“Oh god lord........DO NOT STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
herts
“Oh god lord........DO NOT STAY HERE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

staff cannot speak english, everything dirty, stuck in 1950 ro some other wierd era. I thought they had a refurb which is why I stayed. No breakfast. Instead I went to The Bridge Cafe which is a disgusting greasy spoon cafe, so suprise there. The club opposite was so noisy I may aswell have been in there. I was so exhausted the nextday. Absolute torture. I am never staying here again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank sarah j

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed here while going to the olympics in Chesunt.As the other reviewers have said it is extremely noisy..Staff very poor..Bedding for the entire hotel probably cost under £10 ! The noise from the nightclub across the road was unbelievable and didnt stop until 3.30pm by the time everybody went home.. Then if you did manage to doze off the nightclubs empties were collected around 6.30am which sounded like an earthquake!
Was woken at 6am on thursday by a guy in a cockney accent shouting "2 strawberries 3 pound" he shouted this every 5 minutes until we left the hotel at 10 !
Promised WiFi in public areas was non existant
The most worrying thing that happened during our stay was that even though we paid on a hotel booking site the staff member (very poor english) insisted on writing down all of my credit card details on a sheet of paper for some reason.Where is this piece of paper now? No sign of anybody to ask when we checked out .we waited and rang the reception bell for 30 minutes and nobody came.
I've already been in contact with my card company about this and they were not impressed !
Overall there is nothing nice I can say about this "Hotel"
DO NOT STAY HERE !!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here
Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank douggym

Travellers are raving about these Bishops Stortford hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Every minute of my stay here was an utter disaster, I wouldn't wish the rude, incompetent staff whose lack of basic english, and the noisy surroundings from the local bar/nightclub-very inconvenient for a person such as myself frequently working nightshifts at Stansted, almost impossible to get a decent nights sleep.
Upon arrival, I was ignored several times and had to wait for one particularly incompetent member of staff to finish her personal telephone conversation before I was finally acknowledged and even then, it was extremely difficult and frustrating to communicate with her as she hardly understood a word of English, nor did the man she was working with. Throughout my stay, my room was not cleaned once, despite me requesting it on multiple occasions, whilst I was working my personal possessions were moved by the staff and I came home from work to find my room occupied by a couple and my possessions disappeared. I also had the inconvenience of being moved into another hotel the day before an early morning flight, the staff promised to bring my luggage from the other hotel back to the George first thing the next morning. I returned at 4pm to find my possessions still at the hotel and the staff claimed to have "forgotten" to bring it all back and despite my requests for them to immediately give me back my possessions as promised, it was 9pm by the time I finally got everything back. I tried complaining but the staff didn't understand a word I was saying! There is NO excuse for this sort of treatment whatsoever, I could go on and on with more things that are imminently wrong with this hotel! As far as I'm concerned, the staff who dealt with me, a woman and a man deserve instant dismissal.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Steven D
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

Similar experience to almost all other reviewers. Amateurish staff who have to be summoned if needed. Breakfast not on premises but at local greasy spoon (and I mean greasy). Noisy, so NOISY, at night (local kids: don't they have school/work to go to on Friday morning? don't they have PARENTS?) I could go on..........

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank joking333_12
Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is a hotel that you should avoid at all costs should you wish to have a good night sleep, (dated uncomfortable Beds) much street noise due to old sash windows. Not a hotel I would ever recommend to anyone. Steep stairs which were not lit. bad lighting in the rooms. dirty bathrooms broken toilet seat.
These very small rooms and overpriced and uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank 7ripadvisor
Bishops Stortford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is a dreadful hotel, No bottled water. Kettle was full of someone else's used water, but there were two glass beakers which I could fill from the bathroom tap. Kettle didn't fit under the tap in the bath room, to refill anyway. The bed was on a slope which meant I slid to one side all night. The noise from the surrounding restaurants woke me up. I had a double room with one towel! Polised tiles in bathroom meant I was careful getting out. Not a hotel I would ever recommend to anyone. Steep stairs which were not lit. The room was cold and the bed was not comfortable. Pillows were not clean underneath the covers and there were no extra pillows or blankets. Huge gap between the sash windows! On checking out whilst waiting for a cab I was watched!!!! Made to feel like a burglar!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Silvera_12
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

So much noise
in the very centre of town if you like that sort of thing
I found better much quieter location only 5 minute walk from centre of town

Ramada London Stansted Airport
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,360 reviews
Hilton London Stansted Airport
Hilton London Stansted Airport
#3 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,073 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Air...
#4 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,920 reviews
Little Hallingbury Mill
Little Hallingbury Mill
#1 of 1 in Little Hallingbury

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!