“Business trip”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Reviewed 20 June 2014

On business trip and stayed in this hotel.
Quite simply it is awful.
It seems to be used for long term accommodation i.e. people receive their mail there.
Basically a doss-house.
And I paid in advance £65 per night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DanViewTrip

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked 2 rooms at the George Hotel through Booking.com and was told ON THE DAY OF CHECK-IN that the rooms were no longer available. When I called the hotel the staff were very unhelpful. The manager, Rubin, then said I would have to arrange my own alternative accommodation and refused to pay for the additional travel expenses incurred as a result of their failure to provide me with the rooms requested. DON'T EXPECT A ROOM RESERVED EVEN IF THEY ASSURE YOU THAT YOU HAVE ONE.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick S
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Booked to stay at The George as attending a party in Central Bishop's Stortford - worst hotel experience ever! The room left a lot to be desired, small and poorly designed with mould on the ceiling and shower tray. I accepted this but when it was time to go to bed I discovered the bed was actually broken and one side slanted downwards. I was then woken up twice by next doors shower going which sounded like a kettle on full boil in the room. The icing on the cake though was when it started to rain outside and water began dripping from the ceiling onto the bedside table, splashing the bed in the process! To be fair they did give me a full refund but I would not choose to stay here for free again...let alone pay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed here for a weekend on business. The hotel had been booked for a group of us via our office and, to be honest, I was wary after reading reviews on here. However, bearing in mind that this is a basic hotel, I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of accommodation and service. I assume there has been a recent refit or at least redecoration, as the carpets looked new and there was a smell of fresh paint in the lobby.

The staff member we met at check-in and again at breakfast time was friendly, and there was no problem for one of our party changing room.

Granted it's not a luxurious experience, but for a basic hotel it has a good location and my room at least was comfortable and warm. It's a bit tatty, but I have stayed in far worse places charging far more money: if you're here for a short work trip I really can't see anything to worry about.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Brother T
Reviewed 29 October 2013

It really is exactly like every 1* review says. Stayed on business for two nights. The idea you would come here with your wife or family is beyond belief.

Noisy (especially from the club over road every night), dirty, uncomfortable - but worse still a very unpleasant atmosphere... The only other residents I ever saw were groups of surly builders, either hanging around smoking outside or banging around in the rooms till 4am (what they were all doing i will never now).But those walls are incredibly thin.

Bathroom ok, bed and bedding incredibly cheap and tired.

I have stayed in many budget hotels in various parts of the country, but have never been so relieved to check out.

Wheres the wifi? - non-existant
Wheres the breakfast? - down the road
Wheres the soundproofing? - non-existant
Wheres the staff? - almost non-existant. There when you want to checin, but never seen again.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel might be quieter than the street sides. Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Bob F
Reviewed 25 September 2013

excellent value for money in London. Staff very welcoming and helpful. Restaurants and pubs nearby .Bathroom sharing wasn't a problem. Room was at the back of the hotel and was very quiet.Great nights sleep

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank 814lizzy13
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Dirty can never be forgiven in a hotel. Dirty carpet, dirty furniture with coffee marks, dirty bathroom floor, and I confess I had a good look at the bedsheets before I got in.

Smelly. Poorly lit. Noisy. Cheap mattress. TV broken. Poor check in service.

Shall I continue? No wifi. Grubby walls. Poorly lit.

Did I mention smelly?

To be frank, I would have prefered to sleep in my car.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Little Hallingbury Mill
Little Hallingbury Mill
#1 of 1 in Little Hallingbury
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!