Kemp's Kamp
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Keystone
See available hotels
K Bar S Lodge(Keystone)
Quality Inn(Keystone)
Roosevelt Inn(Keystone)
All reviewstent campingbeautiful settingcampgroundcabinmtcampfiremilesdeerwoods
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Very friendly, cabins are great for a family, and close to Mt Rushmore! Kids loved the heated pool and the train that went by. It was nice to have a kitchen. Not fancy, but very practical! The owner offered to call for us to see what time the light show started Memorial Day weekend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Pencillady
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Stayed one night, the manager was fine, I saw complaints about him, I disagree, maybe quiet, but not unfriendly, he told us about the nightly show at Mt. Rushmore, and gave us other good advice, and answered every question. We were tent camping, and the road was quiet, the rate was reasonable, and the location close to many Black Hills Sites. Showers were fine, a laundry room, pool, free wifi, A herd of ten deer and twenty turkeys in camp most of the time, I thought this was one of our best campgrounds, driving cross-country. There was electric if you wanted it. As a bonus there was a pow-wow somewhere in the hills, and we fell asleep listening to drums, and chanting, in the distance. I would go back anytime I'm passing through. Yes, I saw bees, but we had more bees in our school playground, when I was a kid, it's camping.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank JohnKy55
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Kemps Kamp is a nice location for all the SD sites. We stayed there for four nights in a cabin and was very disappointed in everything except the location. The owner is rude and totally unaccomodating. If you are going to pay to stay in a cabin and are expecting the normal things like a coffee pot or say a stove, you better ask because they are not there. If you want to pay the extra $40 a night you can get the kitchette cabin, but don't expect anything that is normally in a cabin to be there. All you get is a microwave. The showers are so small if you drop the soap you have to stoop down to pick it up, no bending over. If there is only one bed, you get two towels. I was told "one bed, two people, two towels", and two pillows. The first night we stayed we came back and our cabin hadn't been cleaned. The beds are full size, not queen size. There are no dressers or anywhere to put suitcases except on the floor. No closets to hang anything. The only good thing I can say is if you are camping it seemed to be a nice place. There is a nice clean pool, but it closes at dark no exceptions. I suppose if you were camping you would have all the necessary items I talked about. It is right on the highway so if you have little kids I would not recommend camping there. You can buy nothing from them except ice, so don't ask because he is very put out and looks at you like you are an idot when you ask for anything. Rude and unaccomodating are the adjectives that come to mind to describe the owner and his help (who happen to be his kids). PS. Bring your own pillow because they splurged on the $3 cheap ones.

Room Tip: When the owner tells you "he has the best view in the state" its BS. Once you have booked your cabin or campsite there is no refund, no excuse he charges you. So make sure you want to stay there because you can't cancel and get a refund no matter how much advance notice you give.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Wendy K
Reviewed 21 August 2012

If you are camping here be prepared to bat off the bees...yellow jackets...they were everywhere.
Got stung by one, heel of my foot.

We had a nice site facing the road and train tracks. Lots of traffic during the day, nights were quite.

Had a handful of cable stations. The bath houses were old but clean.

Great location for Mt Rushmore and other attractions.

$44.00 per night for full hookups, no discounts of any kind. There were many other campgrounds in the area for $29.00 per night, so I would say that this campground is a bit pricey.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank LillyBKDK
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

Spent one night here on our cross country trip. I called repeatedly to make sure we'd have a sight and the manager was very insistent that we be checked in before 8:30 so not to disturb the guests. We raced from Yellowstone to the camp and made it by 8:10 the checkin was very smooth and we had free choice of location. We chose a site far away from the road as we could but we still heard plenty of cars during the night. The site was purely dirt, which I guess is better than rocks but could've been nicer. Furthermore, for all the urging of being quite we heard music until about 11 that night. The showers were nice and warm and the pool looked nice as well. No serious complaints but overall the camp was just average

• Stayed: August 2012