“Clean but...”
Review of Woodlands Lodge

Woodlands Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bishops Stortford
Woodlands Lodge
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Clean but...”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Not the traditional English B & B it looks like, but it was spotlessly clean. I arrived late (- even later than expected having been taken around BS by the Sat Nav which took me to the wrong end of Dunnmow Road) - and left very early so can't comment on the breakfast. In my efforts to find the place I rang them but gave up on the difficult conversation in which the guy didn't understand me and I couldn't understand him. It was cheap and did have an en suite but the plumbing was shocking. I suspect that the shower which was clearly marked 'this must not be connected to the mains' probably had been connected to the mains because it was either scalding hot or freezing cold. I gave up on the idea in the end. It was very convenient for Stanstead..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The location is fine no problem with that although a more visible sign could be useful especially when arriving at night (maybe a light above the sign). It was cheap so I wasn't expecting much but I would've at least like to have had an ensuite bathroom rather than having to share 1 that didn't lock in the corridor (I checked by the way and there was no mention that the bathroom wasn't ensuite on the website. Staff were friendly enough but their knowledge was basic. I was shown to my room but something basic like what time breakfast was got forgotten. I arrived fairly late so I asked where the nearest store was. The best answer I got once I'd convinced him the pub wouldn't still be serving food was turn right and drive for about 7mins (if I'd done that i'd have gone right through the town as it isn't that big! Cleanliness was satisfactory and the bed felt fine although luckily I'm a sound sleeper otherwise the noise from upstairs would've kept me awake (very thin walls and ceiling - all couple take not if you're bothered)

• Stayed July 2012
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We booked to stay here two nights - one when departing from Stansted and again upon return before driving up to Darlington. Be aware - the picture on Tripadvisor is not of the property. We booked here due to its close proximity to the airport, the advertised £5/day parking charge and the 'chargeable airport transfer'.
There is a car park; no problem. But it's £8/day (upon closer inspection of the booking confirmation it does say this, but it also says £5 in a bold 'additional information' paragraph.) We asked the proprieter about the airport transfer - he said 'you can get a taxi. It will be about £15 but I don't really know as I don't get taxis.' Hmm.
The rooms are very basic (no toilet roll, shower either scalding or baltic, broken curtain rail), but you get what you pay for and we only paid £45.
Turns out on a Bank Holiday taxi drivers charge time1/2, so the 'airport transfer' (self-booked) was £18. We parked in a residential street to avoid the £8/day parking charge and came back (on the bus, in the rain) to a parking ticket...oops (but cheaper than the parking!)
As we didn't want to stay in the hotel again and we felt let down and misinformed we returned there to speak to the proprieter. We pointed out the misinformation. No cancellation, no refund, no apology, no customer service...After 15 minutes wrangling the man said 'you need to speak to my manager' (who wasn't there). We requested that the manager phoned us to discuss our dissatisfaction and under no circumstances should he simply charge the second night's stay to our credit card without even having the courtesy to phone. We have yet to receive a phone call, and yet to check our credit card bill.
DEFINITELY not recommended.
(Did this hotel change hands in 2009-ish? Decent reviews in 2009, big gap, terrible reviews in 2011.)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kayedog

Travellers are raving about these Bishops Stortford hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We spent a night at the Woodlands Lodge Inn. It is very convenient for Stansted, a couple of miles up the road but you would not know it - the aircraft noise is distant but minimal. The Inn offers really good value for money. Our room was cosy with an en-suite, lots of hot water, tv, tea making facilities and a large bed which was a bit lumpy but we slept well.
The breakfast room was a bit spartan but a continental breakfast was included and we enjoyed toast, cereal, fruit and some cheese and cold meats. The staff were friendly and helpful.
If you are looking for a one night stop, this place is ideal. It is basic but suited our purposes , and as I said before - good for what we paid. I would recommend it - and Stansted is just up the road. There is also a largish enclosed car park in the front of the inn.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front overlooking the entrance and car park. It was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I stayed overnight prior to an early morning flight at Stansted. The location of the B&B is good- 10 mins away from the airport..However I only stayed 7hrs and that was plenty. There are two things I expect from any decent hotel/bnb 1)a decent bed 2) A reasonable shower... This had neither. The mattress is really old- you can feel the spring coming through. I resorted to making a cocoon of the duvet, in order to have something comfortable to lie on. 2) the 'power' shower does 2 temperatures; freezing or boiling. Not what you need to be dealing with at 0330! Other downside..noisy road outside; no lightbulb in bedside lamp; NO TOILET PAPER provided!!
Seriously stay somewhere else!!

• Stayed June 2012
Buckingham
Reviewed 7 May 2012

After reading other reviews we were a little aprehensive but we need'nt have worried -- it was good value for money and spotlessly clean. We had a family room which was spacious,warm and clean.Large bathroom with spotless towles and even an air freshner! Lots of tea,coffee and milk supplied. A few things need "tweaking" ----- reception and breakfast rooms are a little bleak and dreary ----- only one pillow on beds ---- chipped breakfast cereal bowls ----- sink plug in bathroom needed replacing --- cereals in wrongly labelled boxes --little things which would make a big difference if attended to. Proprieter was pleasant enough. All in all good value for money --- you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: All rooms will be near a busy road but there is double glazed so no problem.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishops Stortford
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet

Been to Woodlands Lodge? Share your experiences!