, had she known this would not be permissable, she would have given us the cash to pay for the room, etc. We ended up having to pay - which was not THAT big of a deal, but semi-annoying when you are not expecting a $400 hotel bill in your budget for the trip. My family member finally was able to get in touch with the reservation agent who originally told her that this would be ok, and the clerk apologized for the hassle and gave us a free appetizer coupon to use at their restaurant (but this was after all was said & done, and I had already checked in using my credit card). I guess my gripe was that employees should all follow the same rules and be under the same understanding, as the lack of this made our check-in process a hassle.
Breakfast in the AM was nice. We did get there just as it was finishing up, but the servers were nice enough not to rush us even though they were trying to clean up. One of the servers even took the milk back off her cart when she noticed that I may need it. We did order room service and that was good and prompt. Rooms were large in size and decent.
Overall it was a good stay and despite our check-in situation I would not be deterred from staying at this property again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found the location of the train convenient for your trip to NYC, the rooms large and decent and breakfast nice with helpful service. I was concerned when I read about your check in experience and would love to speak to the family member who made the orginal reservation for further clarification. If you would be kind enough to give them my phone number and/or email address I would greatly appreciate it. If I get to the bottom of what happened it will enable us to correct the situation to ensure it does not happen again. Again, thank you for staying with us, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I was happy to hear you will return again.

862-345-5500
smcarthur@themadisonhotel.com

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Beautiful location! The room was clean and in a great area. Food on site was very expensive but good. Nice little onsight gym and lots of good paths to run in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am thrilled you found the room clean, food good, gym nice with running trails nearby in a convenient location. I hope you return again whenever you visit NYC or northern New Jersey.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I always read reviews online before I book a hotel. I know anybody can write anything but the amount of good reviews completely out numbered the amount of bad reviews; They were probably just having a bad day anyways because nothing is comparable to how excellent this hotel was!! Everything was great from the doorman Ken who noticed our need of help with luggage instantly and was the fastest doorman I have ever seen to get our luggage onto the cart and do it with a smile on his face! Check in was a breeze with David providing us every piece of information about the hotel from wireless internet to hours of the restaurant and when we asked about the surrounding location he was very knowledgeable and super friendly. When we came back from the evening he remembered us and asked us how our night was. What a great impression it made on us! Christine is also from the local area so ask her for any restaurants recommendations if the concierge is not available. Upon check out the morning staff was very friendly and asked us how everything was, showing they care about the hotel and the guests experience. I hope the manager realizes and understands what a wonderful establishment he or she has.The rooms resembles the lobby of the hotel with an older decor but is warm, functional, comfortable and has some upgraded amenities such as an ihome. The breakfast is complimentary in the morning and plentiful. It is a gem found in a perfect location.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J M

Thank you for you wonderful feedback and rest assured I do realize what a wonderful establishment I am blessed to manage. Like you, I also research properties on Trip Advisor before I stay and use customers feedback to determine whether I stay or not. I am glad you feel we lived up to what our customers have said about us. Your comments that "nothing compares to how excellent this hotel is", "everything was great, the rooms are warm, functional and comfortable and your recognition by name of David, Ken and Christine is greatly appreciated. You are correct in saying the amount of good reviews completely outnumber the bad reviews but the team and I are very proud of the margin between the two so I thought I would share the numbers. Since April, 2010 we have recieved 118 reviews and 97 of those ranked us very good or excellent while only 8 ranked us poor or terrible. We have worked hard to be ranked the number 1 hotel in Morristown in the opinion of Trip Advisor quests and appreciate those guests who recognize our hotel because it is a testament to our hard work. We hope to see you again whenever you visit northern New Jersey or NYC.

Reviewed 1 March 2012

this has got to be one of the best hotels i have ever stayed at. from the customer service to the location this is a perfect hotel for anyone staying in north Jersey. me and my cousin drove from St.Louis,Mo to New Jersey to catch some NJ Devils hockey games (one in Newark and one in NYC) this was our first time anywhere on the east coast and getting around was easy enough with out a car. the NJ transit train runs right by the hotel and is about an hour ride to NYC Penn station. The customer service was awesome the ladies at the front desk really helped us out a lot with getting around via NJ transit. I would like to mention one guy by name Tom, he was the doorman and we found him to be a very nice and helpful guy he really made us feel welcome at the hotel.the location is in a nice quite area with a short drive to restaurants and shopping centers, they do have two onsite restaurants we did stop and eat at the Red Dog tavern and found they had pretty good food. as far as the rooms go they were very clean and nice, we had no problems at all during our 5 night stay. i thought there could have been a microwave and a mini refrigerator in the rooms,but it wasn't a big deal the ice machine outside our door help keep our stuff cool in the cooler. I cant wait to make another trip back up to NJ and NYC i absolutely love it up there , and when i come back you can bet ill be staying here again!

just some suggestions for a little improvement
-a microwave in room

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

I am glad you enjoyed your trip, a few months ago I drove thru and stopped in St. Louis on my way to Ridgedale, MO. It was a nice ride and seeing the rain swollen Mississippi River from the arch was something I will never forget. I appreciate you taking the time to mention Tom, I will share your comments with him and we are all thrilled that you found our customer service awesome, our rooms nice and very clean and you thought the Madison Hotel was "one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at". We hope to see you again soon (maybe if the Blues and either the Devils, Rangers or Islanders make the Stanley Cup Finals). Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Visited Drew university again to see my son. Brought my daughter with me. I love the warm ambiance of the foyer fire when eating the buffet breakfast. The bedrooms are spacious and high quality and access to NY by train is easy. The staff are friendly and helpful. I wouldn't stay anywhere else

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your business and are happy to hear you "wouldn't stay anywhere else". I am glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast served and enjoyed in the lobby by our roaring fireplace. I was also happy to hear you found the staff friendly and helpful and the rooms spacious and high quality. We look forward to seeing you again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!