“A good wayside Inn”

The Beautiful Ugley Chequers
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
ely
“A good wayside Inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were going walking (and yes that part of Essex is superb for walking). Having enjoyed the bluebell wood we were hungry, and were not disappointed; the menu is basic but good, but the service is mercurially fast, the staff friendly and it is a straight up and down nice local pub. We both had ham and eggs, and it was delicious with a gigantic portion of ham, and nice fresh home made chips.

My only criticism is that they are their own worst enemy; from the road the pub looks quite unappealling ( there was a broken window, and the rest was drab and unwashed - an uphill struggle because of the road, but first impressions count) . The overflow car park was a graveyard of unfinished projects that was crying out to be remodelled and a decent beer garden constructed. But no matter- look beyond this and you find a nice straightforward watering hole.

• Visited April 2014

Hertfordshire
“No longer a Great pub”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Hi,
I have been coming to this pub for over 10 years with my family. We have just returned from our annual Good Friday family meal and we were all very disappointed with the food, the portions and service. As it was Good Friday we all decided to have fish i.e. rock eel, seafood platter, skate and cod but unfortunately all the meals had issues. My wife’s cod was over cooked and the sauce was horrible and the rock eels size were very small. I’m not sure what’s changed but the service was also poor. Not one person asked us if us meal was OK until we had left our table and I went up to the bar to pay. I have been back to this pub three times since my last review in December and I have noticed that the pub has definitely gone downhill. On one of my previous visits I had to complain about the steak as it was awful. Based on the fact that I’ve had two made experiences out of my last three visits, I will not be returning again and I can no longer recommend this pub as a “great” pub.
Gabriele O

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Gabriele42
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“Nice food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We stopped here for a late lunch today. The food was nice and the portions large. We enjoyed the collection of pictures on the walls. I'll be happy to stop there again.

1 Thank mgorecki
Clavering, United Kingdom
“Sorry we wont go back..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

My wife and I and our two sons drive past the chequers all the time and wondered what it was like...we tried it last week and was very disappointed..sadly we will not be going back. We both had the flattest and worst cooked fillet steaks we have ever tasted and even my sons chicken nuggets were over cooked. On the plus side, if the food was cooked correctly the value would have been ok at gbp18.00 pounds for each steak, they were good to cater to our sons requests on their side orders and served a very nice pint of Bombardier..

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Chkel01
Hertfordshire
“Great, Great, Great !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Hi,
I have been coming to this pub for years with my family even though I live 40 minutes away. This pub is located in a lovely area and continues to be a great pub. The staff are always welcoming, the food is always delicious and the prices are very reasonable. I would recommend this pub to anyone who wants a friendly pub, with a great menu choice (especially if you like fish) and is looking for value for money within charming surroundings.
Gabriele O