“A place to try new food!!”
Review of Belgique Bishops Stortford - CLOSED

Belgique Bishops Stortford
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“A place to try new food!!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Pleasantly surprised with the taste inequality of the food and sweets available. a bit pricy but well worth it.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Yabel21

Wormley, Hertfordshire
“Lovely!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Really tasty food, great service but lacking in atmosphere because the place is huge and it was almost empty.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank jenewson
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“A bit on the pricey side”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My husband and I went for a nice little meal at Belgique. It was lovely to order lots of new things we hadn't tried before (or eaten in a long time). Sadly the Alaskan King Crab wasn't heated properly - cold through the middle. We ordered half a dozen dishes including the cheeks. The best thing by far were the little chicken wings and the platter of smoked meat including Iberico ham. Delicious, but not rocket science. It wasn't the most romantic place in the world though - at 7pm, the glaring orange and weird lighting was a bit much. Drinks were very expensive, but it was nice for a change.

• Visited August 2013
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Belgique Niet dank u”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

So...seven of us thought we would try this restaurants lunch time Belgian inspired tapas style dishes.

Agreed we booked at short notice on a sunny Sunday afternoon and surprisingly got a reservation straight away.

We arrived and immediately felt slightly uneasy about the lack of ambiance...we found that the high concrete walls tended to bounce every sound back in many directions and this was just uncomfortable.

Having ordered our drinks one was left off the order when it eventually arrived and it took 10 minutes to gain any attention and get the waiter to rectify the omission...it being 40 % full and all the staff being obviously "very busy"

As an aside the starting prices for 330 cl beers @ £3.80 does make one feel somewhat "taken for a ride"

The orders did arrive (cooked to order) as explained in a very piecemeal service in a "sharing tapas sort of way"...it would not have taken much intelligence to realise that the first batch of 3 dishes was ordered by one member of our party. He had almost finished before the next batch arrived.

We had a mixture of "Bapas" and as the dishes arrived (cooked to order) two of our lady guest had ordered the same mushroom meal one was vaguely warm the other distinctly cool...this one went back...not to be replaced. The quality of the food was generally poor for instance...stringy bottled white asparagus and some disgusting tasteless reconstituted egg material, uncooked mushroom with melted cheese, fairly uninspired singed "Limousin fillet" in itself almost acceptable but served with a strange unpalatable jus that I guess had survived the whole lunchtime session and was proceeding towards disintegration as a addition to anything.

The trio of croquettes arrived in an unusual manner the two simple cheese options were vaguely warm but again uninspired, however, the shrimp option exploded at a magma like temperature as soon as the breadcrumb surface was broken...it also just tasted nasty once the heat level had reached human tolerance.

Fairly early on, I did notice that the warning signs we there, so I explained my concerned to the waiter. It was recognised that service was failing and they agreed to rectify this. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" and as in this case those intention were sadly not achieved.

Downsides
Poor food
Poor turnaround time (1 hour 45 minutes)
Lack of concentration on the client.
Bad detail
The cook (not a chef) needs to brush up on their "freshly cooked" microwave techniques

Please try to make it roughly at constant heat level.

Upsides
Freitjes were good but mayo needs attention
Desserts were very attractive but some lacked flavour in any concentration.

All members of my party left Begique disappointed and unsatisfied.

You may ask why we did not complain...I ask myself the same thing...It felt so overwhelmingly poor that it just was not worth the effort.

For Belgique to get it this wrong takes an effort above and beyond!

We will not be going back

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Disgusting priced drinks”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have always been a big fan of this venue but recently they keep changing the venue with some good treats missing. I went there this evening for drinks as they now have draught beers but it was £7.60 a pint which explains why it is empty on a Saturday night, I had reserved a table for dinner next Saturday but once I saw the bill I cancelled this. It is such a shame as I still like it as a daytime venue but with JD Weatherspoons opening early next year it is sad to say unless they get competitive I dont think Belgique will be around for much longer...

Dont order the beer but coffee and cakes are excellent.

• Visited September 2013