“The very bottom of the Westin Standard” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
“The very bottom of the Westin Standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

I was redeeming mileage reward travel in November 2013, and this property was one of the few in the area that was not "2 stars" or less. However, while the hotel was overall a safe, clean and relatively pleasant place to stay I have rated it POOR as it is a Westin in name only. I question when this property was last (if ever) reviewed for its 4 stars. The condition of my room, and the property in general, was sad and dated, despite apparent attempts to add spit and polish to dress it up.

Having previously found Westin properties across the country consistent in their policies and hospitality, I assumed all were managed by Starwood. However, that's not the case. Through some Faustian deal,the Govenor Morris is managed by a Florida hotel management company called Island Hospitality Management. This appears to be the only Westin they manage in a portfolio that includes mostly Hampton Inns, Residence Inns, and the like. Let's just say that a rose by any other name might smell as sweet...."but this place ain't no rose."

Specifically -
1.) Failure to inform me in advance of my arrival of special additional charges ($50 per night, per pet) for my "pet friendly" room,
2.) Completely absurd and legally questionable damage waiver,
3.) HORRIBLE PHYSICAL CONDITION OF THE ROOM (making the above waiver even more ridiculous!) - don't take my word for it - take a look at the pics.
4.) Completely inadequate response by management when made aware of the issues during and following my stay.

Apologies are not remedies, and become insincere and trite when actions don't back them up, and explanations are only excuses for poor performance when they fail to fit the facts.

FAIL: FOR NICKEL AND DIME HOSPITALITY.
If you can't afford to sell a room at the rate you are selling it, raise your prices. Don't gauge me with ridiculous fees and explanations for them that are not supported by the facts.

FAIL: MANAGEMENT'S CLAIM OF ROOMS BEING SPECIALLY CLEANED TO REMOVE DOG
HAIR WHEN YOUR STAFF DOES NOT EVEN HAVE THE TIME OR RESOURCES TO CLEAN
AND FIX BASIC AMENITIES.
My room had cracked mirrors, leaking faucets, stained and mildewed tubs, dated and poorly installed bathroom fixtures, mismatched broken windows and trashed blinds, and an unplugged uncharged phone all undermined my sense of value, quality and overall cleanliness.

FAIL: MANAGEMENT'S RESPONSE TO MY DOCUMENTED COMPLAINT.
Corporate was gracious and apologetic in response to my concerns.
Local management offered rebuttle.
The Front Desk Supervisor claimed my concerns were the result of High Occupancy the week prior...
Seriously? YOU'RE A HOTEL!
These problems were the result of long term neglect and lack of attention to detail, not a busy week.
The problems in that room did not get that way in a week's, or even a month's time.
And even if that were the case?
Then take that room out of service...unless its no worse than every other room on site.

If management can't provide a room that measures up to the standard for proper cleaning and good repair, then shut down until it can....or drop the Westin name, and folks with 4 star expectations will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Westin in name only - better price and equal value to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mike S
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Mike S

Please let me appologize for your incoveniences and your dissapointing stay with us. We strive to meet and exceed your expectations and we are dissapointed as well when we fall short.

If you would like to reach out to me at cankersen@westinmorristown.com I would be happy to discuss this further wtih you and appologize in person.

Be Well

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wayne, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

From the moment we walked into the hotel and met JOHN the amazing doorman we knew we were in great hands. John is probably one of the best doormen I have ever met at a hotel. He was so helpful, friendly, always making sure that we were fine - that we did not need anything... Kelly, helped to make the weekend of my son's wedding so easy - she and her staff were on top of everything and there whenever we needed her. From the rehersal dinner Friday night, to the Farewell dinner - all went off without a single hitch. The beds are of course, Heavenly...Having a Limo company on premises made getting our guests to and from the airport a breeze. The wedding was at the Park Savoy - AMAZING - and the hotel arranged all the transportation for us and our guests - Thank you for that ...

On a negetive note - at the bar the bartenders called for last call at 1:25. RIGHT after we ordered and received our drinks the bartenders came around and told us that we had to FINISH the drinks within the next 10 minutes or take them up to our rooms. WHY sell them to us and then force us to drink them right up or leave and drink alone in our rooms? Several of us took our drinks out into the lobby where we were followed and the drinks were taken away from us. I later learned the our contract specifically said that the bar would remain open until 2 AM but the barteneders claimed they knew nothing about this and that they were independant of the hotel. That is why I gave SERVICE and AvERAGE grade - the rest of the staff was great!

Room Tip: I was in several of the rooms and can say they were all equal as far as noise...if view is a concern...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue B
Dear Sue B

Thank you for your kind comments and for staying with us. We appreciate being a part of such a special occasion. John does a great job for us and he is an ambassador for our committment to excellent customer service.

I am sorry about the experience in the bar and I will make sure that I address this with the team. But we have very specific specific liqour laws that we have to follow from our local township.

Middletown, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

If you are into the Presidents etc Washington's winter stop over location in Morrostown is a WONDERFUL way to mix business and pleasure. Only looked at the outside this time - next time back will do the whole thing. Hotel is nice - may come back with family in the summer. Can't beat the Starwood beds.

Room Tip: Not downtown - so make sure you have a car and plan ahead as to where you will park in town to not h...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Carmella S

You are right there is a lot of history in the immidiate area that is interesting to check out. Acorn Hall next door to the the hotel is a the Historical Society of Morristown. We also do offer a complimentary shuttle within 5 miles that includes shops, restaurant and historical sites.

Thanks for staying with us.

Summit, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

We recently held our 11/17/12 wedding at the Westin Governor Morris and could not have been more pleased with our entire experience. From the first time we met with Carrie, we immediately felt confident in selecting the Westin for our reception, as well as rehearsal dinner and Sunday farewell brunch. Carrie and the entire team made us feel so special throughout the planning process, as well as the weekend of our wedding. First class communication throughout the entire process, especially for all the "little questions" that come up during planning logistics. Carrie was a dream to work with throughout and was thoughtful, professional, and just a wonderful resource! Even though we came in under our guaranteed count, they worked with us to add more stations to cocktail hour and dessert so that we didn’t end up paying for food/service we weren’t getting. Our guests can’t stop talking about how amazing the food was – and how much of it there was at both cocktail hour, dinner and the Venetian dessert hour. Pedro and the service team were amazing throughout the entire weekend – they made us feel like royalty all weekend, always making sure we had whatever we wanted! I had purchased special linens and other personalized décor touches and they made sure the ballroom looked incredible – when they brought us in to show us the room before opening it up to our guests, I actually cried because they made my vision of our wedding come to life. Many of our guests stayed overnight and loved the hotel accommodations – we were lucky enough to stay in the Presidential suite all weekend and it is gorgeous. The Westin Governor Morris staff makes you feel so welcome - from the front desk staff, to the bellman, to the security team, to the wait staff - they are all wonderful! Virtually all of our guests have told us it was the best wedding they’ve ever been to (including a few couples who just got married last year). Carrie and the rest of the Westin Governor Morris team went above and beyond to make our wedding so amazing – their slogan is “this is how it should feel” and we walked away feeling like royalty!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear RebeccaS893,

Thank you for taking your time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience with us and appreciate your comments on our food, customer service, lobby and accommodations. We are thrilled to have made your wedding so special for you. We hope that you would come and visit us again in the near future. Thank you again for staying with us.

Regards,
Colin Ankersen
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2013

I am a local but I frequent the local establishments in the area often. The westin has by far the best and nicest atmosphere around this area. The hotel itself is new, clean, and the best place to stay. The only downside is that it is not walking distance to the center of Morristown. It is worth it to stay farther away though. The bed was incredible.

Room Tip: Head to the bar for friend bartenders and great drinks.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

My husband and I just spent a week at the Westin Governor Morris Hotel in Morristown, NJ. We hadn't been to the hotel in almost an entire year, yet many members of the staff remembered us and welcomed us warmly. I've traveled a lot in my life and this is the only hotel where I feel like I'm with family.

Of specific note - John greets us warmly and makes sure my needs our taken care of. My husband had a torn calf muscle and couldn't walk well. John grabbed a wheelchair and went to get him from our car without even being asked.

Richard, Yessy, Fabiola, Dario....The entire restaurant staff is outstanding - and not to mention the food. The chocolate brioche bread pudding is the best dessert I've eaten in my whole life.

Finally, hotel manager Tanzania is one of the kindest-hearted people I've met in a long time.

I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Away from rooms where weddings are held is a good idea.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Sandi D

Thank you for your kind comments and for coming back to stay with us. Your positive comments on all the staff members are the very reason why we are in this business. We thrive on positive comments and exceeding our customers expectations.

We look forward to having you back with us soon again.

New Hope, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

I definitely love the look of this hotel...so much charm! From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by very friendly hotel staff. Everyone was so friendly throughout our entire stay so we have no complaints about service. The room and bathroom were on the smaller side but very clean. We were happy that the hotel had a bar/restaurant but disappointed that they closed right after a large group of guests arrived after a wedding. I wish the bar stayed open later. Also we had breakfast at the hotel and although it tasted ok, my husband found a long hair in his food which was a total turnoff.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Dapfunk187

Thanks for your kind comments and for staying with us. Unfortunately we have very specific requirements from our township regarding Bar and the hours of operations. I am really sorry about your breakfast and I would like to invite your to come back and have brunch on us for the inconvenience. You can reach me at cankersen@westinmorristown.com

Be Well
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
#1 of 1 in Livingston
Hanover Marriott
Hanover Marriott
#2 of 6 in Whippany

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!