“Comfortable and Convenient”

The Mendip Gate Guest House
Ranked #2 of 7 Churchill B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My second stay at this B&B on the way to/from Bristol Airport. Convenient for the airport and also 2 pubs nearby for meals, although the food in both pubs is average. However, the breakfast at Mendip Gate is excellent. Clean and comfortable and convenient location. I used their online booking procedure this time and it went without a hitch. Nice friendly owners and greeted with a welcoming cup of tea.

Will definately stay again.

One minor gripe ? There didn't seem to be any heating on in the morning until 7.00am - a little surprising for an airport B&B, with I would guess lots of early starts - including me

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank richard2112
Advisor55, Owner at The Mendip Gate Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a response after your recent stay at The Mendip Gate Guest House. It was a pleasure to see you once again. I am thrilled that your breakfast showed the effort that was put into preparing it individually. I can only apologise for the lateness of the heating - after a short spell of the electric being turned off for repairs, the timing clock needed re-adjusting. I very much look forward to welcoming you again during your next visit South.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We always try to stay at the Mendip Gate if flying from Bristol.

It is a lovely building, kept spotlessly clean and immaculately-decorated. It is friendly, extremely comfortable, and has two good pubs nearby serving quality food and drink.It is difficult to see what more anyone could want.

The road noise has never been an issue for us and I think we have now slept in every room at various times.

All in all a great way to start a holiday if flying from Bristol. Why bother with all the hassle of airport parking when they will drop you at the terminal and pick you up?

Steve Brown

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SteveBrownWoolacombe
Reviewed 3 April 2011

After traveling down from Liverpool we were pleased to find the guest house easily and with off road parking right next to it for ease of shuffling luggage.

The host was very welcoming when we arrived; showing us our room straight away and delivering a coffee within 5 minutes of us being there which was most welcome after the drive. The room was very clean and spacious, warming up extremely quickly once the heating had kicked in (at about 4pm).

There was a little bit of traffic noise but this dwindled as the night wore on - it certainly did not prevent us from sleeping! The bed was very comfy and the bathroom had a large bath to which very hot water was piped without it going cold before the bath was full.

The host was very friendly and gracious, allowing my wife to sit in the lounge area into early afternoon as I sat an exam at the veterinary school.

Breakfast was nice and relaxed - our only issue was they had no jam for sale!

All in all we would recommend this guest house to any one who is staying in the area. if needs arise, we would certainly book here again.

Thanks to Sarah and Paul, much obliged.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I had to come here in December as my flight was the next day but the overnight snow forecast was bad so decided to make the trip the day before (flying from Bristol I would not normally need a stopover as I only live in N Devon).

It is really conveniently located so close to the airport. I had already booked my airport parking, otherwise I would have used the service offered by this guesthouse.

They did a good job as I had only booked about 4 hours before I actually arrived! A nice welcome and a great room, loved the National Geographic magazines as I am a subscriber myself! Really nice and warm, and a nifty little shower in the corner behind the curtain. And a lovely breakfast in the morning which kept me full through the whole day of travelling.

Overall no complaints whatsoever, very happy. I am unlikely to need to stay again myself as I live not too far away, but I will definitely recommend it to anyone else I know who needs someone to stay around that area :-)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank TS87
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Having recently stayed at the Mendip Gate, I would recommend this to anyone as a great place for a break. I stayed in the charming Churchill Suite which is beautufully decorated with nice quality furniture and a great bed. The hostess exceptionally welcoming and cooks a wonderful breakfast. She was also really helpful with things to do whilst I was there. The area has a couple of great pubs and lots of places to visit if you like walking, or just doing the tourist thing. Very handy for me as it's also within 5 minutes of the airport. Will be going back!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank TheCottageDrymen
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We stayed for a wedding nearby and were pleased to find our early arrival time could be accommodated and to be given a cup of tea in the lounge on arrival.
Breakfast was good, rooms comfortable and it was good value. Owners gave helpful advice on the locality.
It appeared ideal for a stopover for Bristol airport.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank skiingcouple
Reviewed 30 August 2010

The B+B would be ideal for a night before the airport but be warned it is next to a very busy road and if you are at the front of the building you might not get much sleep. Take ear plugs- the staff wear them. Unfortunately, I had to book into another hotel due to the noise and an uncomfortable bed and had to pay for the nights I had booked. The staff were friendly and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Advisor55, Owner at The Mendip Gate Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2010

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the trouble to write a review. It was such a shame that you didn't manage to sleep well prior to your important exams. Exams can have quite an emotional and physical effect on candidates and I'm very glad that I no longer have to take any! The room you chose is an economy favourite amongst my regulars so I'm sorry it did not suit your requirements. I'm sorry too that you personally found the bed uncomfortable. We receive endless compliments about the comfort of our beds, cleanliness and comfort of our rooms. I was very pleased to make a reduction of the cost of two breakfasts from your booking but of course, at such short notice, I was unable to re-let the room you had booked. I hope your exams went well.