“Not for a single female traveller!”

Lancaster's Guest House
Maidenhead, Berkshire
“Not for a single female traveller!”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed at the Lancaster Guest House for 1 night on a business trip. It was very difficult to find the entrance to the B & B as it was around the corner from the tea shop in the photo above next to a dark car park. I had to phone the owner as nobody was in when I tried to check in. The owner arrived shortly afterwards and showed me to a lovely clean and comfortable room. There are 3 or 4 other rooms on the floor and they were occupied by a very noisy Spanish family. As the owner does not stay at the B&B I was glad for the family as I would have felt scared with just another male guest on the premise
Going out at night was also a bit scary. The public toilets are just around the corner from the B&B and the streets were empty at 6.00pm already . There are many restaurants nearby but the entrance to the hotel is unsafe.
The other disappointment was the fact that there is no breakfast. There is milk and cerebrals provided and when I asked the owner if that was all he went out and bought me bread rolls and cheese but for a £50.00 fee I did expect a nice cooked breakfast and it would be very easy for the owner to come to some arrangement with the cafe beneath to provide guests with an decent breakfast.
I personally would not stay here again but it might suit a couple or a family on the way to Stansted airport.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Songbird1954

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay in bishops stortford as it was cheaper than getting a taxi home. Checked in to the lancaster, the room was large clean and tidy you couldn't ask for much more than that. Great location in the centre to bishops stortford. The only downside is no cooked breakfast as I would have given it 5 stars. Maybe included breakfast downstairs in the tea rooms.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

I read the unfair comment that it had been sold off as flats ! Obviously not , David was more than willing to help with all of my requests as I was working nights so serviced my room of an evening even tho I was alone in the double he still left me two of everything yoghurts biscuits etc very nice period building great location , secure parking and even tho it's above a lovely tea room still quiet and staff super quiet when servicing other rooms during the day when I was sleeping
All in all really nice I will return for a weekend break with the missus
Thanks for a lovely stay

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ponce Inlet, Florida, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Lancasters Guest House is very basic and lacking amenities. The rooms were small and up steep narrow stairs. on a scale of 1 to 5 I would give them a 2.
The town of Bishops Stortford is very quaint with some nice pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bishops Stortford hotels

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Ignore all the 2011/early 2012 reviews for the Lancaster's Guest House; it's not at all how they suggest now.
My partner and i spent 2 lovely nights here in the middle of Feb half term and certainly hope to go back.
Our clean comfy nicely decorated room had everything we needed, a fully stocked fridge, tea coffee and hot chocolate making facilities, hair dryer, shower room, nice bed with two pillows each (I hate only having one) access to an iron, tele with freeview and a continental breakfast was included in the price and I was so pleased and very grateful to have my gluten intolerance catered for at no extra cost, owners went over and above to cater for me, very much appreciated.
Staff as mentioned below were rarely seen but when we did meet were very helpful and friendly. We were able to come and go as we pleased and that suited us just fine.
Good central location, close to the station and town facilities.
My only problem was people slamming the front door early in the morning when leaving and entering the building as it was very hard to close quitely.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lucyface_x
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed here for just one night as I had a job interview in Bishops Stortford in the morning. Had a twin room with ensuite bathroom which was lovely - I particularly liked the wooden beams in the room which gave it a rustic feel. Mini-fridge was stocked with milk, yogurts, cereal bars and water, and there was also cereal and tea/coffee in the room for breakfast. Location very central - about 10 mins away from the station.
The main bad point was noise - I stayed on Friday night so could hear people outside the bars etc next door (maybe they should invest in double glazing?), although this did die down by about midnight/1am. Also the rooms are very close together, so you can hear people in the corridor outside and in their rooms (especially as there are wooden floors). The owners don't stay there themselves - there was someone there to check me in (they had phoned to ask me what time I'd be arriving), who then left soon afterwards. So basically there is no one from the hotel there during the night, which made me feel a bit uneasy in case something were to happen. However, it suited its purpose for one night and I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank R T
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed at Lancaster's for a whole week to visit family in Bishop's Stortford and in the owners of Lancaster's we found another family - caring and warm they made our stay perfect. Thank you so much. It was clean and it was comfortable - we will certainly go there again - good value for money and very central. We had the room with the ensuite.

Room Tip: We had the room with the ensuite - therefore the review applies to that.