“Disappointing”
Review of Alexander's Lodge

Alexander's Lodge
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ashford
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed in the 3 bedroom Forest House with 4 adults and 2 young children. The house was clean, with ample space for all of us, but, at more than $300 per night it was over-priced for a 1960's ranch that didn't even have screens for the windows. Excellent location near Mt. Rainier and nice people. My granddaughter loved catching (and releasing) trout in the pond. However, the place needs updating and breakfast was just OK. We will most likely not return either the bed or the breakfast. It's unfortunate that the facilities and the meals did not match the pleasantness of the staff.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Randy K

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I got married on the 1st of July and spent the night in the Tower Suite at Alexander's. We arrived late and the front desk agent asked if we were going to be eating dinner. We were very hungry and the restaurant was actually closing, but she said she would let the staff know to keep the restaurant open just for us. There was no rush either. She showed me the room and the amenities, then allowed us to bring our luggage up to the room before coming down to dinner. The food was delicious and they brought us complimentary champagne. The room was amazing. Well decorated and cozy. The next morning all of the staff was so warm and helpful. Each one we passed greeted us good morning. The complimentary breakfast was great and again the staff was so nice and helpful.

I am the front desk supervisor at a Marriott hotel and I had never seen a staff so all around so phenomenal! I would recommend anyone who needs to stay near Mt. Rainier or just needs to get away from it all to come here to Alexander's. It will be worth every penny!

Room Tip: I wouldn't recommend the Tower Suite to anyone who has a hard time getting around. It is a two s...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris T
Reviewed 17 June 2014

From the staff, the accommodations, the food, everything far exceeded our expectations. Let me start with Shannon. She made us feel so welcome when we arrived and continued it through our entire stay. The wait staff was also so friendly. Both dinner and breakfast were fantastic. They even did a boxed lunch for us to take on our hikes on the mountain. The common sitting areas were very inviting which made meeting and conversing with fellow guests very enjoyable. The trout pond made it a perfect setting. In other words, we loved it!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I had accumulated a nice amount of Bedandbreakfast.com gift certificates to use on a family vacation. After reviewing the B&B website I found this location that had rooms that could handle families and said they accepted B&B gift certificates. I called to make the reservation and they asked for the customary deposit which I was happy to give. I told the person I would be paying with B&B gift cards and wanted to be sure they would refund my credit card at check in so I could pay in full with gift cards. Well, that was a problem because they incur fees when they run a refund. (So I'm thinking to myself, so what, you will incur a fee when you take my deposit too, plus this will be almost a $700 reservation.) Anyways, the person said she would talk with the owner the next day to see if she would be willing to do that and call me back.

In the meantime, I found a way to get my B&B gift certificates in electronic format so they are available for immediate use. This should solve the problem since now I can pay directly with the certificates and they won't have to run my card and refund it and incur the dreaded credit card fees.

So I call the next morning, speak with a new person who says she was finishing serving breakfast and would call me back in a half hour to do my reservation. Over an hour went by and no call. At this point we had to leave for a family gathering. Got home in the evening and neither the first person or second person I spoke to had returned my calls as promised.

So I call again, get a third person who is very friendly takes my information to book my reservation and takes down all the gift certificate numbers to process the deposit. Then in the background the "friendly" lady from day one starts talking to her in the background. She then gets on the phone and tells me they have a $200 limit on accepting gift cards. (Didn't mention this the day before) Something about paying BedandBreakfast.com a fee for the certificates.

I mentioned that seemed fair since without being listed on their website I would not have found them and be attempting book with them. Anyways she said the owner said no, $200 maximum.

So I said pass and you all may want to as well.

The only thing I can think of is if they are that concerned about normal fees of processing payments and doing business maybe they are struggling financially. In which case I would hesitate to give them my money up front anyways.

My recommendation would be to find somewhere else that returns calls and honors their statements.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pevk
AlexandersCountryInn, Owner at Alexander's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I apologize for the confusion regarding your reservation at Alexander's guest houses.
As the owner, I take full responsibility for any confusion and miscommunications.
Alexander's has accepted bedandbreakfast.com gift cards for several years. I mistakenly thought there was a limit on the amount of gift cards used for a single stay. I now understand that only cards purchased through Costco are subject to a dollar limit---while cards purchased through bedandbreakfast.com do not have a dollar limit.
Again, I sincerely apologize for the confusion and miscommunications and hope that you and your family have a wonderful vacation.
Please feel free to contact me at any time.
Bernadette
Owner, Alexander's Country Inn

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Located in rustic Ashford, the Alexander has grace, class and unpretentious elegance. I've stayed here before and came back to enjoy the delightful mix of an inn built in 1912 with all the modern conveniences. When I checked out this morning after a sumptuous breakfast, deer were lounging on the lawn and didn't budge as I loaded the car. They have a good wine list. Excellent service from the staff all around with special kudos to Shannon, who showed exceptional attentiveness and effort.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Hank F
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights whilst on a trip around olympic peninsula and mount rainier. Only approx 1 mile from mt rainier entrance. It is a well maintained victorian building with excellent staff. We were put into a king suite by Shannon upon our arrival which was very clean and had a large living area and small outdoor patio. Later we used the outdoor tub which overlooked the pond in the back (towels are supplied), then enjoyed a conversation with the only other couple staying that evening along with the complimentary wine served in the media room. There is also a large parlor for guests use which has an assortment of games and is also the wi fi area (very hard to get any signals in the area). There are no tvs or phones in the room and they do not allow pets, which all adds up to a relaxing and comfortable stay. Complimentary breakfast is served fresh made in the restaurant every morning and is delicious. When Shannon heard we were going to mt rainier she immediately asked if we needed use of the snowshoes. Yes we said and she got us 2 pairs and poles and also pointed us in the right direction to hire snow chains (have to carry them in the car if you want to go into mt rainier park as still lots of snow) for the car. That evening we had a lovely meal in the restaurant and sat by the fire with the complimentary wine before retiring for the evening.
We had a great time - thank you all and we highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jayne-Steve
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Had the greatest experience with this inn! The staff was great and the inn was very clean and welcoming! From the complimentary breakfast and wine to the great view from the hot tub we will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Brenna D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Mountain View Lodge
#1 of 6 in Ashford
Copper Creek Inn
Copper Creek Inn
#2 of 3 in Ashford

Been to Alexander's Lodge? Share your experiences!