“What a great surprise!”
Review of The Madison Hotel

The Madison Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This 75 year old hotel has maintained all the warmth and hospitality of a bygone era, but has incorporated all the technology that our modern life demands. What a great weekend with superb food and service. Don't miss this outstanding establishment if you ever visit Morristown and its surrounds. Great venue for weddings!

Room Tip: All the rooms, especially on the fourth floor, are void of any traffic noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your business and your kind words. We all really appreciate it. We look forward to having you as a guest whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was our first trip to Madison. Our oldest child will be a university student nearby in the fall and we will definitely make this our regular hotel when we visit the area. The lobby area was so beautiful and inviting, yet the rooms were modern and restful. Very nice visit!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PhyllisBM
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

We are thrilled to hear you will be a regular visitor at The Madison Hotel when your oldest child attends a local university. We are the hotel of choice for many family and friends of students or faculty that attend Drew University, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Seton Hall University and Seton Hall University and look forward to having you spend some time with us. Thank you for your business and your comments. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Hotel is very clean and the lobby tastefully decorated as was the room. The huge bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The downside was that the doors had to be slammed shut which proved noisy during the night and you could hear other residents quite clearly as they passed in the corridor. The heating system wasn't great as it is fan assisted heat only so was unable to have them on even low during the night as they were too noisy. It was the middle of a very cold spell so ambient heating was needed. The breakfast although very good was in the lobby and therefore seating was sparse and ended up eating breakfast on my knee on a sofa amongst people checking out! We used the restaurant in the evening which was rather expensive, as was the wine the cheapest being around $40 for a bottle of house wine. In spite of the downs i would probably stay again as it was close to the train station and therefore handy for a day trip to New York. The staff were very friendly and the service in the restaurant was very good although we did seem to wait a long time for the food to arrive.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ElaineYaxley

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your business and we were thrilled to read you found the hotel very clean and tastefully decorated, the bed the most comfortable you ever slept in, the breakfast good and the staff helpful and very friendly. We look forward to you staying with us again and hope you will do so whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. My husband and I stayed over a Saturday night, and wished we had the time to stay much longer. We checked reviews before coming, and saw some that were not good. I don't know how anyone could ever say something bad about this hotel. Everything was perfect, especially the staff. We ate at the restaurant, Rod's Steakhouse. That too was a great experience. The food, the atmosphere, even the price was just right. And to top off our stay, the free continental breakfast was incredible, fresh fruit,delicious coffee, pastries, Danish, etc., all fresh and high quality. We will definitely be back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tess1114
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you from one former resident of Dutchess County, NY to a current resident. Thanks for making the trip down and staying with us. We all truly appreciate the business. No worries about a few negative comments, although we try to perfect for everyone sometimes we may fall short. In spite of that we have been voted by Trip Advisor guests the number one ranked full service hotel in Morristown for over three years now and we are the number ranked full service hotel in all of Morris County by a wide margin. Thank you for saying we are one of the nicest hotels you have stayed in, with an excellent staff and an incredible free breakfast with fresh, high quality food. In addition, it was great to hear that your dinner in our restaurant Rod's was a great experience. We look forward to you staying with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I travel frequently for work and have stayed in pretty much every chain hotel out there. This was a nice alternative to the name brand places. For a 75 year hotel, the rooms have been updated to suit most modern needs - enough power outlets, sound proofing, refreshed bathrooms, full spectrum TV listings (a small thing, but appreciated). On the downside, there were little things that prevented this from being a stellar experience for me: there was a bulb out in the bathroom that was never replaced during my 3 night stay, a dirty glass from room service that was never removed and the internal phone lines to the front desk/room service/etc did not work. As lovely as the hotel is, I'm not sure the high price was reflected in the overall experience. Lastly, as someone who works in emergency services, I have to admit I was not thrilled that the rooms have not been retrofitted with a sprinkler system. I'm sure the hotel is grandfathered in and the cost to retrofit would be excessive, but it's something that would likely keep me from returning - despite the other positives.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BettyS27

Thank you for your feedback. I agree and I apologize that your light bulb was not replaced and your dirty room service glass was not promptly removed. It is not acceptable for our property and I expect more from my team. I have spoken to the two employees involved and feel comfortable that they will not allow it to happen again. The great thing about the issue you brought up is that it is small enough and rare enough that it can be easily corrected. It does not involve cleanliness, service, product or even maintenance (light bulbs burn out at our homes all the time) it simply involves the attention to detail of two individuals. Thank you for bringing it to my attention, as I said as evidenced from all the positive comments the hotel has received it is rare and I feel very comfortable in saying it should not happen again. I was thrilled to hear you found the hotel a nice change from other hotels in our area and you found the rooms updated with adequate power outlets, sound proofing, refreshed bathrooms and many television channels. In regards to safety I myself was a loss prevention coordinator/inspector for a very large well known worldwide hotel chain and I can assure you the hotel is very safe. Our hotel is routinely inspected by local authorities as well as contracted companies that specialize in life safety and they have determined that we meet and or exceed all required safety standards. So please reconsider staying with us, I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed at the Madison Hotel three times and I love it! Wonderful place! The atmosphere is very peaceful and serene. I especially love ROD'S STEAK AND SEAFOOD GRILLE! Their cinnamon ice cream is to die for! :)

During my most recent stay, there was a lovely young lady at the front desk who made my stay even more enjoyable. Her name is Rebecca. She is awesome. You could not come upon a friendlier or a nicer person to greet you when you come in or to assist you with your needs. :)

Room Tip: In my opinion, the 4th floor is the best as it is the most quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Benjamin K
ScottMcArthurGM, General Manager at The Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post comments about your stay on Trip Advisor. We all appreciate your loyalty to the Madison Hotel and Rebecca appreciates the comments you made about her. We hope you will continue to stay with us and eating a Rod's (the cinnamon ice cream will be ready) whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I visited this hotel for a company holiday party. I must say the cocktail hour was EXCELLENT at the event. The dinner was a standard banquet menu/quality and the open bar was okay, premium liqours only for the last hour of the event (ie. cognacs etc.). The typical Captain, Bacardi, Skyy Vodka were served throughout the open bar. We rented a room since we knew about the open bar. I had a king room on the first floor. The bed was SOOO comfortable. Clean room with a nice bathroom and nice toiletry products (tarocco sp?). Old school TV, however, they had more channels than I think I have ever seen at a hotel, so that was great. Compliemtary continental breakfast was definitely a bonus. Didn't go swimming, but it was a nice size indoor pool open until 10pm. I would reccommend this hotel for the banquet/catering facilities and the rooms if you happen to be in the area. One more thing, there was a nice fireplace (real) in the lobby for a cute rustic photo opp.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us and for recommending our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed yourself and we hope you will stay with us again whenever you visit NYC or northern NJ.

Scott McArthur

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
HYATT house Morristown
The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Madison Hotel? Share your experiences!