“very nice”

Price range: US$0 - US$42
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A rustic hideaway in picturesque Bishop's Stortford, Il Giardino Di Stortford is a family-run Italian restaurant. Filled with rustic beams and a crackling open fire, the cosy dining room is reminiscent of a quaint, continental bistro. The diverse Il Giardino menu features a range of sumptuous antipasti, meats and fish.
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I had dinner at this lovely Italian family run business I found the service impeccable . I was very satisfied with food and the quality .I found it very clean and modern and a nice relaxing environment to be in the staff couldn't do enough for you . I do have one small complaint ,that there could be more choice on the menu as it did find it hard to choose but I ordered sea food spaghetti and was very happy with it I would of expected maybe some simpler dishes for the fussy eaters .. but overall very good I will be coming back .

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Having had some excellent meals here over the past few years, my father decided to hold his 80th birthday celebration at Il Giardino's and they did not let us down. As well as the wonderful food, cooked well from great ingredients, the staff were their usual very friendly selves with excellent service. They catered very well for the 30+ guests and couldn't do more to help us celebrate in good style, including making room for a jazz band and looking after them.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Had a fantastic dinner last night with great wine. The food was excellently presented and the portions were great especially for 3 big grown men. Well done on turning this restaurant around. It is nice having a good quality restaurant to go to again. Thank you.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We visited here (for the second time) on New Year's Eve. Four of us enjoyed what I can only describe as first class service, great food and some fine wine ( as recommended by our very genial host)

Although it was a set menu due to the date, the choice was sufficient to keep all happy. The seafood soup ( my starter) was superb, my main of monkfish in a prawn sauce was delicious. The profiteroles were not the best but, wife's creme brûlée was a hit.

An incredibly friendly and fun waiting staff made the evening a real pleasure. Despite other restaurants in the area wanting to charge crazy prices for a New Year's Eve get together, il Giardino, was a very fair and realistic price. Well done to them.

We all agreed that this venue will be visited more often in 2014

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked for New Year's Eve at pretty much the last minute and I admit I wondered if we had made a mistake because they had a table for 2 available at the time we wanted but it was not a mistake and we had an excellent dinner.
We arrived half an hour early, our fault, hubby had got the time wrong, but it was no problem and we were seated straight away, which suited us fine. We chose to have the set NYE menu, which was 4 courses with canapés and a glass of prosecco.
I usually struggle to eat 2 courses but by not quite finishing my starter, which was a huge buffalo tomato stuffed with crayfish & crab, I managed to eat almost all of my main, which was a delightful pumpkin ravioli. I also managed to eat my desert, a crème brulee and we finished with coffee and limoncello, which was 'one the house'.
My hubby had the seafood soup, which was delicious, followed by monkfish with lobster, new potatoes and veg and ended with a tiramisu, which he said was the best he'd had in ages, really light and tasty.
The wine list for white wine wasn't huge, but we had a bottle of wine we'd never had before and it was gorgeous and not overly priced.
The restaurant was pretty empty when we arrived but quickly filled up which created a really nice 'buzzy' atmosphere. The tables were really nicely decorated, the service was excellent and overall, we had an excellent meal.
We had been fairly regular visitors a few years ago but hadn't been here for a very long time but we can't remember why we hadn't been. We will definitely return and would recommend.