“Great choice”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Glendora, New Jersey
“Great choice”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We recently (July 2012), stayed at The Madison Hotel in Morristown, N.J. for 2 nights. I called the hotel directly when I booked the reservation and they were most helpful. The nightly rate was comparable to other quotes we received when we initally called around. Since this was the first of what will be many visits to the area as our child begins college nearby in Sept., we thought we'd give it a try. We were not disappointed. The property is clean, which is the first thing I look for! At check in, despite being busy, Diana was welcoming and took her time with us. We had an issue with our initial room and when I walked back down to the desk, she offered to move us immediately before I even asked. We had a spacious room with a king size bed that also fit our 2 additional requests: a roll away bed for one night and a small refrigerator for medicine. The was pleantly of lighting and the air conditioner was very efficient. Bathroom was clean and spacious. Each morning there is a continental breakfast set up in the lobby. It includes all the usuals such as coffee, teas, juice, pasteries, bagels, as well as fruit, cereals, instant oatmeal, eggs, and croissants. More than enough variety. However, there are only a few tables. A few more would have been nice, since both mornings we went down early and it was quite busy with business travelers. I will note though that you can also sit anywhere in the spacious lobby or move outside into the adjoining courtyard which has tables and chairs. In the evening we took advantage of the indoor pool & hot tub which was well maintained and clean. The property offers 2 restaurants. We ate in the more casual Red Dog pub. The food was good, service great and cost reasonable. Overall, I would recommend this property. It is centrally located between the towns of Madison and Morrestown, and the train station is very close. No matter when you approach the front the desk, all of the staff are friendly and very helpful.

1 Thank M L
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you as our guest whenever you visit your child in college. I am glad you found the hotel clean with friendly and helpful employees and for saying the Red Dog had good food, great service at a reasonable cost and the breakfast had a nice variety. Please stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
NJ
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Great hotel for the area for busioness or pleasure.
Stayed over night for a wedding. gorgeous wedding and reception.
good sized rooms with all the basic amenities.
so so continental breakfast for all guests daily in the comfortable lobby.
They try to keep it upscale and old world here. Good service and attached
to the best restaurant in town if you have an expense account.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelguy07
Thank you for your business and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate you saying the hotel is great for business and pleasure as well as the wedding and reception were gorgeous and that the restaurant is the best in town. We hope that you will stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ and take advantage of GK's Red Dog Tavern which is a lower cost casual restaurant located in our hotel (no expense account needed).

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed at the Madison Hotel in Morristown, NJ last weekend, and was very impressed with all their services. It is a beautiful hotel both inside and out. The staff was very, very helful and pleasant. The spacious room was spotless, very comfy king -sized bed. I chose a non-smoking room, and it really was non-smoking. I could not smell a trace of smoke not like other hotels that claim non smoking rooms that still smell of smoke. The free continental breakfast included a lot more than your regular continental breakfast with lots of pastries, fresh fruit, eggs, bagels, muffins and more, and great coffee too! I had a wonderful time. Room Service was fast and efficient. I would definitely stay there again when next I am in that vicinity and yes, their rates are very reasonable for all the great services offered

Room Tip: read the reviews
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words about the Madison Hotel. It was great to hear that you had a wonderful time and would definetly stay with us again. We look forward to having you as a guest again and we know you will be very impressed with all our services each and every time you come. Thanks again and hopefully we will see you soon.

Windsor, New Jersey
Reviewed 11 July 2012

had occasion to stay at the madison hotel and was so pleasantly surprised by the whole place. the lobby is welcoming, warm, cozy, friendly with kind of an old world flair. i really liked it, my husband loved being welcomed with cookies but thought that it was a little too dark for him.

rooms were very good, spotless, beds comfortable, enough pillows (my husband and i sleep with 2 each) to suit anyone's sleeping preferences. i like little amemities like a coffee pot since we drink coffee early at home, so we were able to get a cup before going down for breakfast which was very good.

only stayed one night but we will definitely return to explore the surrounding area. by the way, there is a ton of parking and the hotel is about half a mile from 287 which was great for us.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LoveToTravel061203
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for posting comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. Thank you for calling our hotel a gem, I am happy you were pleasantly surprised by the whole place and enjoyed the complimentary cookies at check in. We look forward to having you stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The outside of this hotel looks really nice, like some kind of grand, old world hotel. But the guestrooms just do not live up to the exterior and public spaces. Very forgettable, standard hotel decor. There was no trash bin in the bathroom and the bathroom itself needed to be updated. Breakfast was a complimentary Continental offering in the hotel lobby. This was not comfortable, as there were not enough tables to accomodate the guests, so we ate with our food balanced on our laps sharing a couch with 2 other people. My advice - either move the breakfast to a proper room, serve it in the hotel restaurant, or get some more tables and chairs. The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. When we checked in, the hall outside our room smelled strongly of fish and the staff dealt with that immediately. The wifi is free and you can self-park at the hotel. Nobody is available to help with bags so you will need to schlep things in on your own. Overall, a very mixed experience for the price.

1 Thank americantravelgirl
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. I was happy to hear you enjoyed the complimentary wi-fi, complimentary cold breakfast buffet and complimentary parking. It was also nice to hear you found the staff friendly and helpful and the exterior and public spaces of the hotel nice. I was concerned about your comments about the breakfast area, we have over 80 total seats (including our courtyard) available with 40 being at a table and the rest next too or in front of some type of end table or coffee table. We also serve breakfast for three hours so if it is busy at one time guests can come back at a less busy time. As you can see from other comments (including the one posted the same day as yours "Madison Hotel - You rescued us!" who commented that the breakfast area was "nice and comfy"), breakfast iin our lobby and courtyard is a very popular offering. I also was confused about you having to take luggage to your room. The front desk supervisor remembers checking you and your son in and offering assistance. She also was the one who removed the room service tray from outside your room. Is she mistaken? If so, please call me so I can clairfy what happened and ensure it does not happen to anyone else. We ALWAYS have someone available to help with luggage. Thank you again, and please stay with us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

California, United States
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I first came here about 20 years ago on a business trip. 20 years, later while on a 12 day vacation trip, I got the Sheraton in Parsippany through Hotwire instead. My co-worker told me that the Parsippany area is perfect for visiting New York. He was wrong! The drive is too long. It took over 30 minutes to get to New York. and over an hour to get to Flushing. I drive just as bad as most New York drivers! Anyhow, the Sheraton was a nightmare! After staying at the Sheraton for about 30 minutes and getting called racist names, the wife told me to look for another hotel. She didn't want the Madison. She wanted a hotel where I could get some "points", like a Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott. Being a good husband, I didn't listen to her. I took her to the Madison instead. I explained my situation with the front desk, and they were empathetic to my situation. They wanted to step in and help. They were very nice and gave the daughter a stuffed animal. My wife was not convinced. She wanted to see the room before we committed. The first room was on the second floor. It was a nice room. The problem? The wife does not like lower floors. So, we didn't take it. The front desk then offered to give us another room on a higher floor. They didn't recommend it because there was a wedding party, and they were concerned that would be too loud for us since the music would stop at around midnight. Since we were on vacation and on Pacific Time and vacation mode, we accepted!

The room had one king bed. They offered to give us a roll in bed. But, we declined since we didn't think the daughter would sleep by herself. The air conditioning unit was loud. On the first night there, it kept on waking me up. I finally turned it off in the middle of the night for some peace and quiet. The wife made comments that the room and bathrooms were a little dated. I would have to agree. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall in certain places. The wife also complained that the television did not have enough channels, specifically her new favorite HGTV. What made up for the negatives was the service. The service was impeccable. The bell man always greeted me and opened the doors for me. The front desk went above and beyond in helping us.

The continental breaksfast was good. It didn't have "just add water scrambled eggs" or sausage pattys like some of the chains have. But, they did offer fruit and lots of breads. The breakfast area was nice and comfy.

Parking was FREE! I was tired of paying high prices for parking. It was a relief to my wallet.

If I was in the area, I would definitely come back!

, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for your business and for saying you would definitely come back, I spoke with you about your experience in Parsippany and I hope you now know the treatment you received there is not a reflection of that community or even this county. It was a pleasure having you and your family as our guest and rest assured we will always be here for you. Tell your wife not to worry about losing any loyalty points since the complimentary wi-fi, complimentary parking, complimentary cold breakfast buffet, complimentary local transportation, etc. more then make up for it. Thank you again and please visit us whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed for a weekend at the Madison. Older nice looking hotel in good location, but with some significant problems.

The Good: Nice Staff, Truly lovely decor, decent size rooms, great fresh fruit at continental breakfast. Good location. Quiet. Nice view out front of hotel.
The Bad:
Cleanliness and Housekeeping: Pool skimmer very poor. Lots of hair and bugs floating on surface of lovely pool. Wouldn't go in. Too bad, because the pool area is really nice and it was the reason I choose this hotel over others I saw online. Jacuzzi was okay. Also not the cleanest room. Cobwebs/spiderwebs all over windowsill. Water drained slowly from shower. Asked front desk twice for extra regular coffee in room and it was never brought. They did have very good coffee in lobby 24 hrs per day however. Still, I like my in-room morning coffee.

Technical Problems: Door lock broken when checked in, but was fixed very quickly by very nice and efficient engineer. (so this isn't necessarily a point against the hotel, just a bit frustrating). Last night AC Unit not working. (It was literally in the 90's when we returned to the hotel at 1AM. Didn't call front desk because just wanted to sleep. At checkout informed engineer and front desk and they said it was the circuit breaker and told us we should have called the front desk. But at 1:00 in the morning I was too tired to wait for someone to come up and fix it. I was surprised that the front desk was not more apologetic about this with the temperatures so high.

All in all I'm not sure if I would recommend this hotel. I might try a different one next time I go to Morristown.

Room Tip: Pick a high floor facing the front of the hotel (church side) for a quiet location with a really nic...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay and for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed the nice staff, lovely decor, nice sized room and complimentary breakfast we had to offer. I wanted to apologize for the lack of response in regards to your request for more coffee, that is unacceptable and I will address it with the team. I also want to apologize for the cobwebs you found in your windowsill. I had it corrected as soon as I received your comments and today I am having housekeeping check and clean as necessary all windowsills. I also would like to apologize for the surface of the pool being dirty. We have a retractable roof in the pool area and sometimes an insect or two might sneak in before our team can scoop it out. I know that can be a little disconcerting to some and we do our best to stay on top of it, however we missed it when you visited the pool that day (a case of being in the wrong space at the wrong time). I am sure if you return you will not encounter these issues again and we look forward to having you as a guest again in the near future. As you know, Trip Advisors members rank us very high and I am truly disappointed we did not meet your expectations. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you decide to give us another chance.

Scott McArthur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
Hyatt Regency Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!