“Won't be coming back again!”
Review of Woodlands Lodge

Woodlands Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bishops Stortford
Woodlands Lodge
Ripon
“Won't be coming back again!”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We booked for an overnight stay as this was marginally cheaper than others and close to where we needed to be. The building looks quite attractive from the outside but is neglected and shabby on the inside - dirty windows, walls and carpets, my husband sat (carefully) on the bed and it collapsed, the place was fully booked so the manager, who was pleasant enough but totally unconcerned, got him a small folding bed - needless to say he didn't get much sleep!

One of the reasons I chose this place was because breakfast was included, but we ended up spending more by having breakfast at Birchanger services, as we just wanted to get out of the b and b as soon as possible and the breakfast looked rubbish. It was advertised as a 'continental' breakfast but in reality all that was provided were nasty processed ham and cheese slices, cheap sliced white bread and cereals. It just felt like a flophouse for itinerant workers rather than a b and b for travellers, and on reflection I would rather have spent an extra 20 quid and had a decent night's sleep and a proper breakfast somewhere more civilized - but you live and learn!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Skovde, Sweden
Reviewed 12 October 2012

If you are not driving your own car I do not recommend this place. It is advertised as convenient for Stansted Airport, which it is. BUT, I would have paid less in total if I'd stayed in a more expensive B&B a bit closer to the airport as transportation came to more than the cost of the room! No airport shuttle, and their taxi service was more expensive than the taxi I took from the airport! Other than that, pretty average. Really poor breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Bishops Stortford hotels

Sheerness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We used the Lodge as a treat before a long flight from Stanstead. The place is very poorly signposted and looks nothing like the above picture. The room was small but clean with a fairly new bathroom. The bath end panel still had the ripped remnants of its lable stuck to it. Water in the shower was dangerously hot. The bed was uncomfortable to say the least. The mattress was so cheap and thin that as i moved i could feel and hear the metal grinding together within the fabric.The airplane seat was more comfortable. Breakfast was a buffet style do it yourself affair. It was very poor quality. Very cheap and tacky to look at and very poor value. Had to eat breakfast at the airport!!! Overall a poor nights sleep, a poor breakfast and will never return.

Room Tip: Try and get one of the few En-suite rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Salerno, Italy
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I would give four stars but the lack of freshness really puts me off.
The hotel it's not particularly dirty but very tired.
The carpet smells of sigarette smoke and dust.
The shower, as mentioned by other contributors, it's a all or nothing experience. Super cold or super hot.

The breakfast it's served only from 7.30 which is a bit pointless if you have an early flight. You don't miss much though, just cereals, milk, toasts and some cheap jam.

You have a mini fridge in the room that comes quite handy if you a yoghurt addict like I am.
The location it's extremely close to the airport. You could even walk. It's all pavemented and It would take 20 minutes if you are a fast walker. I did it.
Bishops Stortford town it's 2 miles away and it's quite a surprise! There are plenty of restaurants and even an Art Gallery that deserves a visit if you are there for more than a few hours.
The last note is about the noise complained by some guests.
The two double rooms are really close to the road BUT the major noise is caused by the planes taking off. You have double glazing! What else are you expecting?
Finally. would I stay there again? 20 million times YES!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Not the traditional English B & B it looks like, but it was spotlessly clean. I arrived late (- even later than expected having been taken around BS by the Sat Nav which took me to the wrong end of Dunnmow Road) - and left very early so can't comment on the breakfast. In my efforts to find the place I rang them but gave up on the difficult conversation in which the guy didn't understand me and I couldn't understand him. It was cheap and did have an en suite but the plumbing was shocking. I suspect that the shower which was clearly marked 'this must not be connected to the mains' probably had been connected to the mains because it was either scalding hot or freezing cold. I gave up on the idea in the end. It was very convenient for Stanstead..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2012

The location is fine no problem with that although a more visible sign could be useful especially when arriving at night (maybe a light above the sign). It was cheap so I wasn't expecting much but I would've at least like to have had an ensuite bathroom rather than having to share 1 that didn't lock in the corridor (I checked by the way and there was no mention that the bathroom wasn't ensuite on the website. Staff were friendly enough but their knowledge was basic. I was shown to my room but something basic like what time breakfast was got forgotten. I arrived fairly late so I asked where the nearest store was. The best answer I got once I'd convinced him the pub wouldn't still be serving food was turn right and drive for about 7mins (if I'd done that i'd have gone right through the town as it isn't that big! Cleanliness was satisfactory and the bed felt fine although luckily I'm a sound sleeper otherwise the noise from upstairs would've kept me awake (very thin walls and ceiling - all couple take not if you're bothered)

• Stayed July 2012
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
Days Inn London Stansted Airport
#1 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Novotel London Stansted Airport
Novotel London Stansted Airport
#3 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet

Been to Woodlands Lodge? Share your experiences!