“Wonderful meal”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Acton Trussell
Birmingham,
“Wonderful meal”
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband attended a awards night on behalf of the blood donor service and I can not speak highly enough of this hotel. All the staff were polite and friendly and nothing was to much trouble. The food was amazing cooked to perfection. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a venue, meal or put a quick lunch by the canal side.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I booked this hotel as a base in order to sort out my parents house. it is less than a five minutes drive from exit 13 of the m6 and though unfortunately you can see it from the rooms facing it you can't hear it. the room was excellent and of good size with an iron and board. there were also plenty of sugar and coffee which was a nice novelty instead of four sugar sachets between four coffee sachets and four tea bags. the original 14th century building houses the bar and excellent restaurant where you also have breakfast. we noted during our evening meal a room set aside for a family's special occasion, a 90th birthday party with personalised menus. (if I get to that age that's where I want to eat!) the staff were polite, friendly and helpful and the grounds with pond were an ideal place to sit out if it wasn't October! please bear in mind that it is very popular for weddings so despite asking for, and getting a quiet room at the end of the night it is possible to hear the on going celebrations.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely nights sleep and lovely evening meal at The Moat House. Comfortable room, everything you need and with the Lewis Partnership properties I think it's the little things that make a fantastic stay - big cosy towels, ironing board in the room and plenty of sockets. Superbly clean and high quality. The food was lovely at dinner and the service was very attentive. My only boggle really was breakfast, no one really noticed I was there for while, once they did I helped myself to the continental and ordered bacon and eggs, I asked for the eggs to be cooked through but they came out runny. I would have sent them back if anyone had come over to ask if everything was OK but they didn't. That said, this would to affect my decision to recommend the Moat House or stay again as anyone can have a little blip in my view. I'm a big fan of the Dog & Doublet, another LP property which would be my preference in future but only because I'm a big pub fan. Overall great stay and would recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
shropshire
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Attended a catering function at The Moat house hotel ( not to be confused with the old moat house hotel chain), The Moat House Acton Trussell, privately owned by the Lewis family has the Staffordshire canal running through its grounds hence the name)It is a superb hotel situated in beautiful rolling countryside on the outskirts of Stafford town.,In my book the best place to stay if visiting Staffordshire..
On to the meal ,stunning, course by course exceptional,. totally Michelin star standard, But the golden star goes to the squab pigeon main course which was absolutely sublime!. The event was organised on behalf of a local childrens charity & was supported by a gathering of Staffordshires finest chefs , Matt Davies & his team from the Moat house , Paul Gilmore From restaurant Gilmore Uttoxeter, Mike Hughes senior lecturer From Staffordshire college,students from the college, & other talented local chefs, At the same time as catering for our 85 covers they managed to serve another banquet for 110 midwives not too many babies needing delivery in staffordshire on Sunday I hope !! plus residents dining . I have eaten at The Moat many times over the past 15 years & have never been disappointed. give it a try!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We stayed here just for one night to break a long motorway journey, and were really pleased that we had payed that little more than the usual overnight stop, to get real quality of accommodation and food. Booked with late rooms.com, we payed £113 for B&B for two.
The location is great, only 5 minutes from Junction 13 of the M6, and yet in a beautiful rural setting with a lovely small lake.
The room was well furnished, had a very comfortable bed, and good clean en-suite facilities. Good free wifi was also available in the room.
The bar was welcoming and comfortable and interestingly had a lot of locals in as well as hotel guests.
Breakfast next morning was delicious, and the "full english" freshly cooked rather than from a buffet, as was my wife's porridge.
Staff were friendly and helpful. All in all a very good place to stay

Room Tip: If a function is being held, then ask for rooms away from the function rooms
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My new wife and I stayed in the Paget Suite on the night of our Fabulous Frugal Wedding which we held at home.

I arrived shortly after 12.30pm to prep for the ceremony giving me an hour and a half to savour the sumptuous surroundings of the room, hotel and location. The bathroom had a bath with shower over and also a separate shower cubicle with a lovely powerful hot shower. High quality toiletries and more than ample soft towels.

On the four poster bed a cuddly bear and 2 dressing gowns and slippers (all available to buy though not sure you'd want a dressing gown with a Moat House emblem). Furnished to a very high standard with heavy curtains and a gorgeous bedspread. The room opens onto a small terrace adjacent to the canal which I would imagine would be a perfect place for breakfast in the summer months. By the way the room is on the ground floor so easily accessed by wheelchair or disabled users. Note though there is a step up into the bathroom but once in there you'll have plenty of room to move about.

An extensive range of teas, coffee and hot chocolate drinks with a kettle and thick chunky delicious biscuits as well as bottled water are provided. TV with free view channels / radio.

We took the inclusive breakfast in our room using the two high backed arm chairs and coffee table to eat a delicious full english breakfast with fresh coffee and orange juice. Local, quality ingredients are used. Mmmm….There is a wide choice available from pastries to cereals to a simple bacon and eggs - just leave your selections (don't forget to say how many portions you want instead of just ticking them) on the card to hang on the door for staff to collect during the night between your chosen 15 minute time slot. Perfect. It arrived right on time and with a professional, cheery service.

Checking in was quick and professional as was the friendly service on leaving. We had a most amazing deal which is not fair to say on here but even at full room rate of £190 this is well worth it. If you can find a deal any lower than that, then you have a bargain. My value score is based on the full room rate, not the rate we paid.

When scoring for Location it's difficult to judge but this hotel being only 5 minutes from the M6 Junction 13 and yet in a rural setting is pretty good. The Peak District is about 90 minutes away, Cannock Chase just half an hour and the cities of Manchester and Birmingham no more than 60 and 30 minutes respectively.

Thankyou to all the staff and management for a most wonderful and perfect start to our married life.

Room Tip: The Paget Suite is perfect for couples celebrating a special occasion. Good disabled access on the g...
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I booked this hotel as an overnight stay and meal for my disabled husband's birthday. Originally I wanted a Saturday but the receptionist warned me that as there was a big wedding in the hotel and the only rooms available were over the disco, which was due to go on til after midnight. Consequently I booked a disabled room for the Friday. We have stayed in many disabled rooms, in various hotels at home and abroad and have found the majority of then are badly equipped, usually have no view, are small and one feels they are just made available to comply with the law. Not this room. It was superb. Clean,a big space, differing levels of size and height on the twin beds, a huge bathroom, with everything my husband could ask for. Everything in the bathroom was adjustable, easy to use and modern.
Our meal in the Orangery was terrific. The atmosphere was great, the food and wine delicious and the service was excellent. The only reason this revue is not 5* is that it was a good walk from the room to the restaurant, but we managed it! and would do so again. For those disabled of you out there I cannot recommend this hotel enough, the only other one that is on a par, is the one we stayed in at Slaley Hall in Northumberland.
Disabled people and their carers need to feel 'normal and excepted' Well done Moat House for making my husband's birthday everything he wished for and more. A heart felt thank you.

Room Tip: The disabled room is great, Wheelchair friendly and doesn't feel it is a disabled room.
1 Thank LinDave_13
Weston Hall
#1 of 11 in Stafford
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Stafford Central Hotel

Been to The Moat House? Share your experiences!