“Great cabin stay everything we expected”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashford
The Lodge Near Mount Rainier
UT
“Great cabin stay everything we expected”
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

The cabin was very nice in a secluded area. and it was extremely quiet. There were a lot of great things to do in the area the Mount the Mount Rainier Scenic train ride and the Northwest Trek Wildlife Park. nice cabin an scenic views we're all reason we're all reasons to return. coffe ho hot chocolate fo for firewood for the bes for the best experience.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank travelerrrr123

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Mukilteo, Washington
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband, our friend, and I stayed here in the Cedar Cabin.

The pro's:
- If you're looking for solitude, this is the place. Quiet as a church, deep in the woods.
- Easily sleeps the four people we planned to have there.
- Full kitchen with a full-size fridge, microwave, toaster oven, ancient (but functional) stove/oven with dishes and cooking accessories provided.
- Crazy close to the Nisqually entrance to the park (like a half mile, close).
- Decent price for a two bedroom cabin- plus we received some weird, unprepared for discounts.

The con's:
- The website claims there is wifi (though it does say that wifi would be weak at the Cedar cabin). This is not just misleading, it's practically a lie. There is an unsecured wifi connection that seems to be centered in the office. There is NO way that this wifi extends past this house's yard. When parked creepily outside the office, you can connect with a fair (but fickle) connection. This wouldn't be too big of deal except that there's no cell service-- a problem for a group of people trying to keep in touch while traveling separately. It would also have been ok had we known in advance.
- The water here is FOUL. It smells like sulphur (yes, volcano, I get it), and tastes terrible. Bring your own drinking water, and prepare to suffer through your hot, sulphur-y showers.
- The cabin itself seems like it's in decent shape, though the porch is a little shaky, but the furnishings are not great. Old, outdated, in crummy shape, it basically seems like the owners purchased some thrift store furniture (and sheets, etc) and tossed them in. I get that we're "camping", but for the (admittedly reasonable) price, you would think it would be a little nicer.
- I'm not sure who the other reviewers dealt with, but the gentleman that lives in the office was not very pleasant to us. When my friend and I first arrived (around 11pm on a friday) and parked outside the office to email to let the rest of our party know we had arrived safely, my friend walked toward the office to pick up some firewood (which was for sale on the porch). A dog started barking, a light came on, and a gentleman came out angrily demanding to know what we were doing. My friend explained that we were trying to use the internet/ get some firewood and that she hadn't realized there were people living in the office. He grumbled something and then said, "I'll turn off the internet, then!" It was good that I hurriedly sent my email because, as good as his word, he shut it off ten seconds later. Sorry but is 11pm on a Friday that late? And how rude! Our only other interaction with him was when he interrogated my husband about what he was doing at our cabin.

All in all, if you don't zero connection to the outside world without rudeness, and you want to be left completely alone, this would be an alright place for you. For us, it was a no go. Probably won't return.

Room Tip: Maybe try one of the other cabins which have much better reviews and steer clear of the Cedar Cabin.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mousemousemouse

Travellers are raving about these Ashford hotels

Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My husband is in the military and was home for a brief time. We decided to make the most of it with a romantic getaway to Ranier. We thought a private cozy cabin in the mountains all to ourselves would be perfect! Maybe a long day of hiking Paradise ending with some peace and quiet relaxing next to a crackling fire in the fireplace, followed by a glass of wine....you get the point. This place was EVERYTHING we had envisioned and more!

We booked the 'Family Cabin.' We requested early check in due to our limited time together. Staff at the Lodge said "no problem! we understand." We checked in early at no extra charge. After a beautiful drive out to the Lodge we finaly arrived at our cabin--it was ADORABLE! Cozy as can be! We turned on all of the heaters to let the place warm up and got in the car to head to the mountain. We drove literally 10 feet down the road and the entrance to Ranier Ntl Park was RIGHT THERE! We had no idea it was THAT close! So, location is AMAZING!

After a beautiful October day of hiking, we settled into Alexander's for dinner--the place is wonderful! We had steamy beef stew and stroganoff with warm bread right from the oven....but anyway, back to the Lodge after that!......

When we got back to the cabin, it was all warmed up and toasty. My husband bought firewood at the front office for $4 a bundle- very convenient and cheapest price around. He made a perfect fire in the fireplace. We turned off all the lights, lit a few additional candles we brought, layed a few spare blankets from the closet down infront of our crackling fire and....cuddled ;)

We woke up to a dying fire at about midnight, gathered ourselves up and went to bed. We put an extra fleece balnket from the closet on the bed for extra warmth. The bed was very comfortable and clean. It was so incredibly quiet and peaceful. All night long you could have heard a pin drop! It was the deepest and LONGEST sleep either my husband or I had in a solid year!

The next morning we slept in until 11. Thats really late for us. (checkout isn't until 12-delightful! :)Before we even got out of bed we snuggled and just watched the cutest little birds hop around from twig to twig of the low hanging tree branches outside our window. We got up, fixed tea on the gas stove and baked croissants in the oven. We wraped ourselves in blankets and sat out on the porch in the crisp cool air admiring the majestic view. We were so sad we couldn't stay just one more night! Especially at that unbeatable price! $70 ?? But alas, we enjoyed a steaming shower and packed up to go home-back to noisy Seattle! We vowed to come back! And we will :)

We can not speak for the other cabins--- but the Family cabin made our trip WONDERFUL! We peeked in the windows of the Green Cabin as well and it looked just as quaint and cozy. THESE ARE REAL CABIN'S!!! Meant to give you a rugged mountain experience. But thats what we LOVED about it! The floors are a little squeeky, and I can agree that the walls and decor is outdated, but it creates an antique cottage feel that we found precious! Now, it wouldn't hurt for them to replace the carpet- it is starting to ripple due to age. But other than that- this place provided the perfect ambiance at an UNBEATABLE price for location and private peace and quiet! Pets are welcome, wich is great, though we didnt bring ours. And the kitchens are supplied with all the dishes and cooking utensils you'll need. My husband and I just adored this place. I did wonder if we were going to see any bugs...but we didn't, although, it is October so I guess they dont come around then as much as in the summer. WE WILL 100% DEFINITELY BE BACK! And we're reccomending it to everyone we meet! book the green or family cabin and have a REAL mountain experience! hope this has been helpful

Room Tip: If renting the family cabin: if you are going to make a fire in the fireplace, MAKE SURE the vent is...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 564shay564
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 May 2012

It's too bad about these old reviews. I came on here to give this place a big thumbs up! The place has new managers and looks like they have been working really hard. I've stayed in the small lodge and the Chalet and have no complaints. The Chalet has an amazing amount of beds, I came up with a very large group and we all still fit! The bunk space in the basement makes for a, back at summer camp type of feel, and the upstairs loft and rooms provide the privacy others seek. The deck is beautiful and its fun to watch the snow fall through the big front windows. After sledding the mini sled hill on site, heading to the sauna is a perfect end to the day. Light a fire, put on some hot cocoa and relax in the Chalet. Remember, this is a do it yourself kind of place, bring in food for cooking, pots, pans, dishware are provided. While I haven't been in the summer, I can't wait to go back. It's so close to the mountain, it will be perfect for heading up to paradise and going on hikes!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ultimatesmurf87
Seattle
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We were at the chalet in late Feb 2012; three adults, two small kids, and a dog. I'll start positive: The chalet is an a-frame style cabin with great windows and natural light. It is big and has beds to sleep tons. There is a working sauna. The heater kept it as warm as we wanted. We could bring the dog with no extra costs. Now here is the kicker--- there was a MAJOR carpenter ant infestation. We didn't notice until the first night, when I guess the temp. came up high enough to bring them in-- but there were tons of them coming from the ceiling. We creatively got rid of most of them-- but had stragglers coming out the entire time we were there. It kept us from getting comfortable- limited the amt. of time we spent in the cabin and then ultimately left earlier than planned. I have emailed the Lodge with no response.
Until the ant problem is resolved I would NOT recommend staying here at all-- but if they can assure you they have it contained-- the chalet would be more of a 3 rating. It's not fancy-- but for close-to-the park lodging for a family that isn't high maintenance-- this might work.
We did walk around the rest of the lodge grounds and the other cabins (except for the large lodge which was occupied) they were much smaller and even more dated. All in all, I really would look elsewhere for lodging.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank WaBackpacker
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Great location, close to the entrance of Mt Rainier National Park. The people are very nice and helpful. But the cabin itself is not kept in good condition, very dated - the furnishing, the installation and worst the bathroom - we could not bring ourselves to use the shower and left one day earlier. In spite of everything the heater worked great while it was raining a lot during one day and getting rather cold shortly. Anyway we would not recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pepperdusty
Hopewell, Virginia
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Stayed in the small lodge 22 DEC for one night with wife and 3 children. Rented it because of the pool table and games and stuff. Don't let the pictures on the website fool you, this building is VERY old and in serious need of repair. It smells like gas / old carpets when you walk in. Most of the electrical fixtures were either not working or didn't work right. Half the upstairs we couldn't even see because no lights worked. The buildings main heater was broke so there were space heaters in each room. Although we were glad there were space heaters and firewood provided by the lodge; these space heaters were from the 50's at least and had electrical tape splicing the cords together. Some of them I unplugged due to safety. I would rather be cold than start a fire. There are panels on the walls that lead to crawl spaces throughout the building and the kids were creeped out by the smells and oldness of the place. Did not like the white lights throughout the building, not very warm (used to be a donut shop). The staircase is very steep and dangerous for children. We did enjoy the pool table, good hot water and the fireplace. The manager Doug was helpful and friendly when you could find him. (Quite often nobody is at the office, but out cleaning/ working on the other units)... I don't regret staying there because the kids will never forget the experience and it is close to the mountain, but I wouldn't stay there again... even for half price.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank FBOOTH6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
#2 of 5 in Packwood
Nisqually Lodge
Nisqually Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford

Been to The Lodge Near Mount Rainier? Share your experiences!