“Beautiful, comfortable, and convenient”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed at the Madison to be close to Drew University for graduation ceremonies. It was a little tricky to find by car, but the train station is right next to the hotel so arriving that way is easy. We stayed in a suite. The adjoining room had a refrigerator and a small kitchen-like area with a bar for serving food and drinks. Friends and family gathered there for a small after-graduation party. The beds were comfortable, and our room was quiet. We were able to darken the room so that early morning sunlight didn't disturb us. We ate dinner in the pub because we were too tired to explore the nearby town. The pub was family friendly and crowded so service was a bit harried, but the staff was solicitous and the food was tasty. The self-service breakfast had a good variety of choices -- fruit, hot and cold cereal, sweet rolls, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice, yogurt, toast, muffins. We didn't use the pool or spa. For train fans, there is an old train dining car where you can have dinner seated like you would be on a train.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear you found the hotel beautiful, comfortable and convenient and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

The Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ, is a beautiful and elegant hotel. In my opinion, it's far nicer than even an upscale "chain" hotel because of its individuality. We hosted our wedding reception there, and all of our guests raved about the property. It's the type of place that's truly unique and really feels more like a "resort". They have a nice health club, an indoor pool, 2 restaurants, and a very generous complimentary breakfast each morning in the lobby. I would highly recommend it for anyone hosting a party or just looking for a nice getaway. My husband and I plan to stay there whenever we need some R&R! They have beautiful rooms and bathrooms, and the staff is very professional and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Congratulations on your wedding, best wishes for a happy life together. We look forward to having you as our guests again whenever you or your husband need a little R+R. Thanks for recommending us and I am glad you found our hotel beautiful and elegant, far nicer than even an upscale chain hotel with beautiful rooms and a very professional and friendly staff. We look forward to having you as a guest again and hopefully we will see you soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Easy to rate the Madison excellent. I have stayed there countless times over the past 14 years whenever I go to visit my relatives from my old hometown or go to New York.

The hotel is beautiful, comfortable, clean, and quiet. The food is delicious, the service fine. I've never had a bad room. I love walking across the parking lot and hopping on the train to NY. Always fun and convenient.

I have recommended the Madison to many people over the years, and none of them have ever complained.

I travel extensively for pleasure, and I hold all hotels to the standards of the Madison. If I had to say something less than excellent, it would be that I miss their little gift shop.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathleen F
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for staying with us and rating us excellent, we truly appreciate your continued loyalty and recommendations to your friends and family. It is nice knowing that you have stayed with us countless times and use our hotel as the standard for other hotels you stay at. It is nice to know that no matter how often you come, you still find the hotel beautiful, clean and comfortable with delicious food and fine service. Please continue to stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

When I first came to the USA, I stayed at this hotel for just over 6 weeks. New to the States, I quickly realized that this was going to be a very enjoyable experience.
The Hotel is located very conveniently to Convent Station, part of the New Jersey Transit network for easy access to local Towns and of course New York City
I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure I had all the comforts I required. The Restaurant served top quality food and beverages, has great clientele. The room was spacious, very clean and well furnished.
So happy was I with my experience that myself and my wife often visit for a meal or just drinks.
Well done to all the staff - great job!

Room Tip: None - all good rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Welcome to the USA!!! Thank you for your comments and for your business. Since you stayed with us for six weeks you really had an opportunity to see all of us, anytime of the day and I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience, found the staff very friendly and accomodating and found our restaurants enjoyable with top quality food and drink. We look forward to you continuing to frequent our restaurant and hope you will recommend our hotel to anyone who might be visitng you in the future.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

Our son reserved a room for us when we traveled to NJ to visit him. We were thrilled to see this hotel. It is a magical building from the outside, and has so much character on the inside. Room was lovely, staff was very friendly. Beds were very comfortable. The breakfast served in the morning was wonderful, and there was ample seating available in the lobby area. The hotel was bustling with many happy people there to celebrate weddings, showers, reunions. The atmosphere was contagious. We were there only one night, and so did not use any of the extras like the pool and work out room. Maybe next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We all appreciate your business. I am glad you found the room lovely, staff very friendly, beds comfortable and breakfast wonderful. Please stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ and this time take some time and try out the pool and restaurants. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed at this refurbished old hotel on business. On the plus side, the grounds around it are park-like and it is convenient to my client. The lobby has genteel club style feel and the desk staff are very friendly. There is a nice court yard landscaped with pretty flowers and there are chairs and tables to sit out and enjoy them. Beds were comfortable. This older hotel has obviously been rennovated but is still a little ratty in some places. The window of my room had white tape on them so that it would appear that the glass was panes, in keeping with the architecture, Trouble is, the tape was falling off. Towels in the bath were equally as nice as the ones in teh YMCA. Typical of an older hotel, electrical outlets were scarce -- I had to chose between unplugging the clock or lamp to be able to plug in my cell phone chareger by the bed. Bathroom lacked a magnifying mirror.Breakfast came with the room, consisted of decent pastries and bagles, good fresh fruit, but instant oatmeal (YUCK). At $350 per night after you add taxes, overpriced is the best description for this otherwise unremarkable hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I would like to apologize about the condition of the window design in your guestroom, I am sorry that it dampened your enthusiasm about the hotel. I also wanted to make you aware that the newly installed lamp on the desk was designed with travellers like you in mind and has two outlets on the surface within easy reach for guests to charge items as needed. I am sorry you dont like oatmeal, it was a request (along with the raisins and brown sugar topping we provide to spice it up) from so many of our guests that we decided to add it to our wide selection of yogurts, cereals, hard boiled eggs, wide selection of teas, coffee, hot chocolate, milk, orange or apple juice, fresh blueberries, whole fruit, cut melon, bagels and assorted pasteries. I hope you were able to find something you liked. Thank you for recognizing the park like grounds, friendly front desk staff, nicely landscaped courtyard with pretty flowers and seating as well as the comfortable bed. In regards to the price, it is certainly in line with other comparable hotels in the marketplace that in most cases charge even more then we do but do not offer the complimentary breakfast mentioned above to all its guests, charge for wifi (complimentary at the Madison Hotel), have free parking and free local transportation, etc. So although it was costly the night you stayed with us it was a value when compared to other hotels in the area that charge more and give less. Our hotel is the only 4.5 Star Trip Advisor rated full service hotel in Morris County because our loyal guests see the value, combined with the friendly service, clean rooms and public spaces, a choice of two outstanding restaurants in a beautiful park like setting with a exercise room, swimming pool, hot tub etc. and write about their stay with us on Trip Advisor. Thank you again for your comments and if the price is right we hope you stay with us again whenever you visit northern NJ or NYC. Weekend rates are much lower and if you are a member of AAA or AARP and present your card you are entitled to a 15% discount.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed in the Madison for two nights...during a bridal shower. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. Breakfast was okay. Free parking and the train to Penn Station right across the parking lot. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Get on the fourth floor if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, comfortable bed, clean room, free parking, accessability to trains and our complimentary breakfast. Thanks for recommending us and we hope you stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!