“Poor Food”

Three Horseshoes
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Visited the Three horses today for lunch must have changed chefs, my husband had the turkey roast which had two tiny roast pots and very bland veg the gravy was thin and the whole meal was cold and they wasn't very friendly. Will not be going back until things get better.

1  Thank thamesvan .

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Good morning,

As discussed last night on the phone I am extremely sorry for the inconvinience of cancelling your booking last night we are actually still closed today due to flooding. I can only apologise and as discussed last night if you would like to re-book another day we will make sure it is a fantastic experience for you.

Kind Regards
Aaron Porte

We booked a table a couple of Weeks ago and about 5 minutes before we were about to leave home, we received a call cancelling the reservation due to a "burst pipe". The following Day we received the above letter and decided to enjoy our "fantastic experience" another Day. As we had signed up to receive future promotions, we were not surprised to receive a circular offering a free bottle of wine when 2 dine. Yesterday, after a tiring Day driving to London and back, we thought - why not Tonight. I went on line and tried to make a reservation but unfortunately I received a message saying no times were available. WOW!! This place must be fantastic. However I called and was offered a table for myself and my Wife at 8.30pm. We drove to the pub and arrived about 8.15pm and as requested obeyed the usual "Wait Here to be Seated" notice. Fully booked?? The car park had a few cars in it and the pub was practically empty with just a few tables occupied. We waited and waited and eventually a guy "the Manager" - who knows, came and asked our name. I apologised for being a few minutes early and gave him the copy of the letter we had received offering the "fantastic experience". He read it, re read it, turned the page over, saw it was blank, turned it back re read it and after giving it back to me asked that we follow him. He showed us to a very tiny table and we sat down. A short time later a female waitperson (used to be a waitress) gave us 2 enormous pieces of card and 2 tiny pieces of card. The tiny one had the specials, the larger one the Menu. The afore mentioned Waitperson returned to ask if we would like a drink. We ordered a Stella Artois for my wife and I asked what real beers were available. Just one, Adnams. A pub this size with just one real beer?? Amazing. In due course the drinks arrived - no Stella Artois goblets. Evidently not, just a pint glass for my Wife - very odd. I then gave her the free wine voucher and requested White. Little while later she returned to take the order. We ordered, to start, the Devilled Whitebait ( this would have been a completely new taste to my Wife, she is Dominican and has only been here for five Weeks) and to follow two 8oz Sirloin Steaks, 1 medium and one blue, could we have a green salad on the side and just one portion of chips - no. The steaks came with chips but we could have one without chips and one with salad. OK. Meanwhile, I should tell you our little round table was placed in front of the exit and entry swing doors to the kitchen. The exit one had a sprung closure on it which ensured it closed and quietly. The other, the entry door had a spring closure on it but it was either broken or badly adjusted and each time it was used, it slammed shut with an enormous bang. My Wife soon realised it was upsetting to me and begged that I say nothing. A typical no problem Dominican trait. Soon a young girl appeared at our table with 2 Plates. On 1 was a great chunk of meat with a large bone sticking out of it an alongside was a small piece of corn on the cob not sure what was on the other. I declined the offer and said it was not for us. She then progressed to another table where all 5 persons were already eating, and then to another and so on. By this time the banging door behind me had become beyond bearable. I asked this original waitperson if she could do something about the door. She asked if we would like to move to a different table. She then said she needed to get permission from the Manager. She returned and suggested we move to a table (in fact 3 tables lined up together) laid up for six in the corner which was not being used. They made no attempt to remove or even move the the other 2 tables not needed nor did they take away the surplus glasses and cutlery etc. The door continued to bang and now we were sitting right underneath the air conditioning unit blasting cold air just above our heads. No problem we are used to these things having lived in the Caribbean. About 5 minutes later, a male Waitperson appeared with 2 plates - neither had white bait on them. I said we had ordered whitebait as a starter. No problem he said. Here start on the steaks and you can have the white bait later. No, no, cancel the whitebait. Ok he said who wants the one with chips? Do they have no system of recording who is going to eat what? I indicated it was for my Wife. He placed the 2 plates on the table. On each was a very small thin piece of steak which I doubt weighed more than 6 ounces when raw. My plate had a bowl of tomatoes, rocket, a small piece of red onion and possibly another piece of lettuce but indecipherable as it was all smothered in salad cream - this is a green salad. I expected to get the dressing separately. Half way through eating the steak, the original female wait person returned with a cool bucket containing the bottle of unopened wine. She neither opened it nor poured any into our glasses. She went on to assure us that even though we did not get to eat the whitebait, we would not be charged for it. Big Deal. Did she really think I would pay? We then went on to order the creme brûlée and a chocolate fudge cake served hot or cold, I requested hot. When it arrived it was presented on a freezing cold plate and yet the cake had been zapped in a micro wave to crispness. So that was our "FANTASTIC EXPERIENCE". All £42.54 of it.

5  Thank avocadolibrian
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Had pork belly but hardly any pork mainly fat on a bed of supposed to be mash but was definitely instant potato so very disappointing for a £12 meal. Service slow and very impolite. When mentioned to the waitress that we thought it was instant mash she said she would check with the chef but didn't bother coming back which to me confirmed that it was instant mash. Other meals in our group seemed fine.

1  Thank SteveHarper73
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I chose a sharing platter and a baked Camembert to share. Very well presented and plenty of variety - a good supper choice if you're hungry but fancy something different. The pub was very busy when we went - 8 o'clock on a Friday night. We queued for quite a while to place our order and buy drinks at the bar - only 2 staff and unsure how to operate the till - but the food arrived quite quickly once we'd placed the order. Overall friendly staff and nice atmosphere in the bar area. Not a gourmet meal but tasty, filling food.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have been to this pub to celebrate a birthday, it's fantastic! Lovely place! with the possibility of also tables outside, great food, excellent service, and I recommend their lemon cheesecake tasted anything as good! I can not wait to go back!