“very friendly”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Comrie
Fife, United Kingdom
“very friendly”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

All the staff were very friendly,it was very busy when we were there and the staff coped very well,all visitors were treated with the same respect as the locals,one young lady ( bar staff ) helped us to get a taxi even though she had to phone around several places to get the taxi,she was very helpful,Iwould recommend this hotel .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
GB
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The Royal is a lovely hotel in a really great setting but I've been going there for some time now and it could be so much better. The food is such a disappointment, very ordinary and uninspiring and I also think the ambience could be improved - sometimes the atmosphere in the lounge bar is plain dull. Up until now I think it's the surroundings thats encouraged me to keep going back but after tonight's meal, I'm finished. I need a bit more effort for my hard earned money.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank LPSE
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is in a very lovely, older building. It has charm and gentility. There is clearly a loyal guest base, as several departing guests were noted to be well known to reception staff. The staff was warm and engaging and quite personable. The building might benefit from a freshen-up, but it was not by any means less than comfortable. The bed was an interesting piece of furniture, as were the other appointments in the room. It was comfortable, with generous pillows and coverings. Towels were good-sized, shower good-sized and water pressure and temperature were more than adequate.
We dined in the hotel, and the food was good and the staff were kind and apologetic. However, the best I can say is that the staff responded well to a problem situation. We presented for our 7 PM dinner reservations. Our drinks and meal order was fairly promptly taken. The starter was served fairly promptly, and was quite good. Then we waited for a long time for our dinner to be served. We were served only after we inquired - and then my companion was served a meal other than what he had ordered. By the time we ate, it was so late we did not comment. And again, the food was excellent. We received complimentary dessert as well as other accommodations due to the error, and I do have to emphasize that the meal from start to finish was excellent.

Redditch
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Royal Hotel is a gem. It's old and quite small and slightly old fashioned, but the rooms are comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. The bar is well stocked and welcoming and the dining room menu is not cheap but good. The wine list is however simply overpriced.
I can however recommend the breakfasts.
All in all it has an air of gently fading grandeur and seems to be untroubled by change. It's not inexpensive but it is a relaxing place to be for a break in the beautiful Perthshire countryside.

Room Tip: We overlooked the square but the room was cool and quiet
glasgow
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our third visit to The Royal Hotel in Comrie and we're certainly not disappointed. The rooms are lovely, in keeping with the age of the building. Staff are very friendly, helpful and efficient . Breakfast choices are varied, well cooked and most enjoyable when served by cheerful helpful staff. We had dinner in the restaurant which was delicious too and very good value. On leaving the hotel I left my toiletries bag in the bathroom which the hotel staff posted to me immediately. Many thanks to them for doing so, it was very much appreciated. We will certainly be returning to the hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: All rooms are of a high standard. We have never been disappointed with any room we have had.
1 Thank mckays
Comrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Royal is such a nice hotel, furnishings are tasteful, a really nice place to have a drink where the staff are fantastic...but the food is so so disappointing. We have just had a bar meal which was uninspiring to be kind. The chef should be embarrassed to put the dishes we had in front of paying customers. The kedgeree although marginally tasty had obviously been re-heated and the tiny bit of smoked haddock in the dish was over-cooked the rest was conspicuous by it's absence, the venison (at £17!) was over done with some watery cabbage and dauphinoise potato done to a crisp, the loin of pork should have been thinly sliced and tender but actually could have been used to re-sole your shoe. The sole was over cooked and the vegetables were indescribable. We were hoping this would be third time lucky but unfortunately not. We will not return to eat here unless the manager gets a grip of his catering.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 495Pip
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Returning to Comrie after some 50 years, I found the perfect place for my wife and I to stay whilst I re-lived some of the best years of my young life; those spent with my grandparents in Ben y Hone cottage @ 21 Dundas Street.

The hotel was comfortable in the extreme, with excellent staff and a superb kitchen.

I stayed for two nights with two other sasanach colleagues before my wife joined me for a long weekend and quite simply the hotel didn't put a foot wrong.

During the week we tried most options on the menu and each time the food was of a high standard, full of flavours and perfectly served.

Even breakfast showed the dedication of this kitchen, with very tasty scrambled egg with smoked salmon, fresh and sharp grapefruit halves or that full English (or will that become a full Scottish in a few weeks?) Plenty of fresh fruit, prunes, yoghurt, cereals and their home made honeyed orange marmalade turning ordinary brown toast into a very special and unique end to the meal.

None of the dinner options was less than perfect and I specifically recall the light meal of macaroni cheese with salad and the full main course of chicken breast served with a stunning sauce accompanied by mixed vegetables and cauliflower cheese.

We drank the house white Sauvignon blanc, a pleasingly dry and flavoursome standard.

Deserts were all tried and none disappointed, but my favourite was the creme brulee!

The bed in Room 9 was wonderfully soft and comforting.

We were lucky to be there when the Comrie Pipe Band marched through the village and formed up below our bedroom window before playing an hour of enthralling and intricate music; very special.

Room 9 was £105 per night (20/21/22 June 2014) and we felt happy paying that considering the comfort of the public rooms, the quality of the food, the delightful staff and that bed!

We will be back!

Finally, beer drinkers please note that the Comrie brewed "Earthquake" bitter is really nice!

Room Tip: Room 9 is a good sized bedroom, four poster bed, large bathroom, comfortable settee, Very comfortabl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nick M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comrie
The Four Seasons Hotel
Ardeonaig Hotel
Ardeonaig Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ardeonaig
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!