“Some things OK but sheets very very smelly”
Review of Wellspring

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashford
Wellspring
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in the Three Bears Lodge and the Tahoma. I would recommend Three Bears Lodge but not Tahoma. It was very dark in Tahoma and one of the lights in Tahoma was not working. Literally I couldn't wait to get out of it because it was so dark. Three Bears Lodge was great- roomy, great kitchen. Both places were quiet. If we had only been staying in Tahoma cabin, I would have max given 2 stars.

Cons:
Sheets smelled AWFUL. This was not just in one of the places, this was in both where we stayed. We were traveling with another couple, they experienced the same thing in their spot at Wellspring. If this is supposed to be an upscale lodge, the sheets should not stink like mildew. The sheets were also very old, pilled, and stained. This has been mentioned in other reviews too so I'm surprised the innkeepers haven't remedied this. It is very unpleasant to wake to a smelly sheet.

It is also not easy to contact someone on site. Not sure if the Innkeeper works offsite or what but it's hard to find someone. There is a phone at the reception kiosk (no live, real person) that connects you with a company that I assume is contracted out to do their reservations, etc. They are on the East coast. When I was talking to them I got cut off. While in the end they billed us properly, it seemed rather impersonal. They did, however, move our items appropriately between places we stayed as requested.

It rains a lot at Mt. Rainier and we did appreciate the Innkeepers having umbrellas for use. I'd have to say, though, that smelly sheets really were a minus, so I'd think twice before staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank WTravelerO
SUNNY1432, Owner at Wellspring, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you so much for your willingness to take time to write your feelings. It is with great sorrow to read of an unhappy experience here. We have had an illness on the housekeeping staff and that,
although not an excuse, is at least a root cause of our recent challenges, and we are back on track. Also with all brand new sheets !

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I wanted to love this place. It was VERY private, romantic log cabin in the woods. The rooms were clean, rustic and quaint...but lacking....Upon arrival the hostess met us with a basket with two tangerines, two tiny boxes of raisins, one granola bar and two fruit roll-ups. She said "too many people have dietary restrictions so rather than try to accommodate everyone's needs, we just supply these breakfast baskets for breakfast". There was a microwave, refrigerator and coffeepot in the room. No coffee or filters. There was a handful of mismatched plates and silverware but only sufficient for one person (one spoon, one fork) There was Christmas liquid hand soap in the shower. No shampoo. The towels were mis-matched. The flannel sheets were full of pulls and well worn. The sofa was grubby and I was afraid to sit on it for what I might catch. SERIOUSLY!!! There were not blinds on the upper windows and the sun woke us around 5:30 am. I love camping and this is how it felt but for $175/night I expected more.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MNSc-travel
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My nephew and his bride booked to resort for their wedding. What a wonderful destination. Sonny, the innkeeper, was very friendly and helpful and readily available. Each cabin is unique and has a theme of sorts. As said, my nephew had the whole resort so we were able to see all the cabins. The main cabin is spacious and ample sleeping areas. All the other cabins are along little trails and offer a walk in the woods, private, back to nature feel. The grounds are pleasant and offer areas for setting up tables for large parties, but their "piece de resistance" is The Sanctuary. Looked deep in the woods, this is a most enchanting, peaceful and beautiful location to hold an out door wedding. Designed with a stadium style, this is a quaint setting. It is as spiritual as you chose it to be. I wish I had photos to load of this spot as it is just a dream come true to hold a wedding. They even have a small bridal cottage for the bride to get ready in nearby. And for those who can't make the walk through the woods, there is a access for vehicles, but walk it if you can. This was a delightful and memorable weekend in part to Wellspring!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I did not stay here as a guest but was invited to perform a wedding ceremony in the sanctuary. The sanctuary itself was lovely. Mosquitoes were plentiful but that is totally to be expected in the woods! (just a reminder so you can be prepared when you go)
Make sure to wear comfy shoes or bring them to change into. The path is in the woods so be ready. The "rustic" outhouse was a very nice touch. I will be a guest the next time I get to go out there. Well, a wedding guest. I think staying here would be an interesting adventure.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed two nights in one of the smaller, "romantic" cabins and found it to be very nice. Secluded and quiet with a cute small kitchen (not a lot of utensils and few pots and pans) that we used to prepared a simple breakfast. There were plenty of plates, forks, knives, etc for our needs. We throughly enjoyed our visit and enjoyed the minimalistic landscaping, i.e. - lots of wildflowers, etc. We were lucky and the weather was unbelievable for our entire stay. Would recommend this to my family and friends.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Cabin was full of mice poop and the bed must have been their nest. There were droppings on the tables, bed and futon. Pillows reeked of rodent urine. We figured this is not that unusual for winter in the woods so we tried to contact them for new bedding and pillows. We tried sleeping on the tiny futon with no luck and eventually slept in our truck. Sad and frustrating. Management was not to be found. Tried to call....no luck. Their house was on the property. Knocked and could not find anyone to help us. The hot tub water smelled of chlorine and was dirty. There are lots of floating things----looked like pieces of cooked egg in the hot tub. The hot tub was not as private as we expected or hoped. $10 is a lot to pay for an hour of sitting in the tub---it was $20 for both of us. Breakfast basket was nowhere to be found. Stayed here years before and Sunny was everywhere. Don't know who owns it now. It seems like the owners expect the place to run on it's own. They just didn't seem to care. Never got a response back after asking for a refund. Husband is sensitive to rodent droppings and urine. Miserable night. We'll never go back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank HikeandBike45
Reviewed 16 March 2014

A friend recommended checking out this place. At first I was a bit hesitant to stay in a cabin in the woods by myself. had a really bad couple of weeks at work and by then didn't care, just needed to get away. When i arrived I was a little disappointed at first to see how close together the cabin actually were...HOWEVER, It was just fine. Even though there were several people staying I barely saw anyone the two days I was there. Natalie? I hope I got her name right, he housekeeper was great and she showed me some of the rent rooms that I was curious about. Sunny was very friendly and when I ran into her she asked me if I had found the labriynth which was very peaceful. I'm still curious about the rock formations there :). I would highly recommend this place if you need a relaxing, no phone, no internet, no tv kind of time. I for sure will go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#4 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to Wellspring? Share your experiences!