“A very warm Scottish welcome”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Coatbridge B&B and Inns
Dover, Kent
“A very warm Scottish welcome”
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have stayed at The Grange on countless occasions during 2012 on business, and also for a pre-Christmas break with my partner. I have always felt very much at home, and have been very well looked after by Euan, Zoe and the whole team. It's a lovely, friendly, comfortable hotel, bar and restaurant, and I would choose the Grange anytime rather than these lifeless hotel chains. The rooms, a number if which have been recently refurbished are very comfortable, and the bar and restaurant is very welcoming, and the food is absolutely fantastic. During 2012 I stayed for many, many weeks at the Grange, and I didn't eat anywhere else - I didn't need to - the food has always been beautiful, there is a lovely menu, with a fantastic selection of beautiful dishes, and on top of that the talented chefs are always happy to prepare something different for me - I have never been disappointed. If you are in that part of Scotland and you want a homely, comfortable, welcoming place to stay with fantastic food and a lovely atmosphere, The Grange is the place to stay. Looking forward to my forthcoming stays there in 2013!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jumpingjackbunz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Where do I start! Rooms are awful, tiny, cramped, unclean, mould in shower, heating can't be switched off, traffic noise, noise from what sounds like a washing machine running all night, uncomfortable bed, stained quilt, wasp and fly problem in bathroom and horrible lingering smell. The restaurant is standard pub cooking bit bland and over priced for what it is. Staff are rude and unhelpful and there is noone around at night to deal with emergencys. Breakfast is not a full breakfast at all it is fatty bacon, pathetic looking sausages, a rubber egg, microwaved beans and soggy toast with a square of half melted butter. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY AT HOME!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank LornaGayle

Travellers are raving about these Coatbridge hotels

Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My husband & myself live quite close to The Grange hotel & eat here regularly. The food is always lovely with good size portions. I would recommend the steak pie, it's amazing! The down side is the service which is apalling! The waitress who normally seats us just puts our menus down & walks off without a word or a smile. The staff could seriously use some training. I never leave a tip for this reason. Its a shame as I said the food is lovely.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Katie609074
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

stayed for one night and that was too long. the staff were very helpful on check in and this is not a critism of their service
the room was very small with the double bed taking up half the space even when pushed up against the wall, whilst the bedding was clean the room smelt of stale smoke and the cushions on the bed were torn.
there was mucky hand / foot prints on the wall and the carpet was in need of a shampoo at the least. The bathroom was tiny but clean and the towels spotless but in need of some conditioner I've used softer sandpaper.
After a very poor nights sleep due to an uncomfortable bed and traffic noise I was looking forward to a shower but after waiting for 10 minutes for the water to warm up I gave in and headed down for breakfast which was edible but nothing to write home about 3 slices of fatty bacon, 2 deep fried sausages and an egg

Room Tip: book another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank paula c
corby
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Have recently stayed there for 5 nights!!!!!! OMG where do I start - staff lovely and friendly so cannot fault them but my god they need to teach the cleaner to clean!!!!!! Was given the key to our 'room' and as we where staying for that length of time was hoping for a decent one but it was very small with double bed pushed up against a wall which was full of dirty finger prints and marks, smelled of stale smoke, the 'decorative' cushions on the bed where ripped, the bed was the most uncomfortable thing ever, kept rolling into the middle, on a good point the bedding was clean and the towels, which were replaced everyday where very white, the room itself was grubby, massive cobwebs hanging from corners of the window and lightshade, dust about an inch thick was on top of the mirror and around the dado rail, the bowl in which the tea and coffee where placed was filthy, under the bed was disgusting, I dont actually think it has ever been hoovered!!!! I have since heard they actually take in emergency homeless, dont know how true this is, maybe thats the reason why it is so grubby, was very disappointed, I know we didnt pay alot for the room, £50 per room per night but even so I expected it to be a touch better, they really shoudnt rent out to rooms to paying guests as they wouldnt even be 1 * in my eyes. The breakfast was ok, although again was disappointed as was expected a full scottish breakfast, black pudding, tattie scone etc but was greeted with a small 'english' one and depending on who cooked it that day would determine the portion you got!!!! The food in the restaurant was lovely, where it is lovely and clean (think they seem to concentrate more on that part of the hotel rather than the rooms).. I couldnt wait to leave and I will defo not be back to stay and in my eyes they need to totally refurbish the rooms or stop renting them out as b & b rooms. I hope the owners read these reviews and take in what people are saying!! - my advice is to STAY AWAY until they sort it out!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carnegie49
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed the two course for 7.95 meal which is good value for money however it wasnt so good I'd rush back. It was very quiet on our visit so lack of atmosphere as we were the only diners there despite this the staff werent very attentive and service was slow. The waitress seemed to prefer playing with her mobile phone than ensuring we werent fed up waiting. We were also slightly overcharged on kids meal but didnt bother to complain as just happy to leave in the end up. If you're looking for an average but value for money meal then the Grange is worth a stop.

• Stayed April 2012
Fraserburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Thought would give the Grange a try on a visit to hometown, was first and last time!! the saving grace of the grange was the fact that the breakfast was good and the staff were lovely, but the room !!!!! OMG where to start, was supposed to be a double, well maybe for very small folk the bed was hard up against the wall with maybe 5 - 6 ins space to get around it, the en-suite was a converted cupboard, and although the fittings were clean, first use loo the flush came away in my hand, hubby went for shower (nice but small corner one) and the door slid completely off, furniture very old and scruffy ,the light on ceiling had the most amazing cobwebs and the most disappointing of all was on inspection, the pillows were fit for the bin and the continental quilt was not much better so I would advise to APPROACH WITH CAUTION!!! you have been warned. Needless to say we wont be staying there again, shame really as it is very handy for moterway for both Glasgow and Edinburgh

Room Tip: not really no lift and the floors creak,all the rooms face to the front
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lizmcleman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coatbridge
Mondo Hotel
#3 of 3 in Cumbernauld
Dakota Eurocentral
Dakota Eurocentral
#1 of 9 in Motherwell

Been to The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!