“There's a reason it's cheap”
Review of Woodlands Lodge

Woodlands Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bishops Stortford
Woodlands Lodge
Reviewed 12 October 2012

If you are not driving your own car I do not recommend this place. It is advertised as convenient for Stansted Airport, which it is. BUT, I would have paid less in total if I'd stayed in a more expensive B&B a bit closer to the airport as transportation came to more than the cost of the room! No airport shuttle, and their taxi service was more expensive than the taxi I took from the airport! Other than that, pretty average. Really poor breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We used the Lodge as a treat before a long flight from Stanstead. The place is very poorly signposted and looks nothing like the above picture. The room was small but clean with a fairly new bathroom. The bath end panel still had the ripped remnants of its lable stuck to it. Water in the shower was dangerously hot. The bed was uncomfortable to say the least. The mattress was so cheap and thin that as i moved i could feel and hear the metal grinding together within the fabric.The airplane seat was more comfortable. Breakfast was a buffet style do it yourself affair. It was very poor quality. Very cheap and tacky to look at and very poor value. Had to eat breakfast at the airport!!! Overall a poor nights sleep, a poor breakfast and will never return.

Room Tip: Try and get one of the few En-suite rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I would give four stars but the lack of freshness really puts me off.
The hotel it's not particularly dirty but very tired.
The carpet smells of sigarette smoke and dust.
The shower, as mentioned by other contributors, it's a all or nothing experience. Super cold or super hot.

The breakfast it's served only from 7.30 which is a bit pointless if you have an early flight. You don't miss much though, just cereals, milk, toasts and some cheap jam.

You have a mini fridge in the room that comes quite handy if you a yoghurt addict like I am.
The location it's extremely close to the airport. You could even walk. It's all pavemented and It would take 20 minutes if you are a fast walker. I did it.
Bishops Stortford town it's 2 miles away and it's quite a surprise! There are plenty of restaurants and even an Art Gallery that deserves a visit if you are there for more than a few hours.
The last note is about the noise complained by some guests.
The two double rooms are really close to the road BUT the major noise is caused by the planes taking off. You have double glazing! What else are you expecting?
Finally. would I stay there again? 20 million times YES!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Not the traditional English B & B it looks like, but it was spotlessly clean. I arrived late (- even later than expected having been taken around BS by the Sat Nav which took me to the wrong end of Dunnmow Road) - and left very early so can't comment on the breakfast. In my efforts to find the place I rang them but gave up on the difficult conversation in which the guy didn't understand me and I couldn't understand him. It was cheap and did have an en suite but the plumbing was shocking. I suspect that the shower which was clearly marked 'this must not be connected to the mains' probably had been connected to the mains because it was either scalding hot or freezing cold. I gave up on the idea in the end. It was very convenient for Stanstead..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The location is fine no problem with that although a more visible sign could be useful especially when arriving at night (maybe a light above the sign). It was cheap so I wasn't expecting much but I would've at least like to have had an ensuite bathroom rather than having to share 1 that didn't lock in the corridor (I checked by the way and there was no mention that the bathroom wasn't ensuite on the website. Staff were friendly enough but their knowledge was basic. I was shown to my room but something basic like what time breakfast was got forgotten. I arrived fairly late so I asked where the nearest store was. The best answer I got once I'd convinced him the pub wouldn't still be serving food was turn right and drive for about 7mins (if I'd done that i'd have gone right through the town as it isn't that big! Cleanliness was satisfactory and the bed felt fine although luckily I'm a sound sleeper otherwise the noise from upstairs would've kept me awake (very thin walls and ceiling - all couple take not if you're bothered)

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 12 June 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We booked to stay here two nights - one when departing from Stansted and again upon return before driving up to Darlington. Be aware - the picture on Tripadvisor is not of the property. We booked here due to its close proximity to the airport, the advertised £5/day parking charge and the 'chargeable airport transfer'.
There is a car park; no problem. But it's £8/day (upon closer inspection of the booking confirmation it does say this, but it also says £5 in a bold 'additional information' paragraph.) We asked the proprieter about the airport transfer - he said 'you can get a taxi. It will be about £15 but I don't really know as I don't get taxis.' Hmm.
The rooms are very basic (no toilet roll, shower either scalding or baltic, broken curtain rail), but you get what you pay for and we only paid £45.
Turns out on a Bank Holiday taxi drivers charge time1/2, so the 'airport transfer' (self-booked) was £18. We parked in a residential street to avoid the £8/day parking charge and came back (on the bus, in the rain) to a parking ticket...oops (but cheaper than the parking!)
As we didn't want to stay in the hotel again and we felt let down and misinformed we returned there to speak to the proprieter. We pointed out the misinformation. No cancellation, no refund, no apology, no customer service...After 15 minutes wrangling the man said 'you need to speak to my manager' (who wasn't there). We requested that the manager phoned us to discuss our dissatisfaction and under no circumstances should he simply charge the second night's stay to our credit card without even having the courtesy to phone. We have yet to receive a phone call, and yet to check our credit card bill.
DEFINITELY not recommended.
(Did this hotel change hands in 2009-ish? Decent reviews in 2009, big gap, terrible reviews in 2011.)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Jolly Brewers Travel Lodge
Jolly Brewers Travel Lodge
#1 of 10 in Bishops Stortford

Been to Woodlands Lodge? Share your experiences!