The Madison Hotel
Good 3.5/5
Red Carpet Inn(Whippany)
Hanover Marriott(Whippany)
  • Pool
All reviewscontinental breakfastconvent stationred dog tavernold worldhard boiled eggsrod's steak housedrew universitynew yorkbagelsturn down servicefresh fruitbeautiful hotelindoor poololder hotelnj transitwonderful stayinto nyc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel. We selected it because of the connecting restaurant & lounge. The rooms are clean & comfortable. Our room was near the pool & had a slight odor of smoke & chlorine, next time I would ask for a room in a different location. We had dinner at Rod's & drinks later in the lounge. They have entertainment every weekend in the lounge. They've added a second more casual restaurant & lounge which we will try next time. They had several events going on while we were there but it didn't interfere with our stay at all. After the events ended the lounge got pretty busy which lead to a lot of laughs. The hotel offers a great free continental breakfast in their very comfortable lobby. I even noticed several iPads in the lobby available for use. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for posting your comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear you would recommend our hotel and glad you found the rooms clean and comfortable and thought the complimentary cold buffet breakfast was great. I hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC and have a chance to try the Red Dog Tavern and use the Kindle Fire's available in the lobby for all to use.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed one night at the Madison Hotel. The lobby was very nice and facilities were well maintained. Room did not have a safe or refrigerator but was clean. The elevators were not working during my stay and inquired to employee who told me to take the stairs, very matter of the fact. I was on the 4th floor and luckily in decent shape so taking the stairs frequently was not a problem. View from room was of the roof of adjoining building. Room across from mine had employee's coming in and out frequently and the door was slamming constantly during the day. The desk was small for working but appreciated the free Wi-Fi. They did have a continental breakfast but it was overun by college kids, in the middle of the week?

Employees could use have more customer service skills but stay was decent. Room was clean and safe and price was good. I did use the treadmill in the gym area...glad to work out, besides taking the stairs!!

Room Tip: I would probably stay on the 3rd floor instead of the 4th so that you would not have the roof view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found the hotel nice, safe, well maintained with clean rooms and were able to take advantage of our complimentary wi-fi. Sorry you did not get a chance to enjoy our complimentary cold breakfast buffet. As you can see from other guests who have posted comments on Trip Advisor it is truly special with offerings much better then your standard complimentary continental breakfast offered at other hotels. I was working the day the elevators were not working and to clarify what happened, the surrounding area and part of the hotel (including the elevators) suffered a power outage due to an accident and when it happened we had hundred's of guests in our meeting rooms, dozens of guests in our two restaurants, and an unknown number of guests staying with us. The team quickly sprung into action and ensured that no one was stuck on the elevators, we handed out flashlights and other battery operated lighting fixtures to anyone in need and of course answered all the questions that come up when something like this happens at a busy property. I guess in the middle of all this one of the employees forgot their manners and for that I apologize. It is not acceptable and not normal as evidenced from the many postings on Trip Advisor praising our team. I hope you stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC, I am sure you will have a better experience.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed overnight for a wedding. And the room we got was very close to the pool which was a good thing for us since we wanted to do some exercise before attending the wedding. The room had all the things we needed in a standard room. Everything was functioning well...the TV, the shower, the drain in the shower and sink, the lights and so forth. The only setback of the room is that you can easily here the sound of the train coming from the station nearby.
The food was a lot (in the wedding). The staff was also friendly enough during our stay. We had a complimentary breakfast also which had quite a bit of a selection I think. Not bad at all.

Room Tip: If you want less noise, I guess get a room on the upper levels.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank graceandmercy
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Thank you for staying with us, I hope you enjoyed the wedding. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Have stayed at The Madison several times while visiting FDU. Staff is extremely friendly, rooms are clean, and the complimentary morning breakfast is incredible.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank steven W

Thank you for posting comments about your experience at the Madison Hotel on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear you stay with us whenever you visit FDU and hope that you will continue. I was thrilled to read your comments about the hotel; extremely friendly staff, clean rooms and incredible complimentary breakfast. Thank you again for your business and please come back again.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Recently stayed at the Madison while visiting a family member at Fairleigh Dickenson University. The hotel is very close to the college and is extremely convienient to the train station. We took the train into NYC - having a station right next to the hotel was great, especially when we returned from a long day of walking around the city.
Had a problem upon check-in. Another family member, who was not with us on the trip, made the reservation in advance and indicated that she wanted to pay for the hotel room in full using her credit card (the trip was a gift); she did not want her family to have to worry about paying for the hotel stay. The in-house reservation agent assured her that this would not be a problem and that everything would be taken care of - all we would need to do, as her hosted party, would be present a credit card for incidentals.
When we got to check-in we were asked how we would like to pay for our room. When I stated that the room should have been paid for, or at least the credit card that was used to reserve the room should be the one used to pay for the room charges, I was told that they could not use this credit card because it was not mine and I did not have authority to use it. This made for a very awkward situation as I needed to contact my family member to tell them that the room could not be paid for with her credit card, after she was told this would be no problem. The front desk clerk then informed me that even verbal consent over the telephone would not allow them to charge her credit card. My family member was upset, as she had made these arrangements in advance with the goal of us not having to pay for anything, had she known this would not be permissable, she would have given us the cash to pay for the room, etc. We ended up having to pay - which was not THAT big of a deal, but semi-annoying when you are not expecting a $400 hotel bill in your budget for the trip. My family member finally was able to get in touch with the reservation agent who originally told her that this would be ok, and the clerk apologized for the hassle and gave us a free appetizer coupon to use at their restaurant (but this was after all was said & done, and I had already checked in using my credit card). I guess my gripe was that employees should all follow the same rules and be under the same understanding, as the lack of this made our check-in process a hassle.
Breakfast in the AM was nice. We did get there just as it was finishing up, but the servers were nice enough not to rush us even though they were trying to clean up. One of the servers even took the milk back off her cart when she noticed that I may need it. We did order room service and that was good and prompt. Rooms were large in size and decent.
Overall it was a good stay and despite our check-in situation I would not be deterred from staying at this property again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found the location of the train convenient for your trip to NYC, the rooms large and decent and breakfast nice with helpful service. I was concerned when I read about your check in experience and would love to speak to the family member who made the orginal reservation for further clarification. If you would be kind enough to give them my phone number and/or email address I would greatly appreciate it. If I get to the bottom of what happened it will enable us to correct the situation to ensure it does not happen again. Again, thank you for staying with us, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I was happy to hear you will return again.

862-345-5500