“A blissful farmyard detox, Cornish style”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Portscatho
Pollaughan Holiday Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portscatho
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My fiancée and I have just had a thoroughly enjoyable 1 week break at this wonderful place. What a find! From the off, I felt this was going to be a very special holiday and I was not disappointed as the stay progressed. Tim and Valerie were extremely welcoming and accommodating and it's clear they are doing something very right. The set up was just gorgeous - everything that previous reviewers have commented on is true. It really is an up-lifting experience to wake up in such beautiful surroundings and to feel so alive. An added plus was that we were able to take our little dog (a miniature schnauzer) which made all the difference. All the more so because dogs are allowed onto the local beaches during low season (until Easter). The location of the farm is perfect as a launch pad into the immediate vicinity and further afield. Cornwall really has something for everyone - a county that must be one of the most idyllic in England. It's obviously a long drive from London but so worth the effort. We were without children but I cannot imagine a better place to come as a family (+/- pet/s). It appeared to me that there are several other B&Bs and farm-based accommodations in the area but I did not feel the need or desire to check them out. When you hit upon something so good, there's just no point really. I would definitely return - with or without children. My one and only gripe and I feel almost blasphemous in saying this, is that I found the bed in Meadows rather too soft and insufficiently supportive for my back. I do suffer with intermittent back pain and I need a really firm mattress. Unfortunately, I did wake up on occasions with a rather sore aching back as a result. However, this soon passed as we started our daily activity of coastal path walking etc. So just one tip: perhaps it's time to replace the mattress and/or entire bed in Meadows. I can't speak for the other cottages obviously. As I say, a minor gripe and this did not detract from the overall fantastic experience we had, in no small part due to Tim and Valerie's special brand of local Cornish magic. They truly deserve their success. The proof of the pudding is that my Finnish fiancée (currently living in Helsinki) now officially loves Cornwall and wants to move/live there! PS: I've deliberately left an Impossipuzzle in Meadows. Have a go. I did it in about 1.5 hours.... :-)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Capri_lover2010

Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed at Pollaughan for a long weekend and were delighted. We have stayed in many holiday cottages and Pollaughan stands out for many reasons: the quality of the accommodation, furnishings, beds, bathrooms but above all for the warm welcome (and I don't just mean the home-made cream tea on arrival!) We felt we had superior customer service to friends who stayed in expensive hotels in the area..I would recommend to anyone, families and couples, with or without children.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JVBNorthamptonshire
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Pollaughan farm is THE BEST cottage we have ever stayed in. Tim and Valerie have got it very right.
Please do book here if you would like a holiday that will live with you for ever.

Room Tip: There all good
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Just returned from our 4th trip here. The place is brilliant, the cottages are lovely and well equiped and perfect if you have kids. Valerie and Tim lay everything on for you and nothing is too much trouble.

Each morning Tim or Valerie take the kids round to feed the ducks, goats, pigs and chickens then collect the eggs. Our two little ones (under 2 and 4) live for this and are eldest has done nothing but talk about this place since we first went over 2 years ago.

Valerie offers some catering which they deliver to your cottage and the food is fantastic. They put arrange of toys and garden toys in each property to keep the kids going between animal feeding times.

This place is completely setup to give you a fantastic holiday experience, with so much thought and love put into it by the owners.

I can not recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RAPMS
Reviewed 21 October 2011

There are not many places that I’ve been to on holiday and genuinely felt that the owners have put so much love, care and thought into their business. However, it does not feel like a business, you feel like a friend staying in their barns. Everything is thought of and is there……toys, trampoline, bikes for the kids, fully equipped kitchen (even a blender, medicine spoons and children’s plates and cutlery), comfortable beds, homemade lavender soap and so much more. We even borrowed a 3 wheel buggy that was fantastic on the beach.

We were in ‘Fallows’ and our friends were in ‘Meadows’. Both barns are beautiful and designed so well. The gardens were safe and enclosed for the children and so much space that they managed to run around letting off steam. This certainly guaranteed we also got to relax as all the kids were crashed in bed by 7pm each evening.

The location is well positioned and it’s easy to travel to beautiful beaches, ports and towns. Tim and Valerie were fantastic. An extra cot for us to put into our friends barn, so we could have long relaxing evening meals, was no issue. Help with what to do for the day (even though there was plenty of literature in the barn), help with ferry tickets, advice on where to park…..nothing was too much trouble.

Our daughter and our friends twins loved the morning animal feed with Farmer Tim! Ducks, goats and chickens to feed and collecting the freshly laid eggs for breakfast. Actually, there was also a goat called Tigger who had a fantastic party trick…..dancing! Donkeys, sheep, horses and a beautiful family dog called Mungo also kept the attention of the kids.

If ever you want a beautiful location, environment and fabulous hosts then this is the place to visit, as a couple or family. We will return for another visit.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Carrie L
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We spent a week at Pollaughan with our 2 ½ year old twins and another family and had the loveliest holiday.

Tim and Valerie have thought of everything and have created holiday cottages which are perfect for young families (and child-free families alike!). We stayed in “Meadows” which was equipped with cots, monitors, highchairs, toys, books, ride-ons and a trampoline which meant that we didn’t have to think about taking anything like that with us.

Every morning at 9am we would go with “Farmer Tim” as he is now affectionately known… and fed the goats, chickens, ducks and pigs. We would collect eggs for breakfast too which was a lovely way for the kids to start the day.

Pollaughan Farm is ideally situated close to a lovely sandy beach and very easy to get to all the favourite spots in Cornwall.

I can’t imagine finding another holiday cottage in Cornwall of such high standards and would not hesitate to return next year.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
ValeriePenny, Owner at Pollaughan Holiday Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Wow, thankyou so much for taking time to write us such a glowing review...here at Pollaughan we really care deeply about making sure our visitors have the best time possible and try to make everything just as we would want it when we go on holiday with or without children... so its really really heartening when we receive such great feedback.... thankyou and keep an eye on our Facebook Page for news of the Cornwall Tourism Awards 2011 as we have just heard we are in the top three for Self Catering this year !

Reviewed 29 July 2011

This place is amazing. The cottages were clean and had everything you would expect from a self catering cottage. The owners are incredibaly friendly and always went out of there way to help and offer advice on what to do. The children loved as they went out every morning with 'Farmer Tim' to feed all the animals and came back with a fresh egg for there breakfast. Very well situated in Cornwall to go most places for a day out. Don't forget to use the King Harry ferry at least once

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank wally388
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portscatho
The Oceanic Hotel
#1 of 3 in Portscatho
Plume of Feathers B & B
Plume of Feathers B & B
#2 of 3 in Portscatho

Been to Pollaughan Holiday Cottages? Share your experiences!