“Cornwalls Hidden Gem”

Ranked #1 of 3 Portscatho B&B and Inns
Bridport, United Kingdom
“Cornwalls Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I booked this B and B on line, we were so pleased we did, a very warm welcome from the owner, a lovely very clean on Suite Twin Bed Room, a very big choice for breakfast, all the staff were very helpful and pleasant, we would recommend Trewithian Farm to any of our friends.

Room Tip: All rooms are good value.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank visionman1941

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We have just returned from a four night stay at trewithian farm. We booked at the last minute when we were unable to stay in the caravan next door. Wendy was extremely welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The house was beautifully warm and inviting, the attention to detail in the bedroom and bathroom meant we wanted for nothing. My husband was particularly taken with the fabulous cooked breakfast and I very much enjoyed Wendy's home made muesli, fresh fruit salad and selection of Cornish cheeses with the fresh pastries. The parrot and cat, grandchildren etc really made us feel that we were sharing a lovely family home. My pet hate is the UHT cartons of milk so the flask of fresh milk that was left in our room daily was a real treat. We also took advantage of the lovely cosy sitting room with our bottle of wine.We will certainly return as my sister-in-law wants to stay as well. Thank you Wendy and family.
Janet and clive oliver

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janet O
WendyP293, Owner at Trewithian Farm B&B, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review, I'm glad that you enjoyed your break with us and very much hope to see you again. Have a fantastic time in Ibiza! Kindest regards Wendy and family
Brough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed for 3 nights last week at Trewithian Farm. Excellent value, superb en-suite accommodation with TV, Tea and Coffee making facilities and fresh milk and biscuits. Breakfasts were very filling with choice of starter and toast plus full English consisting of Bacon, Sausage, Egg, Tomato, Mushroom and Fried Bread. Wendy the owner plus here staff were very friendly and noting was too much trouble.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David R
WendyP293, Owner at Trewithian Farm B&B, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Many thanks for your kind review. We are glad you enjoyed your break here at Trewithian and hope you will visit us again if you are in the area. With kind regards Wendy.
Essex
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Just got back from Trewithian after a four night stay. Wendy, the owner, couldn't have been more accommodating - we requested vegetarian sausages in advance by email and we were delighted with the delicious breakfast we devoured every morning. She made us feel very welcome, and introduced us to her menagerie of pets (a cat, a parrot that said 'bye' to you on the way out, and a delightful little Yorkshire terrier!)

We stayed in a twin room with an en-suite - the room and bathroom were clean, spacious and practical. Tea and coffee making facilities were available in the room with fresh milk and delicious biscuits provided. The shower was powerful and lovely and hot. Comfortable beds and very quiet.

They also have a lovely living room with very comfortable sofas for guests to enjoy and a payphone with useful numbers as the phone signal down there is terrible.

The house is a 15 minute walk from Porthcurnick beach (where you'll find the famous Hidden Hut) and 20 minutes from Portscatho. The walk is glorious when the sun is shining. Otherwise, we would recommend hiring a car or booking taxis in advance with Rob Peters - Wendy can provide the number.

If you are arriving by train - St Austell and Truro are the nearest stops and a pre-booked taxi is essential (£30 each way with Rob). It is only 4 hours and 40 minutes from London Paddington.

We would definitely recommend this B&B - it has a very good reputation locally and I couldn't disagree more with the review written by FionaNW5. They couldn't have been friendlier. We will be back! Thank you Wendy & co.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CD1Essex
WendyP293, Owner at Trewithian Farm B&B, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again in the future. Kindest regards Wendy
London
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed here on the August bank holiday weekend and was really surprised by the property. Large, spacious, comfortable. It was incredibly clean and homely. We stayed in the twin room and it was large and immaculate with a flatscreen tv and tea/coffee/biscuits plus fresh milk brought up to us. The bathroom was plain but once again incredibly clean with soft large towels.
Wendy the owner couldn't have been more friendly and helped us out with a couple of things on our 2 night stay. The breakfast was delicious - loads of fresh juice, fruit, yoghurt's and cereals plus a cooked breakfast - one of the best I've had.
The location is close to Portscatho and Gerrans where there are pubs and places to eat. The B+B is on a far, so be prepared for alarm clocks of cows in the morning!
I would definitely recommend this place and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank CRKSE4
WendyP293, Owner at Trewithian Farm B&B, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and do hope that you will return. Kind regards, Wendy
LONDON
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have just returned from a holiday in France and am filing some glowing Trip Advisor B&B reviews, which has made me compare my experience with my truly awful stay at this Cornish B&B last year, so I am reviewing it now.

Everything was too much trouble. Everything. To begin with, our first night was a Saturday and we asked if we could have breakfast half an hour late the next morning, at 9.30 instead of 9. This request was denied and we were made to feel that we had done a really bad thing in asking. When we arrived in the breakfast room at 8.50 the next morning we were given unfriendly looks and eyes were rolled when we asked for more orange juice as the jug was empty. The same thing happened on the next morning, and the next. I have never stayed anywhere so unfriendly in my life - and I have travelled a lot.
At one point I saw one of the children of the house kick the dog, which just about summed up the attitude of that house.
On the last morning, we went back up to our room and packed after breakfast. We left our room at ten past ten. As we passed the woman who seemed to be in charge she just looked at us, tapped her watch, and said "Out by ten." No goodbye, no thank you, just a rude stare and a ticking off for vacating our room ten minutes late. Unbelievable.

It goes without saying that I will never stay here again, and have warned several friends and other members of my family off this place. This is EXACTLY the sort of place that gives English B&Bs a bad name.

Horrendous.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank FionaNW5
WendyP293, Owner at Trewithian Farm B&B, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
I was extremely saddened to read your review and disappointed that it didn't relate to a recent stay but from last year. I'm sorry that we couldn't accommodate your late breakfast request and even more sorry that you felt that you were made to feel bad for asking or that you were made to feel unwelcome in the dining room and only wish that you had brought this to my attention at the time so that it could have been dealt with. Only one thing regarding the child that kicked the dog I don't have any children living at the house my son, who is 27 years old, has not lived here for almost 3 years so can only think that you are referring to my granddaughter who is nearly 3 years old but doesn't live here either and we would certainly not permit any cruelty to any animal. I have in the main the same help as last year so will be discussing your comments regarding the dining room and departure with them as soon as possible. If I can be of anymore help please do not hesitate contact me. Kind regards Wendy
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at short notice after we had initially had to cancel. It meant moving rooms but at least we were able to see more of the accommodation. Wendy was more than helpful and very approachable.
The rooms were huge and had ample storage. We had a private seperate bathroom first then an ensuite. Both were clean with fresh white towels, together with hand creams etc. In the bedroom was bottled water, biscuits and hot drink facilities.
The breakfast was the meal of the day. Fruit juice, cereals, full English and enough options to please the fussiest eater.
The staff made us feel welcome, as did the parrot in the entrance hall.....and I defy anyone not to smile or laugh along with the sound of Wendy's laughter!
The farm is located next to an A road which can hardly be described as busy, and is a 20 minute walk from a beautiful sandy beach and a couple of good hotels for quality food.
Portscatho is a short drive away and has a good pub that has good food and well kept beer.
Thanks Wendy.We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Mark N
WendyP293, Owner at Trewithian Farm B&B, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again! Wendy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portscatho
The Rosevine
The Rising Sun
The Rising Sun
#5 of 5 in St Mawes
The Ship and Castle Hotel

Been to Trewithian Farm B&B? Share your experiences!