“One of the highest, most remote, and most...”
other traveller has booked this property
The picturesque, Hafod y Rhedrwydd
Cosy living room, with oil fired burner For those winter nights...
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The picturesque, Hafod y Rhedrwydd
Cosy living room, with oil fired burner
For those winter nights...
Light, bright and inviting farmhouse-style kitchen
Stunning Stanley oil fired range cooker
Kitchen features
View of the local ancient ruins
Family bathroom on the ground floor
Character double bedroom
View down the valley
Second double bedroom
Cosy pillows
Single bedroom
View of the stream from the window
Well, it is a Welsh cottage!
Hafod, standing in its own grounds
View of the cottage from a distance
The local countryside
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Max R
London, United Kingdom
“One of the highest, most remote, and most spectacularly located cottages Wales has to offer!”
Reviewed 17 May 2017 for a stay in May 2017
person found this review helpful

My wife and I booked in to Hafod y Rhedrwydd for 5 days and had such an amazing time. The cottage is one of the highest, most remote, and most spectacularly located cottages in Wales. The views are simply stunning! We did have exceptional luck with the weather too though, which remained sunny all week!
The cottage itself has everything you need to comfortably cook and entertain yourself after a long day's exploration in the National Park. Just remember that the generator powering the cottage's electricity runs on petrol and can burn through it relatively quickly. that said, when on, the mod-cons including the Wifi worked a treat, making it easy to research the following days walks and activities online and if you have Wifi Calling capability on your mobile, it also means you can easily make and receive calls from there. Useful, as this is otherwise not possible as there is no network coverage at all in the area.
As remote as you are, you are only ever 20-40 mins drive away from amazing places to eat, bike ride, buy souvenirs, learn to surf, kayak on lakes beneath Snowdon, or climb Snowdon itself.
I thoroughly recommend staying here and will definitely be returning again in the future.

Your age range 35-49
NoctigonM...
“We are still in awe of our experience at this cottage - without question we will be making efforts to return.”
Reviewed 14 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

Our party of 4 girls and one guy (me) were looking to take advantage of the bank May bank holiday weekend (4 days, 3 nights). Having done camping at many of the camp sites in Wales in the past we decided that a cottage would be a suitable upgrade - a real treat for me as I wish for the day I can have my own a cottage in the hills. Upon searching online my girlfriend had stumbled upon Hafod Y Rhedrwydd. It took little to convince the rest of the party that we had to have this for the bank holiday weekend. Much to my surprise I could see that there was availability, so without even taking payment from the rest of the party I pulled out the plastic and booked it there and then. The following two months until the booking were a long wait, however, during this time some of the others had noted that reviews were few and it was only a couple of weeks before our stay that fellow TripAdvisor user spaceibiza had left quite a scathing review of the cottage and its owners. Had we made the right decision to book Hafod Y Rhedrwydd? Oh yes...yes we had.

Upon booking the property we'd received further instructions on how to locate the cottage and also information on paying the fuel deposit. I was also introduced to one of the owners via email, who I will say is a thoroughly pleasant individual with lot of patience for people (I apologise for keeping you up at 11pm while you assisted us with locating your cottage). We sent the £100 fuel deposit and waited for the day of our arrival.

We had travelled several hundred miles from London and the journey took us maybe 7 or so hours. It was dark by the time we got there. As you may know, in the country there is no lighting and the majority of small roads are without catseyes. We ended up taking a wrong turning up a bumpy hill that really tested my clutch control. Upon reaching the top we realised we were in the wrong location. I relented and, red-faced, I called the owner at 11pm who graciously helped us find the property. I actually hadn't realised that when the booking was made an extremely detailed itinerary with maps and pictures showing exactly how to locate Hafod was emailed to me.

We arrived at the cottage less than 15 minutes later by travelling along a single track but well-built road, and what a sight the cottage was to behold. We parked up, lit the cottage up with out torches, and couldn't believe how picturesque it was. We also noted that the only sounds were that of the stream that went through the front of the property and that of the odd grazing sheep. Talking about sheep - they are everywhere - you will tread in sheep dung and this is why it's absolutely necessary to not bring shoes into the house, so don't forget your slippers.

Back to the house. Upon entering the property we discovered that the oil fire was switched on which had warmed up the ground floor of the house beautifully (the top of the house was quite cold - stone walls don't insulate much - but by the second day the oil fire had managed to warm it up). There were two copies of the house book which provided detail instructions on the appliances and the generator, which I immediately set about starting. The interior of the property is tactfully done in order to preserve the dated feel of the property while also providing comfort and convenience. The beds and sheets were perfect - the owners really didn't scrimp on this. We had hot and cold running water, however, on our penultimate day we had lost all running water and it was determined that an air pocket had developed. We notified the owners and within 30 minutes they had provided me with extremely detailed instructions on how to sort it out, but I wasn't able to do it myself as I was out with my party so they had maintenance come out and solve it by the time we got back, plus they had provided us with a dozen gallons of bottled water in case we needed. I was beyond impressed with all of this.

After a full night's sleep the next day was pleasantly sunny. The views from the cottage were breathtaking and you really get a sense of isolation as the cottage sits snugly among rolling hills with no sign of civilisation for several miles in any direction. Towards the back of the cottage there is a drop-off with a waterfall and cave. At night time and due to the location of the cottage there is little to no ambient lighting, so you get great views of the stars.

A quick note on the fuel deposit and petrol usage. The property has 3 units that consume some form of fuel. This is the petrol generator that supplies around 1600w of power to the house, the oil stove in the front room that keeps the place warm, and a Rayburn which is a cast iron cooker in the kitchen. The oil stove and rayburn are constantly on and both burn oil. The petrol generator obviously uses petrol. Before arrival a fuel deposit of £100 is taken, and when leaving the oil level is read to determine how much is used and a refund provided. Now, there was 5 of us in the cottage consuming fuel and the amount of fuel we used must have been fairly minimal as I found the amount we had spent in pounds sterling to be VERY reasonable. You'd have to had made a really good go at it to make a serious dent in the deposit.

In conclusion, it was one of the best experiences I've had in Wales thus far and we will definitely be looking to book it again. The owners are fantastic and extremely helpful, and I wish them every success with this cottage.

Your age range 25-34
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beautiful cottage in a beautiful location”
Reviewed 23 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

We loved staying here. It is a wonderful place and a great way to get away from it all! Very remote and very peaceful.

The owners are very helpful and generous too!

Spaceibiz...
“Beautiful cottage, shame about the owners. Would not recommend staying here.”
Reviewed 26 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

This cottage is quaint and set in beautiful snowdonia national park. We were really looking forward to our long weekend away here. After booking, we had to pay a further £100 deposit via PayPal directly to the owners. We spoke to them on the phone and discovered the cottage does not have mains electricity. Electricity is supplied via a petrol generator located in a stone out building attached to the side of the cottage. This was not a problem to me, as I am a car enthusiast and enjoy tinkering around with engines and things like that. We were advised to leave the door propped open with a rock whilst it was running, and to turn it off at night to save petrol.

On arrival, we started the generator, propped the door open and plugged in the extractor fan. The heating in the cottage is via an oil burning stove which was already burning when we arrived. There is an oil burning range cooker which was also on when we arrived. The cottage was supposed to have satellite wifi, but this was not working. We also had no phone signal which we expected anyway. When it got to bedtime, my wife said that she would like the option of being able to put the light on in the night, as the cottage is so remote, when it gets dark, it really gets dark. We were advised to switch the generator off at night to save fuel, but we discussed it and thought for what it would cost, we would just fill it up with some more petrol. At least that way, we would have working electrics. After going to sleep, we were awoken at 1.00am by the carbon monoxide alarm sounding. On the back of the alarm, it said to open windows and doors, turn off any device that may emit carbon monoxide and leave the property until it has been deemed safe by an engineer. The source of carbon monoxide could have been either the generator, oil burning stove, or the range cooker. As the wifi was not working, and we had no phone signal, and there was no land line telephone, our only option was to get in the car and drive 6 miles to the nearest town. We tried to find a carbon monoxide help line to get advice, but they only work 9-5. We had no other option but to call the owners. We explained the situation to them and they diagnosed the problem as the generator. They said turn it off and everything will be fine. After speaking to them, my wife and I discussed our options. We came to the conclusion that it could have been the generator, but without it being checked, we don't know for sure. As carbon monoxide is deadly and cannot be smelt or tasted, we decided we didn't want to take the risk. So we returned to collect our things, and decided to find alternative accommodation.

The next day, we sent a very polite email to the owners, asking if they would consider a refund. Seeing as we had only stayed about 6 hours into a planned 3 night stay. They didn't offer us any refund, and instead tried to make out we were stupid and liars! We contacted Cottages.com as we booked through them. They were very helpful and agreed that we did exactly the right thing in leaving. Cottages.com then issued us a refund, but they couldn't refund us the £100 deposit we paid directly to the owners. Instead of the owners saying you have had a bad experience, here is your deposit back. They continued to be rude to us and flatly refused to give us our deposit back.

So to summarise, it is a beautiful place, but if you have a problem, don't expect any help from the owners or your deposit back!

Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
4 Apr 2018
First, to put matters straight, this booking was cancelled and the guests received a full refund from the company through which they had booked (which was not Character Cottages).

We feel that this review was extremely disappointing, especially in view of the fact that all the issues which occurred were the result of the guests' disregarding our own careful safety recommendations. As they say in the review "We were advised to switch the generator off at night"; however, they did not follow this advice.

The guests did not follow any of our safety instructions: having by their own admission completely ignored three separate safety measures, the carbon monoxide alarm fortunately performed exactly as intended.

We have since checked and double-checked all the safety instructions, precautions and alarms and are reassured that everything works as it should. We have, in addition, provided battery operated motion-sensor LED lights & bedside lights for the convenience of guests.

I cannot say strongly enough how much we care about the safety and enjoyment of all our guests in what is a beautiful remote location. This is the only time in a number of years that anyone has ignored the safety instructions and we are glad to see how much most guests enjoy their stay at Hafod.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing