“Are you kidding Me”

Ranked #3 of 3 Ashford B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Are you kidding Me”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Arrived and was given the upgrade to cabin 3. Should have taken the 2 room suite above the restaurant. Wife is not the camping type so this is her review: Big spider on the towel which the man killed, TP roll less than 1/4 full. eclectic lamps, flooring, and curtains. refused to use the show I preferred to stink. Paneling ceiling was bowed. Should have slept in the car. The only thing it has going for it is the location.

Room Tip: If you have the money look at the other B and B's or the other cabins. Do Not Select # 3 unless...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank M-F_Trackers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 10 June 2014

'I recently booked this hotel 6/2/14 and stayed there one of the two nights that I had reserved. My family and I have frequently stayed at what we would term mom and pop type motels and have never had a bad experience until now. Let me first state that we dont feel the need to have a 4 star room , as long as its clean and safe we are good. Upon arrival we noticed that the room was definetly older and need of updating. The shower stall was so small that we couldnt lift our legs to wash our feet without opening the door, and the floor had a slant to it. All this as far as we are concerned was not a problem. We consider it just part of the experience. The slant in the floor turned out to be a big problem. It was so severe that we were trying to sleep with our feet above our heads. There were boards under the head board to try and even it out, and the mattresses were apparently worn out. It was a miserable night for all of us.The next morning we decided that we could not do this another night and informed the owner that we would not stay another night and asked to be refunded for the remaining night. He refused and told us to contact Hotels .com about a refund. He never even asked why and apparently has been through this before. I realize there is a cancellation policy but I also feel that this room was unacceptable. I feel that if he doesnt provide the expected service that he shouldnt be allowed to take our money. Additionally he charged an extra $30 a night for our children which we were not expecting. We are definetly not satisfied with the accomodations and feel like if hotels can charge you for unacceptable conditions that there is no reason to book hotels with booking companies if they are unable to guarantee satisfaction. We did contact one of Hotels.com reps about this that night and he was very apologetic and offered us a $50 voucher. This is very nice of hotels.com but the fact is that this is less than half of what we spent. and we had to find another place. Moreover the hotel owner got to keep our money for nothing. also as far as I know there is no threat for him of not being able to do business with booking companies. Basically because we booked and payed in advance it doesnt matter if the room is unacceptable they get to keep our money. I have contacted Hotels.com to try to get a resolution but have not heard back from them yet. Right now im not sure I will ever use a booking site ever again, I will have to wait and see what hotels .com has to say. Regardless I would never recommend a stay at the Gateway inn in Ashford Wa

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ajconner

Travellers are raving about these Ashford hotels

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This motel is right next to the west gate of the park so perfect for all visits to Paradise and surroundings. It was the cheapest in the area . We booked a suite and were given a log cabin with an open wood fire! It was very comfortable and certainly suited our needs. The restaurant was limited but food was well cooked and inexpensive. Staff were friendly and accommodating. WiFi was very weak in the cabin but much better in the restaurant. But overall it was an excellent choice for visiting the park. The owner appears to be improving things as well, such as new signage.

Room Tip: We didn't see the suites but the cabins were spacious and ours could have slept six.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My business colleague and I stayed here during the Rainier Indie Film Fest and were booked in the room above the restaurant. In fairness, the cottages looked much better. This is the closest place you can stay near the entrance to the park. Skip to bottom for "BOTTOM LINE".

There is a restaurant and "store" (if you want to call it that) on-site. Both of which are ok, but don't expect to eat late - both close quite early (around 6pm). Restaurant staff was friendly and accomodating. The room was clean, but this "above the garage" style room we had felt like it was home-made. It was obvious that this space was added later, or converted from storage or an office. The way everything was built and the material quality was strange and mis-matched. It looked like it was made with "whatever was laying around" or had all been picked up from a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store (used/leftover building supplies). Oddities such as; pictures on the walls were 5x7's, dizzy-spell inducing wall paper, pink toilet, pink shower, pink sink, 1970's marbled carpeting, and a bathroom with a bathroom ceiling that only folks under 5'5 would appreciate. Everything worked and everything was clean - but everything was also weird. Lets just say, it's eclectic and quirky...

It did have two separate bedrooms - sort of. My bedroom door would not close because the hinges were not placed correctly and the other bedroom was more of an alcove - no door. Each bedroom had individual electric wall heaters but only one small television in the "alcove" room.

The microwave was too small to fit a standard 16oz paper cup, the fridge was standard hotel mini fridge, and WiFi worked fine. Finding enough electric outlets was sometimes a challenge but we managed.

Beds were definitely not high quality - more like the 'sit on the corner and drop halfway to the floor' variety but I slept decent enough. It's so quiet at night you can hear everything - since the road out front only goes into the park, at night there wasn't a single car. There was ample wooden furniture to sit and converse around but not to watch the TV since it was in the alcove and setup for watching in bed only.

BOTTOM LINE: This place was not comfy, romantic, or nice at all really. It's clean, has WiFi, and they do have all of the things you'd find in a standard room - but everything is laid out strangely and built to low quality. If your only purpose is to climb Mt. Rainier and you need a very close location to crash at night, I suppose it would work. The prices here are about 20-30% inflated because of the proximity to the mountain so keep that in mind when you're trying to determine the quality.

Room Tip: This place was not comfy, romantic, or nice at all really. It's clean, has WiFi, and they do hav...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DaCouv
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Inn is cute and rustic. Certainly not the Hilton. I stayed here last year , but I decided to give it another try. I got the cabin I booked so all was good there and it was quaint. The beds were bad, mattress old and squeaky. But hey, no issues. What really upset me was when we went to check out, the owner was at in the restaurant, which was not open, and held a personal phone call for 10 mins while we stood there and waited. Never any acknowledgement of our standing there, no apology offered, and then no thank you or anything. I guess lesson learned and I wont go back. My money will be welcomed elsewhere.

Room Tip: Cabin 9 does have a fireplace.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aycock
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We were headed to Mt. Rainier National Park for a weekend of snowshoeing and wanted to book a cabin near the park. We chose Gateway Inn because the price was reasonable, it was right at the park entrance, and had a fireplace.

When we arrived, we were given cabin #3, which we were promptly informed did NOT have a fireplace. Disappointing. The electrical wall heater did eventually heat the room, and the cabin did have the advertised private shower, but we had to deal with multiple power outages during our stay. The first one was pretty surprising and lasted about 10 minutes. We thought that was odd, since keeping the power supplied to a rental cabin seems like a pretty fundamental service for an Inn to provide to their patrons. After the next 3-4 outages, we gave up on assuming that we would have reliable power and called it a night. In the morning, the power went out two more times while we were getting to leave. It probably went out a few more times that morning, but we didn't linger. We just wanted to get out of there.

I won't stay there again, and can't recommend it to anyone else. The Travelocity listing and Gateway Inn's own web site say the cabins have a fireplace, but that's certainly not the case. We also had a double bed and single bed, which would have slept three adults at most. Travelocity also advertised wireless Internet, but it wasn't available, at least from our cabin.

When we checked out, the owner just waved his hand at me and said, "I'm sorry." I think he got plenty of grief from other people stayed at the cabin who were upset and the power outages, so he was probably happy to see us go. Felt a little sorry for the guy. We had lunch at the Highlander Inn (we decided not to eat at the Gateway Inn -- we weren't too eager to give the owners any more of our money), and we mentioned our less-than-ideal stay to the waiter. She said that "Yeah, that's not exactly a nice place to stay." So, there you go.

Oh ... You probably won't see all of the mountain views that are posted on the Travelocity site for the GateWay Inn property. One of them is of the Snowy Mountains, which are in AUSTRALIA.

On the plus side. The owner *was* helpful, when we questioned the heating in our room. He offered to move us to another room and was even willing to give us the space heater that he had in the restaurant. So, he was willing to help.

Room Tip: Cabin #3 doesn't have a fireplace.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank badgertrek
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I made a reservation at this dump a month in advance for one of the cabins with a fireplace. First of all you cant book this place directly from there website so I emailed to find out rates then after I got the rate I emailed them back the same night to say I would take the reservation and gave them a credit card number to guarantee the reservation. I had to email this place 3 times before they would confirm I had a reservation over a time period of 2 weeks before they got back to me! Then when my husband and I arrived we waited at the front desk which was more a cash desk inside a restaurant and gift shop only to have to wait for 10 minutes for someone to help us. When I said I had a reservation the guy tried to give me a reservation for Brenda which is not me and then when he finally did get my name right he tried to tell me I had already checked in!! I tried to explain to the guy that I can't possible be checked in as I am standing here tyring to get my room info. The guy then tried to offer us his "personal" travel trailer at the same rate as a cabin because all the cabins where full and he was double booked!

Overall this was a horrible experience! My husband and I tried to find a hotel in Ashford on a Friday night with no reservation, what a chore that was. We eventually got a room at the Nisqually Lodge for cheaper then the cabin was going to be.

There are many other cabin rentals in the area that are much nicer for the same price if not cheaper.

Room Tip: Total Dump! Do not go here. The owner is an idiot and can't even keep his reservations straight...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vegetable09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashford
Alexander's Lodge
Whittaker's Motel and Historic Bunkhouse
Copper Creek Inn
Copper Creek Inn
#2 of 3 in Ashford

Been to Gateway Inn & Cabins? Share your experiences!