“Is this really the best gourock got to offer?” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Spinnaker Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gourock
New Galloway, United Kingdom
“Is this really the best gourock got to offer?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Fabulous location , view amazing , staff friendly but not completely sure whats on offer. Saw this place on a trip out to Greenock so decided to try it on way home , menu looks fab except it says special of the day n was told they don't do special of the day . Partner had garlic mushrooms with garlic dip they were ok for frozen mushrooms n I had deep fried cambert again lovely but cud of done with an oat cake , then we had bacon n chicken pie , jacket n veg sauce in pie was a wee bit over cooked , the pie lid was cooked separate n microwaved n put on top, the rest was lovely esp the veg n it was fresh veg, I had fish n chip n peas , y do chefs , cooks over cook fish always turn the fryer down it was way over cooked n only the middle bit was edible , the chip were frozen chips shame , peas were good , was going to have dessert but was told I cud only have custard with cheesecake or fudge cake never heard anything so silly, anyway u can get 3 course for £11.99 so can u really grumble I say yes they make the prices n there bar drinks are expensive , I went on 6th of June around 5pm

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker. Sorry you didn't enjoy your visit.
I've taken the time to review what members of staff where on when you visited the Spinnaker. One was a new start and another far more experienced. We try to offer a dish of the day (sometimes it does run out) every day. I also have never heard anything so silly as you could only get custard with your cheesecake or hot chocolate fudge cake. Sorry but if someone said this to you they should be embarrassed.
My prices are reasonable as far as I'm aware. I agree they are not Weatherspoon or Tesco prices but there are obvious reason for this. The Spinnaker is neither the most expensive establishment selling food / beverage or the cheapest in the west of Scotland. Thank you for pointing out you can get a 3 course meal for £11.99. Most customers only go for 2 courses as the portions are full/normal size and not cut down to save money. The pie top is cooked in the oven and not microwaved.
Thanks again for your feed back and coming into the Spinnaker during your visit to the area.
Tonight (Monday) pints of House Lager, Guest Ales, Tartan Special are £3.00. Double vodka/whisky/rum and a dash are £3.00 and there is free live acoustic music being performed by local artists. Free supper to all who attend is served at 10pm.
Quiz Night every Thursday is also free. £25 Spinny voucher to the winning team. Drink promo every Thursday also.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Greenock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

I can remember many good times in this venue, as a child my parents were friends with the owners and we spent many an evening here. Was so looking forward to taking my partner to it today, and was really disappointed. Prices are ridiculous for the Inverclyde area - twice the going price for a pint of lager. Vodka was watered down, and again well over the local price point. Starter combo on the menu was delicious, however was priced 'per person' which was not described at all on the menu, so when the bill came it was an unpleasant surprise. When questioned about it the girl serving the table was dismissive and unhelpful. Throughout the 90 minutes the 2 members of staff were generally inattentive and not friendly or welcoming at all - no smiles, no eye contact. No 'thank you' - bill was dropped on to the table with a 'sorry we don't have any mints' - not sure if this was intended to be sarcasm. Amazing childhood memories of happy times in The Spinny obliterated in one and a half hours - real shame. Hopefully I was just unlucky and they were having an off day, but I will never spend another penny in this establishment. I would recommend the local Premier Inn before this place, they at least spend a bit of time and money on staff training, prioritise customer service, and can identify when they've got it wrong with a customer and take action to correct it, which would have been so easily done and eliminated the need for this review.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Joe M
Sorry I didn't fully finish my reply.
Not too sure what I / my staff where actually meant to fix before you felt it necessary to put a negative review on about the Spinnaker.
Bo'ness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

My partner and I decided to eat here on Saturday afternoon (13.04.13) and we were lucky enough to get a table at the window so we could appreciate the view which is lovely. We chose fish and chips and chicken and leek pie for our mains and chocolate fudge cake with custard and toffee cheescake with cream. The price was £9.95 for two courses this is par for the course nowadays so more than happy to pay this. The staff, a young man and a very young looking girl were absolutely lovely however I think a wee bit of staff training could be in order here and that is not a criticism at all just good advice I think, as our desserts were forgotten about for 40 minutes and although this let our main course settle if we hadn't reminded them then we might have still been sitting at closing time! Also we had to catch their attention to order more drinks and to be really honest we only had two drinks each however we would have increased this quite happily to four if the waiter/waitress had came over to ask if we wanted something else to drink. The meals were lovely and the toffee cheescake was absolutely fabulous (worth the wait!) We would recommend this hotel to others and we will be back ourselves.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dunfermline
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

Being part of a football supporters group, we always book this hotel for a lunch before the match when playing at nearby Greenock. We are provided with the menu before leaving and phone our order (for approx. 30 meals) en route to the hotel. We are always made welcome by the friendly efficient staff. The excellent choice of food on offer, well cooked ,was served within 15 mins. of our arrival by the hard working staff. It is a visit that our group always look forward to and we will certainly be back again next season.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Armadale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

We've stayed twice at this lovely wee hotel now and are booked in for Saturday 4th of May.
The hotel has a real homely feel, really nice bar, good selection of beers and a fine menu of bar food. We enjoy really good fish and chips and the Spinnaker does a great job.
The staff are hard working and try to accommodate all needs, sure the place gets a wee bit hectic at times, that in my view is the sign of a popular bar.
The room was fine with an amazing sea view, really good Scottish breakfast to set up your day.
Looking forwards to my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
2 Thank Mike K
Inverkip, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We ate here as a family of 4 about 1 month ago (2 teenage daughters 18 and 16 yrs old), had excellent food, with excellent service in a lovely setting, so much so, when deciding yesterday where to eat out, we all opted for The Spinnaker again.

Same great service, same great food, was a busy Sunday evening and we didn't wait too long to be served or for our food, which was served politely, friendly and with a smile.

Good pub grub, with all the things you expect to see and want to see on a menu.

Staff are a credit to the owners.

Have recommended to friends and family and they all say ' oh i haven't been there for years' and ' I forgot that was there',

Looking forward to many more meals at The Spinnaker.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Hi. Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker. I really appreciate the postive and 'nice to read' comments you have made. I hope you'll visit again and have as equally a good experience. If there's anything you thing would / could improve the Spinnaker please let me know.
Again thank you.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Spinnaker Hotel a few months ago. It was recommended to us by my sister and brother in law who have eaten there frequently. The food was great and staff were lovely. We have just recently bought a flat in Gourock because of the outstanding views and can't wait for this very friendly hotel to become our local.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your postive feedback. I'm delighted to read your sister and brother in laws recommendation was one you also enjoyed. If there's anything you think would help make any future visits to the Spinnaker even more enjoyable please let me know. Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your time at the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gourock
Tontine Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Glenmorag Hotel
Glenmorag Hotel
#10 of 11 in Dunoon

Been to The Spinnaker Hotel? Share your experiences!