“Do not stay here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashford
The Lodge Near Mount Rainier
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Cheap means run down, filthy and poorly equipped. Do not on any account stay here. Wi - fi does not work and no-one around to answer any questions. The worst place we have ever stayed in in the entire USA.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank adrian_clark80

Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent 3 nights in Cedar Cabin while visiting Mt. Rainier. It is very close to the park in a pretty wooded setting. The cabin is cute from the outside and there is a porch with one plastic chair to sit in.
The interior needs new beds, couch and chairs, all were worn out and so uncomfortable that we considered leaving after the first night. The entire cabin needs updating, cleaning and new carpet. There isn't enough light inside to see what you're doing. At night we moved the 2 working lamps from the bedrooms around with us so we could read. There is no tv or internet and no at+t cell service. There was a fireplace but it was full of ashes and we didn't use it.
The kitchen was dated but in working order with what we needed to cook a few meals except no paper towels. There isn't a real grocery in Ashford so bring what you need to cook. There was a good dining table and chairs. The bathroom had the essentials but was not in great shape. No hair dryer.
We would never stay here again. It was fairly reasonably priced but not a good value.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank eldoradogirl
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here for one night in September and booked the green hill cabin. Never again, it smelled bad and the bathroom was ugly. The cabin was cold and the heater didn't work, it was more ancient than usable and loud.

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank JJ H
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We come up here regularly its awesome the best place you can be its cozy,warm,quiet as can be you will all love this place we love it we recommend it to friends all the time so I hope you can do the same.the service is nice it's clean every cabin has a fire witch keeps the house warm and cozy.One more thing it is officially super amazingly
AWESOME

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Awezome
Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

The cabin was very nice in a secluded area. and it was extremely quiet. There were a lot of great things to do in the area the Mount the Mount Rainier Scenic train ride and the Northwest Trek Wildlife Park. nice cabin an scenic views we're all reason we're all reasons to return. coffe ho hot chocolate fo for firewood for the bes for the best experience.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank travelerrrr123
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband, our friend, and I stayed here in the Cedar Cabin.

The pro's:
- If you're looking for solitude, this is the place. Quiet as a church, deep in the woods.
- Easily sleeps the four people we planned to have there.
- Full kitchen with a full-size fridge, microwave, toaster oven, ancient (but functional) stove/oven with dishes and cooking accessories provided.
- Crazy close to the Nisqually entrance to the park (like a half mile, close).
- Decent price for a two bedroom cabin- plus we received some weird, unprepared for discounts.

The con's:
- The website claims there is wifi (though it does say that wifi would be weak at the Cedar cabin). This is not just misleading, it's practically a lie. There is an unsecured wifi connection that seems to be centered in the office. There is NO way that this wifi extends past this house's yard. When parked creepily outside the office, you can connect with a fair (but fickle) connection. This wouldn't be too big of deal except that there's no cell service-- a problem for a group of people trying to keep in touch while traveling separately. It would also have been ok had we known in advance.
- The water here is FOUL. It smells like sulphur (yes, volcano, I get it), and tastes terrible. Bring your own drinking water, and prepare to suffer through your hot, sulphur-y showers.
- The cabin itself seems like it's in decent shape, though the porch is a little shaky, but the furnishings are not great. Old, outdated, in crummy shape, it basically seems like the owners purchased some thrift store furniture (and sheets, etc) and tossed them in. I get that we're "camping", but for the (admittedly reasonable) price, you would think it would be a little nicer.
- I'm not sure who the other reviewers dealt with, but the gentleman that lives in the office was not very pleasant to us. When my friend and I first arrived (around 11pm on a friday) and parked outside the office to email to let the rest of our party know we had arrived safely, my friend walked toward the office to pick up some firewood (which was for sale on the porch). A dog started barking, a light came on, and a gentleman came out angrily demanding to know what we were doing. My friend explained that we were trying to use the internet/ get some firewood and that she hadn't realized there were people living in the office. He grumbled something and then said, "I'll turn off the internet, then!" It was good that I hurriedly sent my email because, as good as his word, he shut it off ten seconds later. Sorry but is 11pm on a Friday that late? And how rude! Our only other interaction with him was when he interrogated my husband about what he was doing at our cabin.

All in all, if you don't zero connection to the outside world without rudeness, and you want to be left completely alone, this would be an alright place for you. For us, it was a no go. Probably won't return.

Room Tip: Maybe try one of the other cabins which have much better reviews and steer clear of the Cedar Cabin.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mousemousemouse
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My husband is in the military and was home for a brief time. We decided to make the most of it with a romantic getaway to Ranier. We thought a private cozy cabin in the mountains all to ourselves would be perfect! Maybe a long day of hiking Paradise ending with some peace and quiet relaxing next to a crackling fire in the fireplace, followed by a glass of wine....you get the point. This place was EVERYTHING we had envisioned and more!

We booked the 'Family Cabin.' We requested early check in due to our limited time together. Staff at the Lodge said "no problem! we understand." We checked in early at no extra charge. After a beautiful drive out to the Lodge we finaly arrived at our cabin--it was ADORABLE! Cozy as can be! We turned on all of the heaters to let the place warm up and got in the car to head to the mountain. We drove literally 10 feet down the road and the entrance to Ranier Ntl Park was RIGHT THERE! We had no idea it was THAT close! So, location is AMAZING!

After a beautiful October day of hiking, we settled into Alexander's for dinner--the place is wonderful! We had steamy beef stew and stroganoff with warm bread right from the oven....but anyway, back to the Lodge after that!......

When we got back to the cabin, it was all warmed up and toasty. My husband bought firewood at the front office for $4 a bundle- very convenient and cheapest price around. He made a perfect fire in the fireplace. We turned off all the lights, lit a few additional candles we brought, layed a few spare blankets from the closet down infront of our crackling fire and....cuddled ;)

We woke up to a dying fire at about midnight, gathered ourselves up and went to bed. We put an extra fleece balnket from the closet on the bed for extra warmth. The bed was very comfortable and clean. It was so incredibly quiet and peaceful. All night long you could have heard a pin drop! It was the deepest and LONGEST sleep either my husband or I had in a solid year!

The next morning we slept in until 11. Thats really late for us. (checkout isn't until 12-delightful! :)Before we even got out of bed we snuggled and just watched the cutest little birds hop around from twig to twig of the low hanging tree branches outside our window. We got up, fixed tea on the gas stove and baked croissants in the oven. We wraped ourselves in blankets and sat out on the porch in the crisp cool air admiring the majestic view. We were so sad we couldn't stay just one more night! Especially at that unbeatable price! $70 ?? But alas, we enjoyed a steaming shower and packed up to go home-back to noisy Seattle! We vowed to come back! And we will :)

We can not speak for the other cabins--- but the Family cabin made our trip WONDERFUL! We peeked in the windows of the Green Cabin as well and it looked just as quaint and cozy. THESE ARE REAL CABIN'S!!! Meant to give you a rugged mountain experience. But thats what we LOVED about it! The floors are a little squeeky, and I can agree that the walls and decor is outdated, but it creates an antique cottage feel that we found precious! Now, it wouldn't hurt for them to replace the carpet- it is starting to ripple due to age. But other than that- this place provided the perfect ambiance at an UNBEATABLE price for location and private peace and quiet! Pets are welcome, wich is great, though we didnt bring ours. And the kitchens are supplied with all the dishes and cooking utensils you'll need. My husband and I just adored this place. I did wonder if we were going to see any bugs...but we didn't, although, it is October so I guess they dont come around then as much as in the summer. WE WILL 100% DEFINITELY BE BACK! And we're reccomending it to everyone we meet! book the green or family cabin and have a REAL mountain experience! hope this has been helpful

Room Tip: If renting the family cabin: if you are going to make a fire in the fireplace, MAKE SURE the vent is...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple