“Best Starwood Property in the Area -- If you can get a room”

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
MI
“Best Starwood Property in the Area -- If you can get a room”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at the Westin Gov. Morris in 2011. If you can make a reservation (since it's often booked 3+ weeks in advance), it's a good hotel. It has all the features that make it a Westin, but the building is old (i.e. the bathrooms are a little small). Otherwise, it's the best option available if you are a Starwood traveler.

The restaurant is very nice with a decent beer list, but very expensive.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear bvalentine002,
Thank you for taking your time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback and recognizing us as the best Starwood hotel in the area. It does makes us feel special. Thank you for your continued loyalty and support. We hope to serve you again in the near future.
Colin Ankersen.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I only stay at Starwood properties and I was excited to learn that there was a Westin in town when we were invited to Morristown for a wedding.

The location of the hotel was very convenient...right off the highway. I appreciated the abundance of free parking and the lobby was beautiful. Check-in was a little on the slow side, but we had multiple rooms so that was to be expected. It was very nice that our rooms were able to be blocked together. We appreciated that gesture since we were traveling with my elderly grandmother.

The room quality was hit or miss. The room I stayed in was nice for the most part. The bed was comfy and the TV was great! The bathroom, while clean, could have benefited from some repairs. Our faucet leaked all over the counter and the door was cracked. The toilet seemed to run much longer than it should but the cleanliness negated all of these issues. The room that one of my family members stayed in smelled like smoke and had a completely different toilet in the bathroom. Not a big deal, but the lack of uniformity was unusual. But then again, I don't often get to see multiple rooms in the hotel during one stay so many this is more common than I think.

The biggest negative was the noise. There was a large wedding in the hotel while we were there and they were loud and rude. There were children running through the hallways from seven in the morning until midnight and people loitering in the halls drinking and carrying on. I understand that wedding guests want to have fun but I don't know why the front desk doesn't anticipate this and block all the non-wedding guests away from the noise. It probably wouldn't be a perfect solution but it might help a little with the noise. An attempt to alert the front desk of the issue went unanswered. It was one o'clock in the morning and I didn't have the energy to keep trying.

The room block for the wedding I was staying at was at another hotel in Morristown and I couldn't help but thinking when we left that perhaps we should have stayed there surrounded by our family and friends who were on the same schedule we were. However, if I find myself in Morristown again I would be willing to give this hotel another chance...I would just make sure to ask for the most quiet room possible upon check-in.

Room Tip: If there is a wedding in-house and you're not a part of it ask to be put as far away from the we...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JLeigh2182
Dear JLeigh2182,
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback. We are glad that you liked most part of your stay. Please accept my apologies for the noise issues due to the wedding party. We are reviewing our security procedures to make sure situations are handled more efficiently in the future. We really hope you would give us another chance to redeem in the future. Please feel free to contact me personally if I may be of any further assistance.
Cranford
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I recently had my wedding reception at the Westin Governor Morris Hotel. The staff did an amazing job!!!!!! The food was incredible! The service was top notch. The staff took pride in their work and showed true professionalism. Their attention to detail was amazing. They were very patient throughout the wedding planning process. Our on site coordinator, Carrie, was so wonderful. She was so easy to work with and always responded to my inquires immediately. I always felt as though I was in good hands. My husband and I were so happy with the wedding reception. Our guests raved about the service. My husband and I have also stayed in a hotel room overnight at the Westin. The rooms are great. They are very clean and decoarated so nicely. The service was great! I highly recommend the Westin Governor Morris Hotel if you are checking out wedding venues as well as if you are looking for a nice hotel in the Morristown area. Thank you! Alley S.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite as an overnight room was great. Our wedding reception was held in the Governor'...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear AllisonS,
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. It was a delight reading your raving review. We are overwhelmed with the positive feedback on our staff- Carrie, food and your whole experience with us. Thank you for recommending us as a wedding venue as well. Congratulations on your wedding and please do come and visit us again soon.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The rooms were nice and big which we loved. The staff is very nice and friendly and they make you feel welcomed. The hotel is a few min drive from the street where all the bars are, awesome. The food was the big issue, very over priced and taste is worse than microwave food. We paid 16 dollars for a California sushi roll. They charged us 7 dollars for a glass of water (we did not pay for that in the end) we ordered a ceaser salad, it was a few slices of lettuce and bread, the lettuce was not chopped up! Do NOT order food when you go there, go to the local dinner the food is amazing, fresh, and well priced.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear dollysh,
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the kind comments on our rooms and friendly staff. Please accept my sincerest apologies that our food options were not to your liking. We hope you would give us another chance in the future to redeem. Thank you again for staying with us. Let me know if I may be of any further service.
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This hotel has a nice old world charm. Huge property, in a quiet corner of Morristown. The lobby is very impressive. The rooms could do better. Though the bathrooms were clean and modern, the entry into it was a little narrow. Also the rest of the room was a little outdated. The rooms were very clean though. The beds were clean and heavenly as promised by starwood. Overall a mixed experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Vinod R
Dear Vinod R,
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your kind comments on our lobby, cleanliness and heavenly beds. We do have some existing challenges with our bathroom size. But I am glad that overall you enjoyed our hotel and described it as a "nice old charm". Please do come and visit us again. Let me know if I may be of any further assistance.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This is an old building, possibly a former hotel, that has been revamped by Westin with mixed results. It is dark and cavernous but the rooms are spacious and the beds, like at all Westins, are amazing. The pool is nice and surrounded by lots of green foliage, maybe the best thing about the stay. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We were there with a large group for a wedding and they worked with us to keep our group in the same area of the hotel.

This is one of the pricier hotels in Morristown and there are better options in the area for less money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear SalsaPicante78,
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your feedback. Yes, the hotel building itself is definitely old but as you mentioned we try and make it up with our Heavenly beds and other Westin products and friendly staff. Thank you for highlighting that as well. We hope you would give us another chance in the near future. Thank you again for staying with us.
South Plainfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Westin as we attended a beautifully done wedding on the property. The main areas of the hotel was beautiful, the service was amazing and food at wedding delicious! Unfortunately, behind the door of our hotel bathroom, we had quite a different experience. It appears that the 'renovation' was only completed on the surface. A new shower fixture was added to old bathtub/shower with outdated tile, wallpaper was peeling off bathroom walls, fixtures were broken in bathroom, the new vanity didn't fit the decor and the vanity didn't have much surface space. On a positive note, the bedding was comfortable and the flat screen television was nice.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear gingeranne77,
Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that you liked our service, staff, wedding reception as well as our heavenly beds and flat screen tvs. Please accept my apology for the maintenance and condition of the bathroom. Would you be able to share more details on the reservation or the room number so that our maintenance team can specifically address this? Our team does do preventive maintenance on all guestrooms on a daily basis. Thank you again for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me at 973-539-7300 and let me know if I may be of any further assistance. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Colin Ankersen.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
Best Western Plus Morristown Inn
Westminster Hotel
Westminster Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!