“Mixed”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
New York
“Mixed”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the Madison. Older nice looking hotel in good location, but with some significant problems.

The Good: Nice Staff, Truly lovely decor, decent size rooms, great fresh fruit at continental breakfast. Good location. Quiet. Nice view out front of hotel.
The Bad:
Cleanliness and Housekeeping: Pool skimmer very poor. Lots of hair and bugs floating on surface of lovely pool. Wouldn't go in. Too bad, because the pool area is really nice and it was the reason I choose this hotel over others I saw online. Jacuzzi was okay. Also not the cleanest room. Cobwebs/spiderwebs all over windowsill. Water drained slowly from shower. Asked front desk twice for extra regular coffee in room and it was never brought. They did have very good coffee in lobby 24 hrs per day however. Still, I like my in-room morning coffee.

Technical Problems: Door lock broken when checked in, but was fixed very quickly by very nice and efficient engineer. (so this isn't necessarily a point against the hotel, just a bit frustrating). Last night AC Unit not working. (It was literally in the 90's when we returned to the hotel at 1AM. Didn't call front desk because just wanted to sleep. At checkout informed engineer and front desk and they said it was the circuit breaker and told us we should have called the front desk. But at 1:00 in the morning I was too tired to wait for someone to come up and fix it. I was surprised that the front desk was not more apologetic about this with the temperatures so high.

All in all I'm not sure if I would recommend this hotel. I might try a different one next time I go to Morristown.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor facing the front of the hotel (church side) for a quiet location with a really nic...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed the nice staff, lovely decor, nice sized room and complimentary breakfast we had to offer. I wanted to apologize for the lack of response in regards to your request for more coffee, that is unacceptable and I will address it with the team. I also want to apologize for the cobwebs you found in your windowsill. I had it corrected as soon as I received your comments and today I am having housekeeping check and clean as necessary all windowsills. I also would like to apologize for the surface of the pool being dirty. We have a retractable roof in the pool area and sometimes an insect or two might sneak in before our team can scoop it out. I know that can be a little disconcerting to some and we do our best to stay on top of it, however we missed it when you visited the pool that day (a case of being in the wrong space at the wrong time). I am sure if you return you will not encounter these issues again and we look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future. As you know, Trip Advisors members rank us very high and I am truly disappointed we did not meet your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you decide to give us another chance.

Scott McArthur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The decor is replete with old world elegance. Beautiful hardwood woodwork, unique fireplace, conservatory, free beakfast buffet in a courtyard, gracious sitting areas add to the gracious ambience. When in the area, the Madison will be our first choice.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor we appreciate your business and are happy to hear you will stay with us whenever you visit northern NJ.

Arlington, VA
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We stayed at the Madison to be close to Drew University for graduation ceremonies. It was a little tricky to find by car, but the train station is right next to the hotel so arriving that way is easy. We stayed in a suite. The adjoining room had a refrigerator and a small kitchen-like area with a bar for serving food and drinks. Friends and family gathered there for a small after-graduation party. The beds were comfortable, and our room was quiet. We were able to darken the room so that early morning sunlight didn't disturb us. We ate dinner in the pub because we were too tired to explore the nearby town. The pub was family friendly and crowded so service was a bit harried, but the staff was solicitous and the food was tasty. The self-service breakfast had a good variety of choices -- fruit, hot and cold cereal, sweet rolls, hard-boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice, yogurt, toast, muffins. We didn't use the pool or spa. For train fans, there is an old train dining car where you can have dinner seated like you would be on a train.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was thrilled to hear you found the hotel beautiful, comfortable and convenient and hope you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Hackettstown, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ, is a beautiful and elegant hotel. In my opinion, it's far nicer than even an upscale "chain" hotel because of its individuality. We hosted our wedding reception there, and all of our guests raved about the property. It's the type of place that's truly unique and really feels more like a "resort". They have a nice health club, an indoor pool, 2 restaurants, and a very generous complimentary breakfast each morning in the lobby. I would highly recommend it for anyone hosting a party or just looking for a nice getaway. My husband and I plan to stay there whenever we need some R&R! They have beautiful rooms and bathrooms, and the staff is very professional and friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Congratulations on your wedding, best wishes for a happy life together. We look forward to having you as our guests again whenever you or your husband need a little R+R. Thanks for recommending us and I am glad you found our hotel beautiful and elegant, far nicer than even an upscale chain hotel with beautiful rooms and a very professional and friendly staff. We look forward to having you as a guest again and hopefully we will see you soon.

Virginia
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Easy to rate the Madison excellent. I have stayed there countless times over the past 14 years whenever I go to visit my relatives from my old hometown or go to New York.

The hotel is beautiful, comfortable, clean, and quiet. The food is delicious, the service fine. I've never had a bad room. I love walking across the parking lot and hopping on the train to NY. Always fun and convenient.

I have recommended the Madison to many people over the years, and none of them have ever complained.

I travel extensively for pleasure, and I hold all hotels to the standards of the Madison. If I had to say something less than excellent, it would be that I miss their little gift shop.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathleen F
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and rating us excellent, we truly appreciate your continued loyalty and recommendations to your friends and family. It is nice knowing that you have stayed with us countless times and use our hotel as the standard for other hotels you stay at. It is nice to know that no matter how often you come, you still find the hotel beautiful, clean and comfortable with delicious food and fine service. Please continue to stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Madison, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2012

When I first came to the USA, I stayed at this hotel for just over 6 weeks. New to the States, I quickly realized that this was going to be a very enjoyable experience.
The Hotel is located very conveniently to Convent Station, part of the New Jersey Transit network for easy access to local Towns and of course New York City
I found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure I had all the comforts I required. The Restaurant served top quality food and beverages, has great clientele. The room was spacious, very clean and well furnished.
So happy was I with my experience that myself and my wife often visit for a meal or just drinks.
Well done to all the staff - great job!

Room Tip: None - all good rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Welcome to the USA!!! Thank you for your comments and for your business. Since you stayed with us for six weeks you really had an opportunity to see all of us, anytime of the day and I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience, found the staff very friendly and accomodating and found our restaurants enjoyable with top quality food and drink. We look forward to you continuing to frequent our restaurant and hope you will recommend our hotel to anyone who might be visitng you in the future.

Nottingham, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Our son reserved a room for us when we traveled to NJ to visit him. We were thrilled to see this hotel. It is a magical building from the outside, and has so much character on the inside. Room was lovely, staff was very friendly. Beds were very comfortable. The breakfast served in the morning was wonderful, and there was ample seating available in the lobby area. The hotel was bustling with many happy people there to celebrate weddings, showers, reunions. The atmosphere was contagious. We were there only one night, and so did not use any of the extras like the pool and work out room. Maybe next time.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We all appreciate your business. I am glad you found the room lovely, staff very friendly, beds comfortable and breakfast wonderful. Please stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ and this time take some time and try out the pool and restaurants. We hope to see you soon.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
Wyndham Hamilton Park Hotel and Conference Center
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!