I stayed here for 3 nights for business meetings. The place is designed for golfers but it can accommodate many interest groups from day trippers wanting a spa experience to board meetings of which there seemed to be a few.
Check in was swift but not overly friendly. I was asked if I wanted help lugging my luggage to the guest rooms. I was in the main house where the British Olympic cycle team stayed--there is a sign on each door telling you who stayed in your room.
Rooms are very spacious and you get an excellent night´s sleep as it is very quiet. Bathroom also spacious with tub and shower, but couldn´t get the shower stall open. A technician came and removed the rubber stopper which he said was "knackered" and promised to replace it the next day. He never did so there was a small gap under the door through which water poured out onto the floor. Several of my colleagues had similar problems. This does point to some management issues. Also, you are supposed to get underfloor heating in the rooms but none of us could figure out how to turn it on. In fact, you can´t adjust the heat in the room either, which is a major inconvenience. Some of us were too cold and had to call maintenance to adjust the heat and some too warm and kept windows open which isn´t energy efficient. Room was very clean and same day laundry service efficient but note that dry cleaning is a 2 day service.
WIFI for most part worked well, although there were times when it was extremely slow. Very limited number of TV channels, but there is a DVD player in the room. Minibar has very limited choice and there are no snacks in it. (You can order late night room service though if arriving on a late flight.)
I had afternoon tea upon arrival but was told if you wanted more than scones you needed to make arrangements in advance! Nowhere is this stated. They did manage to make us a few sandwiches though. Bar and lounge service was not very attentative with person in charging disappearing for large chunks of time so hard to order extra water, milk, etc. that had run out and ask for the bill.
Dinner in Manor Restaurant disappointing. It´s a bit stuffy and there are fancy choices on menu but portions are small and food quality is average. There are very few healthy veggie choices on the menu. Our group also had catered lunches and dinners which were better. Fruit, brownies and cookies in between sessions were especially good and home-made. We had arranged a barbecue for one evening which was in a delightful setting but the meat wasn´t great as it all had lots of heavy sauce on it. Again, there was green salad but few other healthy offerings like veggies other than potatoes. We had arranged hot and continental breakfast so had plenty of options.
The health club is excellent with a superb gym and two pools. Note however that posted opening times are for the building and that the fitness center closes 30 minutes earlier than stated at 9:30 PM. Strangely, swimmers can stay in the pool until 9:45 PM. This should be clarified.
Service was uneven. Some staff were kindness and helpfulness impersonated. (We arranged a birthday cake for a Brazilian colleague and they had two Portuguse speaking staff sing happy birthday!)Others just got on with the job and didn´t seem to have received much training. For example, the new night receptionist had no clue as to how to print guest documents I had been told to send to the receptionist e-mail. He told me what the head day receptionist had told me was wrong and that I needed to print e-mails from a business center computer. He didn´t know where they were though (I don´t think they have any) and that Iwould have to wait until the morning. The next morning the day receptionist told me that she had now given him the password to access reception e-mails. I think this hotel overly relies on the staff´s natural hospitability tendencies rather than providing them with proper training.
All in all, despite these niggles, this was one of the best business meeting venues I have been at in the London region and it cost about half of what we would have paid in London for less spacious and relaxing accommodation. It´s also easy to get to from Heathrow although there is no public transportation. (About 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Highly recommended by the AA Hotel Guide 2016, Foxhills in Ottershaw is the ideal getaway. Guests become members for the day, enjoying access to the award-winning healthspa and gym, fitness classes, par three 9 hole Manor golf course, three restaurants and bars including fine-dining in The Manor Restaurant, tennis and squash courts, and more. The ultimate playground, visit the historic Manor House to check in for your stay, before enjoying modern luxurious touches in your bedroom. Foxhills is also available for weddings, parties and conferences, with nine flexible event spaces on offer and complimentary WiFi throughout the resort for visitors and guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Foxhills reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Foxhills Hotel Ottershaw
- Foxhills Resort Ottershaw
- Foxhills Surrey/Ottershaw