“Back on form”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gourock
Scotland
“Back on form”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Hadn't visited this local hotel to eat for a long while as last few visits were extremely poor and disappointing. Most recent visit last week was a very pleasant surprise-I do believe The Spinnaker is back on form-good choice of pub food,well prepared and served with a smile.
Will be back.
Haven't stayed here so cannot comment on accommodation,

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank visit09

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I took my elderly in-laws to the Spinnaker. They are both frail and need wheelchair access so it was ideal for them. The service was very good, and the food was good. The fish-cakes in particular were very good. A good visit.

Room Tip: Good wheelchair access.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cairokid
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Hello and thank you for your review. I'm pleased to hear your in-laws accessed the hotel without too much difficulty. Your comments about the food and service are appreciated and noted. If you have any suggestions or thoughts about anything I could do to improve your experience while at the hotel please let me know.
Gourock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Loved going to the spinnaker every few months to treat my family for going out for tea always had been a great place to eat with home cooked foods and good atmosphere but on my previous few visits I have not been impressed with quality off food but decided to go back and give it another go very poor service although was quite busy but not overly waited ages on drinks order being brought over then a good fourty minutes on main being served I can understand in peak periods you need to be patient and wait but when food finally came out it was served to another table and when they realised the mistake our food was brought out only to be cold and the burger that I asked for with no sauce or salad on it came with sauce and salad on it for my son it's a treat every so often to be able to go out for tea but will not be returning here again in a hurry as service and quality off food was a big let down.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Karen M
SpinnyGourock, Owner at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
I'm disappointed to read your negative view of the Spinnaker. I'm sorry it wasn't as enjoyable as you had hoped. At busy times I agree food can take along time to be served and it states this on the menu. We have a small kitchen but in my opinion all of the staff in the kitchen work very hard and do everything possible to get the customers food out quickly and equally important served how it should be. From what you have written this doesn't appear to be the case. I hope you pointed this out at the time. I apologise if it was myself that you spoke to and I wasn't able to sort the problem at the time. No member of staff fed any complaint back to me from what I can recall.

I thing tripadvisor can be a useful source of information but equally can be unbalanced in the way some people use it. You have complimented a similar premises to mine located not too far away from my business and if it merited it that is justified. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing but I'm sorry your never used it to compliment the Spinnaker - as your opinion was at one time 'Use to be good food'. In my opinion it still is.
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Just returned from a weekend at this hotel. Its very homely and the staff are very friendly. The food is excellent and reasonably priced. We stayed in room 6, the view across the clyde is beautiful. There are some great local bars just a 10 minute walk away or £2.50 in a taxi. Its a good central location to get to various other places such as largs which has a lovely marina! Definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
SpinnyGourock, Manager at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Hello and Happy New Year to you.
Thank you for taking the time to review the Spinnaker Hotel. I meant to acknowledge your feedback before now. Sorry.
Thank you for the positive feedback about the hotel and its location. It's easy to forget how much there is to do when it's on your doorstep every day.
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I had to wait 64 years to get a steak pie this good. Food was simple but very good and I really enjoyed it. I was also impressed by the young staff who were helpful, friendly, polite well spoken and industrious.
I would stay there again very happily.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank David J
Thank you for taking the time to post about the Spinnaker. The positive feedback is appreciated. The steak pie is one of the most popular dishes (as I'm sure it will be in many places) but its comforting to hear customers complimenting it. Thank you.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had made a booking for 2 nights in a family room and had paid for it online (or so we thought). When we arrived the family room had been sold earlier in the day and all we could get was one double room with ensuite and one single bed room way down the end if the hall with a communal bathroom for our 12 year old daughter. With no other options in mind we took the two rooms and I must say the guy was not only extremely apologetic about what had happened he was very generous in offering us quite a reduced rate. We then found out they had no rooms for the following night! Again the young guy went out of his way to cll around and get us somewhere else to stay for the second night.

The room, although really quite small was well equipped, with tasteful decor. Bed was comfortable. The communal bathroom just outside our daughter's room was huge and all lovely and clean, and even though the pub is directly underneath the rooms we did not hear any carried noises from the patrons.

Breakfast was a little hit and miss. The waitress was either shy or awkward and not at all forthcoming as to what we could order off the included (in tarrif) menu. The different components of food came out a bit strange on separate plates and all in all we just found the service and presentation of the breakfast a bit of a let down to what was fantastic service the night before.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aussiegreta
SpinnyGourock, Manager at The Spinnaker Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for reviewing the Spinnaker Hotel.
Sorry again about the mix up with your reservation.
I'm grateful for your comments about Nicholas (my son) who tried to make the best of not an ideal situation. Thank you again for your tolerance and understanding at the time. I know you stayed at another local hotel on your 2nd night. I hope if you come back to Gourock you'll consider the Spinnaker again.
Breakfast service usually goes well and should be pretty straight forward. Sorry it wasn't. I suspect I had relatively new (and possibly shy) staff on. I will go over the breakfast menu with all my staff so they understand what's available and also how it should be served and presented.
Thank you.
Reviewed 24 August 2013

5 star service ..... nothing to much bother ..... the waitress attention to customers is brilliant and the food on a 3 course meal that me and my wife ordered was exceptional 1 course after another wassublime .. i raise a glass to the whole hotel as i live in paisley and would drive past a hundred eateries just to sit in the lovely atmosphere of the spinnaker hotel .. hats of to anyone connected with this establishment.:-)

• Stayed August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gourock
Tontine Hotel
Knockderry House Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kilcreggan

Been to The Spinnaker Hotel? Share your experiences!