“Nothing too much trouble” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grange Guest House

Grange Guest House
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Nothing too much trouble”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I couldn't find a nice hotel in central Bishop's Stortford, but TripAdvisor reviews suggested that this B&B was worth a try. It was a lovely quirky alternative to a bland hotel room. There was a warm welcome and helpful advice for getting into town. Paulette was still awake when I returned late and poured me a glass of water to take to bed, and I enjoyed a very comfy night's sleep.
Breakfast was chambre d'hôte style with the other guests, which made a nice change from breakfasting alone, and the scrambled eggs were excellent.
But the nicest surprise was to receive a phone call a couple of hours after I'd checked out to tell me I'd left behind my mobile charger. "Don't worry," said Peter, "We'll post it to you."
You don't get that level of service in a travel lodge!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at Grange guest whilst visiting family in the area. We can't speak highly enough about our experience. We had a lovely en-suite room on the top floor with an extremely comfy bed. Breakfast was a very different experience everyone seated round a large table which made for a very friendly atmosphere and the breakfast menu was excellent with a good range of choices.Finally our hosts Paulette and Peter were very welcoming always a cheerful smile. We will certainly be making a return visit in the future as we travel by train and the property is located close to the Railway station also Stortford town centre

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mav17
uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

This is simply the best place to stay in Stortford. Its a hidden gem run by the very friendly Paulette an Peter who are excellent hosts. A good central location in a quiet residential area handy for town and the airport.Very comfortable beds very clean and very artisic decoration witg original artwork fron the owners and their talented family.
The ensuite room is compact but has everything you need and the rooms without ensuite are also excellent. Do not be put off by the thought of a shared bathroom as it is imaculate and spotless.
Breakfast is excellent with home cooked local freerange food. Paulette is very accomodating serving breakfast to order even outside the usual times.
We often stay in Stortford for family and work and this is a regular stop. I cant recommend this enough. Oh and the three legged cat is just adorable!.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Villeneuve-sur-Lot, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

I arrived at the house at around 5pm for a night and had to take another plane the next morning at London Stansted. The place was very easy to find, because ideally situated close to the railway station. I met Paulette, which is a very nice person. Her cats are cute, too !
The single room was maybe a bit small but very ok and enough for me, there were tea facilities and tv, and the bed was really comfy. I slept really well and even though I could slightly hear the planes because of Stansted airport situated nearby, it didn't bother me at all at night.
If I'd like to be picky I'd say that the bathroom could be cleanier, but it was still acceptable.

Maybe it could be a bit cheaper for the size of the room and the view from the window (either the wall or the neighbour's window), but I guess it's London prices.

Too bad I left too early, so I didn't have a chance to taste Paulette's mouth-watering full English breakfast !

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

Found this little gem on a last minute booking site. It is ran by a lovely couple and we felt very welcomed by them. The double room we stayed in at the top of the house nice an clean with its own shower room. Tea making in room factilities in the room and a small TV. Bed was very comfortable and breakfast very good too. The only negative was the bathroom towels were a bit hard, they needed to be placed in a dryer to fluff them up. All in all would definately book there again if we are to stay in Bishops Stortford, I'll just take my own towels.

Room Tip: Ask for the double ensuite room at the top of house
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

What a lovely find. A gorgeous house in a very handy location.
The room was beautiful we were on the top floor and slept under a sky light. The bathroom had a huge shower.
If I had a house it would be just like this. Lovely fresh breakfast would recommend.

• Stayed January 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I only stayed at Grange Guest House for one night, but it was a very pleasant stay. The room I stayed in had books and ornaments, making it a lot nicer than some of the plain rooms with no personality that some B & Bs offer. The shower was good, as was the breakfast (nice selection, and good quality items). Paulette was very helpful, offering directions and suggestions, and she encouraged me to go to a local Indian restaurant, which turned out to be very good. I would definitely stay here again if I were in Bishop's Stortford.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Ramada London Stansted Airport
#2 of 3 in Bishops Stortford
Travelodge Stansted Bishops Stortford Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airport Hotel
Premier Inn London Stansted Airp...
#1 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,275 reviews
Little Hallingbury Mill
Little Hallingbury Mill
#1 of 1 in Little Hallingbury
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stanst...
#2 of 4 in Stansted Mountfitchet
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,057 reviews

Been to Grange Guest House? Share your experiences!