“GOOD QUALITY ACCOMMODATION” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Foxhills

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Foxhills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ottershaw
Exeter, United Kingdom
“GOOD QUALITY ACCOMMODATION”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

I stayed here with family because it was convenient for a family funeral. Not quite what I'd expected from the website, Foxhills is very much a "resort" rather than a hotel. We stayed in the Lyne House accommodation block which is one of a number of separate blocks of accommodation in this sprawling resort. Rooms were of very good quality and I would be happy to stay there again.

We came by train and had to use taxis to and from the church, relatives' house and station and this was very expensive. The taxis were booked by the hotel and a short journey of about 3 miles cost us £16 one way!! So I would recommend that you drive here.

When we arrived we went for a walk around the complex. We'd taken our swimming costumes, but the only pool we could use as residents was outdoor and felt rather "exposed". We went looking for the brasserie to book an evening meal. The brochure in the hotel represented this as the place to go for a casual family meal. In fact it was next to another outdoor pool and was more like a cafe than a brasserie, shutting at 6pm!

Meals in the restaurant were too gourmet for our tastes, starters around £12 and mains around £25. We opted for the basic room service menu and were pleasantly surprised.

Breakfast is a buffet, pretty good, although on the second morning we ate at 8.45am and the staff were clearing the tables around us, so we took this as a sign that we needed to go, even though breakfast is served up until 10am. Service wasn't good in the restaurant for breakfast unless you are particularly pushy.

Overall the service was great, very pleasant staff. After the funeral, we returned for a quick tea of warm scones before setting off to our relatives' house for dinner. A table had been reserved by the fire, which was very welcome.

More of a golf hotel/sports complex than a hotel, although I can imagine the main house would be lovely for a wedding or similar celebration.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FoxhillsSurrey, Front Office Manager at Foxhills, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Susan,

I am sorry to hear that your stay here at Foxhills was not to your satisfaction. I would also like to apologise for the confusion regarding the swimming facilities; all Residents of the Resort are entitled to full use of the facilities during their stay, allowing you to experience Foxhills from the perspective of a temporary Member of the Club. This includes our luxury £5 million Health Spa, 4 swimming pools both indoor & outdoor, 3 unique restaurants, 3 Championship golf courses, tennis & squash facilities, state-of-the-art gym, outdoor running & nature trail, along with access to over 40 fitness classes and complete facilities for the children as well. Foxhills isn’t just a hotel; we pride ourselves in being a Family Resort & our aim is to cater for all.

I am also disappointed with the feedback regarding your experience in the Manor Restaurant during Breakfast and I can assure you that this is not reflective of the usual standards of service that we provide on a continual basis. In response to the staff clearing the tables upon your arrival, I would like to take the opportunity to point out that the majority of our residents aim to check out of the Club in the mornings, therefore the majority of our residents arrive in the restaurant from as early as 6am, it isn’t until around 8.30am that the number of diners begin to decrease. This consequently is a prime time for staff to begin clearing tables to maintain the standards of cleanliness throughout the Restaurant for our other morning diners. However, if you felt that staff were more attentive at cleaning tables than attending to you as a customer we can only apologise and this will be something we’ll pass on to the relevant department for them to address further.

I can assure you that we do take your comments on board and we are extremely grateful for your feedback. I hope that you will return to Foxhills in the near future so that we have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Kindest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Guildford, Surrey, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

Recently treatted my husband to a 24 golf stay at Foxhills, with some friends. Its a really lovely place -very resort like - and careful to think about all the different users and what they might like. The staff bend over backwards to try and make sure you have a good stay and there are lots of different areas and activities to take advantage of, with or without children. The men managed a very enjoyable round of golf on the Longcross, while we ladies lazed away in the spa with some treatments. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and retired to our rooms around midnight. We played tennis the next day and left regretfully at lunchtime. Its not cheap but then you don't get all the extras in this kind of place for nothing - it was worth it, believe me

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FoxhillsSurrey, General Manager at Foxhills, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
We’re so glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here at Foxhills and were fortunate enough to experience most areas within the Resort during your stay. We thank you for taking the time to give your feedback; we will distribute your positive response to the relevant heads of departments to ensure our levels of service are kept high. We hope you left feeling better than when you arrived and we look forward to welcoming you back to Foxhills in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

My friend and I booked a spa weekend at Foxhills and it certainly lived up to our expectations! Check in was straightforward & our room was lovely and had everything you would need. Breakfast was beautiful and we had dinner included in our package. Dinner choices were very limited but the main meal of beef was very enjoyable. Service in the restaurant was very good however at breakfast waitresses were keen to take your plate from you before you had finished.
The spa was amazing! We came home feeling so refreshed. All the spa facilities are brilliant and staff at the spa ensure you are relaxed and they do everything they can to assist you. Would certainly go back to Foxhills for a spa weekend!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah C
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Spa break at Foxhills. This year we have focused on improving the staff’s customer service training to enhance the guest experience, therefore it is lovely to see that this training is worthwhile and I will be sure to pass this onto the Spa team to congratulate their efforts. I will also pass on your comments regarding the Restaurant to the relevant departments to ensure we take your review onboard, as a means to improving our service for future diners.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

Admittedly I have not stayed at this hotel but I went for a close friends wedding reception in September 2012 and was blown away.Fantastic staff, incredible surroundings and fabulous food. 10 out of 10.....a thoroughly enjoyable evening

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Congratulations to the happy couple, I’m delighted to hear that you had a lovely time celebrating here at Foxhills and that the service you received merited a 10/10. I will make sure to pass on your review to the relevant members of staff involved during friends special day. We hope to welcome you & your family back to the hotel soon. Kindest Regards, Jeff Condliffe.
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

Very efficient check in with very polite and professional staff.Room was very comfortable and well equipped and nice balcony(albeit small) overlooking the par3 course.Excellent dinner in the Manor restaurant ,good quality and very well presented accompanied by excellent service .Breakfast was equally impressive. Hotel grounds and golf courses are ,again, very impressive. Summary:excellent hotel in beautiful location would definitely stay again.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Anthony,

Thank you for such a lovely review, I am pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the team so they can see that their efforts are appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Jeff Condliffe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

A group of us spend a weekend at Foxhills each September and have good fun and games - golf, tennis, you name it. This year the weather was so amazing, we didn't even get to use the indoor facilities, but can't complain about that. As usual the rooms in Lyme House didn't disappoint and breakfast was really good. Our big disappointment this year is that the catering staff were so preoccupied with weddings and conferences, etc, that the evening meal in the Manor House restaurant really suffered. The menu was uninteresting and some of the main courses poorly executed. Choice was limited to three dishes, one of which was vegetarian, on the set menu.

Room Tip: Rooms in Lyme House are spacious and well fitted out.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Golfing_girl
Sandwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked this hotel online even though it was more expensive than others around the area but I had to attend a function and did not want to travel too far after. I arrived at reception to find that they did not have my booking even though I had email confirmation and it took about 15 minutes to reallocate me a room. I was told that the room they had given me was better than the one I was entitled to due to the price I had originally paid and on first impressions the room was nice. The problem was that the shower only ran cold water which was not great and when I mentioned this to reception they said that this was unusual and that the duty manager would be in touch to discuss, this did not happen. After the function I returned to the room but could not get the green light off in the hallway it was like sleeping next to a traffic light. I checked out the next morning and enquired why the duty manager had not made contact and got no response apart from she would look into it. At this point the lady tried to charge me an extra £20 and when I queried this she asked if I was part of some group. I was very surprised at the fact that a hotel with a room costing a £120 without breakfast with a shower without hot water and an online booking system that does not book you a room did not merit even a note from a manager. On the plus side the golf course was fantastic and the girls working at the golf club were brilliant.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank RMG61
FoxhillsSurrey, General Manager at Foxhills, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your recent stay here at Foxhills Club & Resort. Your feedback is invaluable to us as we are continually striving to ensure we meet our guest’s expectations.

I was concerned to read your comments in connection with your recent stay and upon investigation was told that the cause of the cold water was due to a fault with the boiler tripping, which sadly had to be repaired during your stay.

With regards to the green light on the fire escape sign, firstly the light itself that you describe is rather minute and is a safety precaution which indicates that the emergency lighting is in fact operational. We were informed that our Duty Manager Alasdair had spoken with you and came to put a sticker over the light; however with regards to the follow-up he might have felt that he had sufficiently addressed the problem and therefore no further action needed to be taken. We will however follow this up with him and will take on your comments and improve the break-down in communication for future visits.

I would very much like to have the opportunity of discussing the issues that you raised, in particular the online booking and would be most grateful if you would contact me at your earliest convenience by calling our Manor Reception.

I am sorry that on this occasion we did not afford you the standards on which we normally pride ourselves and I do hope that you will return so that we have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Kindest Regards,

Jeff Condliffe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottershaw
Great Fosters
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,444 reviews
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Coworth Park - Dorchester Collection

Been to Foxhills? Share your experiences!