“Simply a beautiful hotel in wonderful Perthshire”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Comrie
Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel, The Netherlands
“Simply a beautiful hotel in wonderful Perthshire”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This July, I visited the Royal Hotel together with my son (17 years). It was a spur of the moment decision as the original plan was to stay at the Dunkeld Hilton. But the Hilton proved to be too large and too impersonal for my taste, so we changed tack. The Royal Hotel was recommended to us by the owners of the Four Seasons Hotel and this recommendation was spot on.

The Royal Hotel is the sort of hotel that I really enjoy: small and personal, yet of great quality. It is situated in the heart of Comrie in an old building that has been decorated with real taste. The room was a bit small but very lovely furnished and with a brilliant bathroom. Free Wifi is provided, very important these days, especially for my son, who can't live without internet.

We had dinner in the restaurant and this was really good,of great quality, as was breakfast.

Room Tip: It is a very quiet hotel, so I don't think it will make a big difference what room you'll be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Charming, very clean hotel with personable staff and good food but it was not value for money compared to other hotels we have stayed in. Whilst dressing gowns in the bathroom and home made biscuits were a nice touch, the room was very small , the shower head did not attach properly, there was no proper dressing table and a request for soft poached eggs resulted in hard poached eggs. Whilst these appear to be small issues we expected more for £150 per night and were a little disappointed. The adjoining bar/village pub which belonged to the hotel had more atmosphere than the Hotel lounge bar as well.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CJJones3
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

All the staff were very friendly,it was very busy when we were there and the staff coped very well,all visitors were treated with the same respect as the locals,one young lady ( bar staff ) helped us to get a taxi even though she had to phone around several places to get the taxi,she was very helpful,Iwould recommend this hotel .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GB
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The Royal is a lovely hotel in a really great setting but I've been going there for some time now and it could be so much better. The food is such a disappointment, very ordinary and uninspiring and I also think the ambience could be improved - sometimes the atmosphere in the lounge bar is plain dull. Up until now I think it's the surroundings thats encouraged me to keep going back but after tonight's meal, I'm finished. I need a bit more effort for my hard earned money.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank LPSE
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is in a very lovely, older building. It has charm and gentility. There is clearly a loyal guest base, as several departing guests were noted to be well known to reception staff. The staff was warm and engaging and quite personable. The building might benefit from a freshen-up, but it was not by any means less than comfortable. The bed was an interesting piece of furniture, as were the other appointments in the room. It was comfortable, with generous pillows and coverings. Towels were good-sized, shower good-sized and water pressure and temperature were more than adequate.
We dined in the hotel, and the food was good and the staff were kind and apologetic. However, the best I can say is that the staff responded well to a problem situation. We presented for our 7 PM dinner reservations. Our drinks and meal order was fairly promptly taken. The starter was served fairly promptly, and was quite good. Then we waited for a long time for our dinner to be served. We were served only after we inquired - and then my companion was served a meal other than what he had ordered. By the time we ate, it was so late we did not comment. And again, the food was excellent. We received complimentary dessert as well as other accommodations due to the error, and I do have to emphasize that the meal from start to finish was excellent.

Redditch
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Royal Hotel is a gem. It's old and quite small and slightly old fashioned, but the rooms are comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. The bar is well stocked and welcoming and the dining room menu is not cheap but good. The wine list is however simply overpriced.
I can however recommend the breakfasts.
All in all it has an air of gently fading grandeur and seems to be untroubled by change. It's not inexpensive but it is a relaxing place to be for a break in the beautiful Perthshire countryside.

Room Tip: We overlooked the square but the room was cool and quiet
glasgow
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our third visit to The Royal Hotel in Comrie and we're certainly not disappointed. The rooms are lovely, in keeping with the age of the building. Staff are very friendly, helpful and efficient . Breakfast choices are varied, well cooked and most enjoyable when served by cheerful helpful staff. We had dinner in the restaurant which was delicious too and very good value. On leaving the hotel I left my toiletries bag in the bathroom which the hotel staff posted to me immediately. Many thanks to them for doing so, it was very much appreciated. We will certainly be returning to the hotel in the near future.

Room Tip: All rooms are of a high standard. We have never been disappointed with any room we have had.
1 Thank mckays
Also consider these accommodations in or near Comrie
The Four Seasons Hotel
Murraypark Hotel
Murraypark Hotel
#1 of 3 in Crieff
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!