“Coffee & cake with a view”
Review of Flava Coffee Co

Flava Coffee Co
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Gourock
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Popped in for coffee and cake with my boyfriend and mum. Tasty selection of coffees and hot Choc is fab. Great selection of cakes and a view of the Clyde. Great Saturday afternoon

2  Thank Suzie G
There are newer reviews for Flava Coffee Co

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Wonderful views over the River Clyde - friendly and attentive staff - great service - extensive menu.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Great selection of food inc specials, freshly cooked, served by attentive, friendly, welcoming staff, in a warm buzzing atmosphere with an amazing selection of cocktails. Another great Saturday night at Flava.

Mains, sides, desserts and several rounds of cocktails for four people all for £120, great value for money. View is beautiful too. Worth a visit very soon.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Ive been here numerous times and no doubt will be again, but in my opinion is that it is moving away from what it originally was, that is, a relaxed place for a coffee, quiet drink and/or a light bite to eat, into a noisy cocktail bar with low focus on food or environment.

Positives generally based on previous visits;

Location/Views - has parking, views, train station and other shops and bars nearby.
Staff - always friendly and hard working
Menu Food & Drink: - good cafe options, (cakes/snacss etc) but also a few mains, also have smoothies and milkshakes etc.
Atmosphere - relaxed and informal, can go day or night for drinks.

Negatives based on recent visit:

Cost of Food, previously I felt it was OK and worth it as ususally got a snack or the deli board (which is gone from menu now unfortunatley) this time went for mains, it was approx £8 for a chicken salad, not bad generally but when it came it was not good. You could tell it was shop bought salad bag, with a grand total of 4 very mini chicken goujons layed flat on the plate - kids portions - my very hungry, adult, dining partner was very glad to have ordered the side of fries despite having expected a protein based salad!. Not worth it.

At the upstairs bar the milk was stored out of the fridge, various cartons dotted behind the bar. I wouldn't have seen this had it not been for the unfortunate seat ( to the side of the bar where the hatch goes up - it shouldn't be there IMO - horrible seat). As far as I know milk it meant to be stored chilled but I geniunley could be wrong.

Window flowers dying and in some very grimey water - not pleasant to have to look at.

Constant racket of the ice crusher for cocktails and smoothies (this is a personal dislike, see preivous reviews) - its a small bar for it being an afternoon, its was far to noisy to chat without raising voice with the crusher going the whole time, could the smoothie/cocktail orders not be made in the kitchen up to a certain time of night I wonder.(is anywhere not a cocktail bar these days?)

Service time - it gets very busy and on this occasion the staff were rushed off their feet and drinks orders were backing (again we could see the dockets due to our seat) , it took us about 20 minutes for our drinks to come just due to the backlog - we could see them constantly processing orders so the were not being slow, just not enough of them for the number of customers.

On this visit we couldn't wait to leave, it was just chaos and not really ideal for the quiet lunch and chat we had hoped for, we couldn't hear ourselves think, plus the wait for drinks had annoyed us.Then we went downstairs to exit and it was full of pensioners eating scones and very quiet!

For me to like this place again it needs to strike the balance between the chaos and noise of upstairs and the over 65's high-tea feeling downstairs.

I will go back as it is local to me, but when it was new(er) I think it was more the kind of place you would have went and not been disappointed, now its hit or miss.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Sat down in here last week and waited for 25 mins without anyone approaching to take even a drinks order never mind food. When we approached the staff we were told abruptly to "be patient". Walked right out so cant even comment on the food. Waste of half an hour. Went to the Cafe Continental instead.

9  Thank Vesper1