“Very nice”

Lancaster's Guest House
London, United Kingdom
“Very nice”
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed here for just one night as I had a job interview in Bishops Stortford in the morning. Had a twin room with ensuite bathroom which was lovely - I particularly liked the wooden beams in the room which gave it a rustic feel. Mini-fridge was stocked with milk, yogurts, cereal bars and water, and there was also cereal and tea/coffee in the room for breakfast. Location very central - about 10 mins away from the station.
The main bad point was noise - I stayed on Friday night so could hear people outside the bars etc next door (maybe they should invest in double glazing?), although this did die down by about midnight/1am. Also the rooms are very close together, so you can hear people in the corridor outside and in their rooms (especially as there are wooden floors). The owners don't stay there themselves - there was someone there to check me in (they had phoned to ask me what time I'd be arriving), who then left soon afterwards. So basically there is no one from the hotel there during the night, which made me feel a bit uneasy in case something were to happen. However, it suited its purpose for one night and I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank R T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at Lancaster's for a whole week to visit family in Bishop's Stortford and in the owners of Lancaster's we found another family - caring and warm they made our stay perfect. Thank you so much. It was clean and it was comfortable - we will certainly go there again - good value for money and very central. We had the room with the ensuite.

Room Tip: We had the room with the ensuite - therefore the review applies to that.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Denmark
Reviewed 11 May 2012

After booking 2 ensuite rooms in good time(3 months in advance) at the Lancaster's Guest House for my family of 4, just TWO HOURS BEFORE due to arrive, the assumed proprietor called us on our mobile to say ther was a problem with the electrics and we were unable to stay at the Lancaster but had booked us 2 rooms at a hotel nearby.
After arriving and checkin in at the George Hotel(dreadful-read my other review) I decided to walk around th corner to the Lancaster and have a chat to see what had happened.. only to be met by a team of workers that have completely Gutted the Building ready for renovation into flats, that have been sold on.
It would have been nice to get a phone call at least a week earlier so I could of booked a new place to stay of my own choice "Not happy at all"

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank 7ripadvisor

Travellers are raving about these Bishops Stortford hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Dirty, cold, and in serious need of some TLC, Lancasters Guest House is hugely disappointing. Add to that the rudeness of the owner and you have a very sad, and badly run business. I have stayed at Youth Hostels that are more comfortable. Beware of being given the 'flat' to stay in.....the occupants above have wooden floors and young children..the bath was full of hair, the toilet dirty, and the floors not swept/hoovered. Cash only payments..I wonder why?

Room Tip: If you have to stay there - ask for an en suite in the main building and take warm clothing
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Deborah C
Reviewed 19 November 2011

My girlfriends and I met for lunch today at lancasters. The first thing that we noticed was how sticky the table was (our teapots took some force to unstick from the table). The young waitresses were very rude and unhelpful. When I asked what was in one of the salads she shrugged and gave me a description very unlike what I actually received. My friend was given a cheddar cheese jacket potato rather than Brie and pesto and my other friend received cheesy wedges when she asked for plain wedges. The waitress was not at all apologetic and had a 'what do you expect me to do' kind of attitude. Plain wedges were then put on the table without an apology. When it came to paying my friend asked how much the wedges were and a lady that I believe to have been the owner said '£2.95- but I could charge you more' in a very rude and sarcastic manner. I am not one to ever complain about an establishment but this over priced cafe really disappointed me!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank char10t_89
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We had a party to attend at a club very near by so it suited us perfectly. It was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly. I wouldn't rave about it but I can't think of anything bad to say either. A good place to stop if you want a central location.

Room Tip: We had the en suite room which was very comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Lovely old house & rooms but contrary to printed information only half the rooms have en suite bathrooms. I had to share with a Spanish couple who used the bathroom continually first thing in the morning so I couldn't go to the toilet, then left their room door open so they could stare at me going to & from the bathroom! Not very nice. There were no hairdryers or fans in the rooms, or fridge as stated on website. The shared bathroom sink is too small to refill the full-sizes kettle in my room, so I had to use the shower.

• Stayed October 2011
Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
#3 of 10 in Bishops Stortford
Grange Guest House
Grange Guest House
#2 of 10 in Bishops Stortford

Been to Lancaster's Guest House? Share your experiences!