“Manager/staff are some of the rudest people I have ever met....” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Star

The Star
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
London, United Kingdom
“Manager/staff are some of the rudest people I have ever met....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

A friend and me visited this pub on 12th of July 2014. My friend bought 2 pints. I had a pint of lager and he had a pint of ale. His pint of ale tasted like vinegar so I took it to the bar to change it or get a refund. When I asked the bar man he tried the pint and said it tasted fine, it didn't. When I asked to change it he said he had to speak to his manager. He returned to say "Sorry the manager has been serving these all day there is nothing wrong with it". I'm a seasoned beer drinker and I was very insulted by this but thought shouldn't argue so left it at that. I told my friend, no go on the refund or exchange so he went to the bar to try change it, this is where the fun begins.... The manager finally came down to speak to us, she refused to even taste the beer accusing us of drugging the beer or getting the beer from another pub... I have never been so insulted at both accusations, what planet is this person living on! They have bouncers on the door for a start and who the hell sneaks beer into a pub! She basically pulled samples of all the ales and said sorry this isn't from my pub. Terrible, terrible service. She wouldn't even give us a refund and was totally convinced the beer wasn't from her pub, the barman who served us the beer just stood there doing nothing. It's a great shame because this used to be my favourite pub in town; it's an old quirky pub usually with quite a good atmosphere. Sadly after around a half hour debate we never got a refund or an exchange and I had to buy my friend a beer. I still cannot believe we were accused of drugging or sneaking in beer from another pub; this kind of customer service is unheard of, especially over a pint.... Just give me a refund at least, and please do not accuse me of using drugs. I doubt you care because you are so arrogant, but I will no longer be a customer.

• Visited July 2014
12 Thank igotmy9milli

• Greek first
Johannesburg
“Awesome Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Now here is a little jewel. Lots of character, friendly people and awesomme pub grub!! will recommend it anytime to anyone.

Visited October 2013
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“Very very good. Despite the other reviews!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Just happened to walk past the Star today and all four of us were feeling hungry. Three of us ordered the Hunters Chicken and I had the fish&chips. The total cost was £16 for four meals. I don't mind paying a lot more than that for a good meal but the food was excellent for the cost. The staff were really attentive. I even saw a waitress cleaning all the menus the place was really clean. Well done the staff!! Definitely would return again.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Great value good food, good selection of drinks.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

This is a fine little pub. The staff were very attentive, the 2 for 8 meals are a great deal considering their quality (think wetherspoons).

A good selection of drinks, a couple of ales and a classic cloudy cider were available as well as a nice rare lager.

We had the hunters chicken on the 2 for 8 and a fish and chips (not on the 2 for 8 but great value c.£8 including a drink). All our party was satisfied with their food.

Overall a fine experience, I'm suprised by the low average and think the other reviews are very emotive and unfair.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Would not recommend”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Went on a bank holiday Monday for food and drinks, not busy at all, no atmosphere. Three behind the bar, ordered food and drinks. Drinks overpriced, food was originally going to be half an hours wait. We waited an hour and a half. When it did arrive the first time it was the wrong order, when they finally got it right it was edible, but not great. Wetherspoons make more of an effort. Service by the staff was poor to say the least, noone checked to see how our fooddidn't appear to be a manager on duty, or at least no one who acted like a manager, and the staff were free to smoke in the pub garden and play on their smart phones to their hearts content (which is what they did most of the time we were there). Wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy.

• Visited May 2013