“Poor Service and Indifferent Staff”

The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Morristown
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My confirmation number from the Starwoods website was 001174618. Check-In was supposed to be for 3 PM EST. I tried checking in at 6:30 PM and was advised the room still was not ready. No one on the staff seemed to have any sense of urgency regarding this matter. If my rental is to start at 3 PM and I don't get my room until approximately 7 PM EST, I would think that I shouldn't be charged the full price because I didn't have the room for the agreed upon timeframe. To be clear, I was charged the full amount. I was told that my room had not been cleaned earlier in the day when I tried to check in and then I got the same line at 6:30 when I was sure the room would be ready. I was staying at the hotel for a wedding in which I was a groomsman. The unavailability of the room caused me to have to get ready in someone else's room; an imposition I did not want to make. It also prevented me from being able to store my luggage and personal items in a space designated for me. Instead of taking pictures with the bridal party, I was busy trying to fix this simple check-in issue. I waited at the courtesy desk for 20 minutes while someone was allegedly checking on the cleanliness of the room. Since my luggage was in another person's room before the wedding reception, I had to wait until after the reception to chase down that person so I could get my things. Therefore, the next day was also complicated by this mishap. The temperature control in the room was seemingly broken and there was no ventilation. Overall, a poor experience exacerbated by a poorly trained staff. I'm glad I live in GA now and don't have to put up with this NJ brand of "hospitality."

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Gautam V,

Thank you for your review on the Westin Governor Morris on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear about the inconveniences you had with your stay. I would like to speak with you more about your past stay with us. You can reach me at cankersen@westinmorristown.com or at 973-539-7300.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Here for one night on business. Don't know whether I got an upgrade, but the king room was very large and had plenty of room to spread out. This is an older property that has been updated and rehabbed consistent with what Westin has been doing throughout the US. So that means updated furnishings, bath, etc. All very pleasing and comfortable. The room was very quiet. Used the gym and it was well supplied and clean. Had a breakfast in the restaurant that was included in the rate and it was pretty standard, but certainly did the job. Will stay here again when in area. And of course, the staff was great and very accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eurorunner

Dear Eurorunner,

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. I have glad to hear you enjoyed your trip with us. I am also happy to hear that you took advantage of our Westin Workout Studio and that you enjoyed the spacious room upgrade and breakfast in the Blue Morel. We hope to see you again during your next visit to Morristown, NJ.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Nice place, reasonable rates. Not far from Newark airport. The room was a good size and toiletries were very nice quality.
The lounge was a nice place to hang out after flying in to NJ, but an outdoor lounge area for a nice summer night is what this hotel needs. They have a nice pool area that could double as an evening lounge area, something to think about in the future.
They offer a great shuttle service also that will drop you off and pick you up within a 5 mile radius.
And, the beds are super comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Thomas J A,

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would be happy to discuss your feedback with my team and see what we can come up with. I am glad to hear that you enjoy the Blue Morel and Wine Bar as well as our Westin Heavenly beds. We hope to see you again during your next visit to Morristown, NJ.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights for a wedding. The hotel is very nice. The room was large and pretty clean. The carpet could have been vacuumed a little better. The bed & pillows were comfy. The bedding was clean. The bathroom was pretty tiny but updated and modern. The provided toiletries were good quality. Plenty of towels provided. The room had a really nice single serve coffee maker with Starbucks coffee. Free wifi. The front desk staff was friendly & helpful. The hotel has a very nice restaurant and bar, but both are on the pricey side. The hotel has a free shuttle that will pick you up at the train station & also shuttle you anywhere within 5 miles. It was a very nice place to stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Mommyinmotion,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to read our your positive comments about the Westin Governor Morris. We hope to see you again during your next visit to Morristown, NJ.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for a wedding nearby and there were 12 other weddings happening the same day. The staff was super well organized with gift bags, shuttles for the many different parties, and huge groups checking in and out. The room was very well appointed and the beds truly "Heavenly," as stated. Great outdoor pool, good breakfast buffet, free WiFi.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Crosby372,

Thank you for your review on the TripAdvior about the Westin Governor Morris. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am also glad to hear you enjoyed our Heavenly products and your stay went smoothly while attending a wedding. We hope to see you again during your next trip to Morristown, NJ.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at the Westin Govenor Morris. The beds were the most comfortable beds i have ever slept on. The rooms are updated in a modern style nice size bath rain shower head with hand held wand attachment. This hotel got it right when considering the comfort if their guests. The pool is lovely we felt like we where in our own backyard pool. Not a big huge hotel resorty kinda of pool. The staff is very helpful and courteous. The only thing i would like to see is a place to eat breakfast with family friendly prices. The coffee bar is a nice convenience but $13.48 for 2 small coffees and 2 bagels is a bit high for families in a budget. Again the blue morrel is lovely but $17 for an egg white omelet is expensive. We didn't rent a car so walked the 1.8 miles into morristown green where all shops and restaurants are. The hotel shuttle runs every 30 minutes so you have to plan ahead. Will definitely visit this lovely historic city again again!

Stayed: June 2014
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear TimetravelerFl,

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Heavenly products and the amenities. I will use your feedback and look into the pricing we currently have in our outlets. We hope to see you again at the Westin Governor Morris.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The rooms are all well appointed, clean and everything worked as it should. The bar at the hotel is very large, very attractive and has a huge assortment of liquors. The lobby was pleasant and isn't a bad place to hang out (although I didn't). The staff is courteous and responsive. I had booked five rooms and asked for early check-in for 3 of them. All 3 were ready when we arrived. I hosted a breakfast buffet for 130 people. The room where it took place was spacious and ready on time and the buffet was set up and ready-to-go in advance of the guests arriving. In addition the wait staff did a good job and the buffet was regularly re-stocked as needed. All-in-all, it was a fine stay. The only negative criticism is that the outdoor pool had a fair amount of leaves and similar debris in it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
colinankersen, General Manager at The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear GeneR100,

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate your early check-in requests and the brunch the following morning went smoothly. We hope to see you again at the Westin Governor Morris.

Colin Ankersen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morristown
The Madison Hotel
5 mi away
Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
Sheraton Parsippany Hotel
#7 of 16 in Parsippany

Been to The Westin Governor Morris, Morristown? Share your experiences!