“Great Meeting Facility”
Review of Foxhills

Foxhills
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ottershaw
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights for business meetings. The place is designed for golfers but it can accommodate many interest groups from day trippers wanting a spa experience to board meetings of which there seemed to be a few.

Check in was swift but not overly friendly. I was asked if I wanted help lugging my luggage to the guest rooms. I was in the main house where the British Olympic cycle team stayed--there is a sign on each door telling you who stayed in your room.

Rooms are very spacious and you get an excellent night´s sleep as it is very quiet. Bathroom also spacious with tub and shower, but couldn´t get the shower stall open. A technician came and removed the rubber stopper which he said was "knackered" and promised to replace it the next day. He never did so there was a small gap under the door through which water poured out onto the floor. Several of my colleagues had similar problems. This does point to some management issues. Also, you are supposed to get underfloor heating in the rooms but none of us could figure out how to turn it on. In fact, you can´t adjust the heat in the room either, which is a major inconvenience. Some of us were too cold and had to call maintenance to adjust the heat and some too warm and kept windows open which isn´t energy efficient. Room was very clean and same day laundry service efficient but note that dry cleaning is a 2 day service.

WIFI for most part worked well, although there were times when it was extremely slow. Very limited number of TV channels, but there is a DVD player in the room. Minibar has very limited choice and there are no snacks in it. (You can order late night room service though if arriving on a late flight.)

I had afternoon tea upon arrival but was told if you wanted more than scones you needed to make arrangements in advance! Nowhere is this stated. They did manage to make us a few sandwiches though. Bar and lounge service was not very attentative with person in charging disappearing for large chunks of time so hard to order extra water, milk, etc. that had run out and ask for the bill.

Dinner in Manor Restaurant disappointing. It´s a bit stuffy and there are fancy choices on menu but portions are small and food quality is average. There are very few healthy veggie choices on the menu. Our group also had catered lunches and dinners which were better. Fruit, brownies and cookies in between sessions were especially good and home-made. We had arranged a barbecue for one evening which was in a delightful setting but the meat wasn´t great as it all had lots of heavy sauce on it. Again, there was green salad but few other healthy offerings like veggies other than potatoes. We had arranged hot and continental breakfast so had plenty of options.

The health club is excellent with a superb gym and two pools. Note however that posted opening times are for the building and that the fitness center closes 30 minutes earlier than stated at 9:30 PM. Strangely, swimmers can stay in the pool until 9:45 PM. This should be clarified.

Service was uneven. Some staff were kindness and helpfulness impersonated. (We arranged a birthday cake for a Brazilian colleague and they had two Portuguse speaking staff sing happy birthday!)Others just got on with the job and didn´t seem to have received much training. For example, the new night receptionist had no clue as to how to print guest documents I had been told to send to the receptionist e-mail. He told me what the head day receptionist had told me was wrong and that I needed to print e-mails from a business center computer. He didn´t know where they were though (I don´t think they have any) and that Iwould have to wait until the morning. The next morning the day receptionist told me that she had now given him the password to access reception e-mails. I think this hotel overly relies on the staff´s natural hospitability tendencies rather than providing them with proper training.

All in all, despite these niggles, this was one of the best business meeting venues I have been at in the London region and it cost about half of what we would have paid in London for less spacious and relaxing accommodation. It´s also easy to get to from Heathrow although there is no public transportation. (About 30-45 minutes depending on traffic.)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank poleinahole1

Reviewed 14 May 2014

My husband & I stayed at the Foxhills Hotel & Spa at the weekend. This was our first time visiting this hotel. We had a lovely relaxing weekend, after a very stressful week. When we arrived we were told our room wouldn't be ready until 2pm. I asked to be informed if it could be ready sooner.?No sooner had we sat in the lounge for a coffee, when we were told our room was ready!! We were delighted!! We had a beautiful room ( No. 5). Lovely decor,Lovely bathroom,very clean,comfortable room, nice and airy!! We had a lovely lunch. My husband requested the same table for dinner as it had a lovely view. We went to the spa, both of us had treatments, which we really enjoyed. The spa team spent time talking to us, we came out feeling very relaxed! We had a very enjoyable dinner that evening, at the table we requested, the food was very good and a very good standard. We met the Restaurant Manager in the evening at the bar (Alex) he made us feel very welcome, he treated us to a drink after dinner, which we much appreciated! Alex welcomed us for breakfast and made sure we had our favourite table!! I cannot praise this hotel enough. The restaurant & bar staff made us feel so welcome. We have stayed at many spa/hotels in Surrey / East Sussex and I have to say this was the best!! We couldn't fault the service and thats coming from a very fussy couple!! Thank You again to Foxhills!!

Room Tip: We had Room No 5, which we loved!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary V
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have been to Foxhills spa a few times now and a regular spa goer all over the world. The thing i like most about Foxhills it is really is a full spa with all of the facilities. On arrival you get a robe, slippers and locker and depending on what treatment or package you book you can use the in door pool, indoor hot tub, indoor steam room, outdoor hot tub and out door sauna + full gym which are all very good and usually not too over crowded with loads of hotels guests. The treatment rooms are lovely and professional. Make sure when booking your treatment that you do classify exactly what you want and how long the treatments are for. I have found that to make this a good spa experience make sure you get a good therapist to do your treatment as that can make or break you day and in the past i had had some junior therapists there where the treatments where usually 5-10mins short as well. So on my last trip to Foxhills i asked for an experience therapist and had a 85 min full body deep tissue massage which was good. Be specific with areas you do or don't want touched as you will enjoy the experience more. (always double check your appointment time or give them your email to send confirmation too, as I have had my treatment time double booked once).
Following the treatment you are put in the relaxation room with teas and fruit which is nice. There is also a restaurant where you can have a meal following your treatments or if you choose a package that includes this.
Overall i like Foxhills and will go back there as i think it offers a real 'day spa' experience and full treatment list of everything you could think. Lovely grounds and surrounding that you can also play golf at and stay in the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2014

A small group of us stayed one night on a golf break. Both courses are excellent, with the Longcross marginally the better of the two. Still rather boggy despite some drier recent weather - I would be cautious about playing here in winter. Accommodation is of a high standard and the whole complex gives a pleasant feel. Dinner in Bar XIX was decent & service was generally positive & helpful - it was a Sunday night & if they had run out of a particular dish, they made every effort to find an alternative. Drinks & snacks were on the pricey side. Lunch was the only disappointment - £4:95 for an indifferent sandwich.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others; I think these are on the ground floor of the outside block but I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was a birthday treat for my family of 7 children and 8 adults. We arrived traumatised as limo booked to take us had failed to arrive. The staff in the hotel provided champagne and drinks for the children having been warned in advance of our arrival. The afternoon tea was fantastic, nothing too much trouble, and rivalled the Dorchester which could learn a thing or two about an afternoon tea which was great value for money. We visited the Spa for a nail treatment - this was okay, nice surroundings etc but the two beauticians did not want to engage with us and were just there to do the job. Result okay but one beautician certainly needed a bit more training. However this did not detract from a lovely afternoon and great waiting staff.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Beautiful surroundings and fabulous rooms (newly refurbished rooms low 20s to 39 I think) with every possible amenity looking out on to pretty pool courtyard. Staff generally pleasant and helpful. Obviously great for golfers but the spa was really nice too for non players. XIX bar restaurant excellent for lunch. Would've definitely been a 5 star review but for the restaurant - staff nice enough but food is overly pretentious, in minute portions and took forever to arrive. Maybe they need to simplify their menu and take more care to stagger bookings. Apart from that it's a fabulous place and would definitely go again.

Room Tip: See main review for recently refurbished rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue N
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on a spa package for the last part of our honeymoon to relax and treat ourselves before returning to normality. The location is spectacular, the staff are very helpful and friendly without being overbaring. The spa is fantastic and our treatments were dreamy. The facilities are great - with indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis. The spa garden is pretty with bushes providing privacy for sunbathing and relaxing on the lawn. The restaurant was lovely although the food was a little too salty but thats purely a personal preference. Our room, a garden room, was excellent. The size was great and the bathroom was amazing. Huge 2 person bath, massive walk in shower and heated flooring. Would definitely recomment this place as a superb spa retreat for couples.

• Stayed: April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ottershaw
Great Fosters
#2 of 4 in Weybridge
De Vere Wotton House
De Vere Wotton House
#1 of 8 in Dorking

Been to Foxhills? Share your experiences!